Filters On The Lens

rubiton

Well was looking at the filter on my 100-400mm lens last weekend (hadn't been out with it for a while) and if you buy a lens that expensive always get a filter to protect it. Saw what looked like dust or mark that needed cleaning on the filter so went to clean it off - nope actually appears to be damage from grit or something. Only on the edge on one side and doesn't affect the photos but damn glad that filter is there as the lens is good as new.

Always protect your gear!

Yep, I have a UV filter on my lenses. Well not the 50mm 1.8 as it's a cheap lens but on my other 2 I do.

I read on the Canon forum some guy saying it degrades your shots by making them softer but I'd rather protect my lens and I'm very happy with my purchases. I leave the filters on them all the time.

Thats a myth - the 'softer' crap. I would have noticed by now.

Perhaps if you were putting them on the side of a house just maybe there might be a difference if you were to search but not for normal shots for normal prints. Better to be safe with expensive lens.

Thats a myth - the 'softer' crap. I would have noticed by now.

Perhaps if you were putting them on the side of a house just maybe there might be a difference if you were to search but not for normal shots for normal prints. Better to be safe with expensive lens.

Just make sure it's a decent quality filter. Not much point in putting a $10 filter when you pay big dollars for the glass on your lens.