Advice Wanted On Escaping Dog

Hi everyone

I am seeking some good ideas on how to contain my brand new foster boy (lab x pointer) in my yard....

I picked him up from Albury on Wednesday, and by last night, he had already escaped. I think the local pound have him atm, I'll be going down to bail him out later this afternoon, but I need to find a way this will not happen again.

I have a fully enclosed backyard with solid wood 6ft fences surrounding most of it, and in some parts, there are fence extensions making them even higher. There are no holes, gaps, sneaky escape spots or anything. I didn't see him escape, so I can only assume he jumped the fence; that or scaled it. I'll be trying to find out how he did it, but until then, are there any good ways to keep a dog in the backyard?

I live in a rental property, so can't make any permanent modifications, and I'm relatively short on cash. Also, as he's a foster, ideally, whatever is set up would be able to be transferred/given/sold to his new owners.

He's a very, very smart dog. I think he just gets bored when no one is home, and can't see a reason to stay in a yard by himself when it's easy to just jump and leave. I can give him all the usual fun things (kongs, toys, bones etc) but as we all work full time, I can't see those things entertaining him for 8-10 hours every day, enough to keep him wanting to stay.

Any ideas would be welcomed :eek:

Our dog used to jump our fences with no problems, and they are all at least 6 ft colourbond, and two of the side fences were even higher than that. In his case, he didn't even need to scramble for purchase on the way over. We got some cheap wire mesh, a bit like chookwire, and attached it to the top of the fence so that flopped out and down inside the fenceline. Because it widens the barrier, and gets in the way, he quickly learnt not to jump it. After about 3 months or so, we took it down again, and he hasn't done it since.

Set up a hot wire system around the fence.

You can purchase a 12v fence unit, hot wire and small battery which should cost you under $200. Very effective and he'll only try to jump once! :D

Go to Bunnings, they will have the equipment you need. You may need to go to Super Cheap Auto for the battery.

My mum has had success with chicken wire along the bottom of the fence at a 45 degree angle (probably 2ft wide). My sister's dog can't stand on it to get a good push and because it is angled she would have to jump from 2ft away from the fence to be able to get over it. She tried once and went head first into the fence and hasnt attempted since, although it would be a 7ft jump at an unnatural angle for a dog.