Braces For My Dogs Teeth

just been told my 7 month old bull terrier will probably need braces .He's seeing a dog orthodontist soon. Has anyone heard of this problem he is purebred from a well known breeder bought as a pet only dog.

This isnt actually something abnormal.

Dogs have worn braces to fix dental issues just like us humans BUT it would want to be a severe issue before heading done this path.It is very expensive & i believe doesnt always guarantee a result.

Many Bullies have bad bites ,its a problem with the breed that frustrates many an ethical breeder .

Have you taken the pup back to the breeder for there opinion or just the dentist??

What issue has the vet diagnosed that this is the avenue they are considering .Are the teeth affecting the gums??

I just cannot fathom what sort of bad bite this dog would have that he would NEED braces.

Dogs with reverse scissor bites can eat just was well as dogs with normal scissor bites can. Undershot bites can eat and survive fine, as can overshot. A few misaligned teeth do not affect a pet dogs ability to lead a normal life, so why would someone suggest a PET dog have orthodontic work? If it was for the show ring, where a misaligned tooth would affect the dogs ability, then maybe, but a pet? I just cannot think of anything that would need this sort of work done. It's not like the dog is going to be catching and killing his own dinner, is it?

"I just cannot fathom what sort of bad bite this dog would have that he would NEED braces."

Exactly .I now of a dog that had it done BUT it also involved having its jaw broken etc etc.

Some of the doggy dentists go oover the top & boy do they cost a fortune.

There is only one dog that i have seen myself that needed to see a dentist & that was a clients dog & the teeth would actually lock together & this dog couldnt drink/pant/eat.The vet they saw wanted them to spend a $$$ to get braces & they couldnt afford it .It was boarding with us & boy what a problem child over the summer.We told them all it needed was a two teethed removed & all would be fine.They went to our vet who did the procedure & the dog is now enjoying new experiences & cost a hell aot cheaper

[his bottom canines are pushing into his jaw between the top teeth and have caused some gum damage already. Recommended by the vet to see this pet orthodontist or he will have a terrible gum infection if he dosen't according to the vet.

Hmm ok interesting. What do you feed? It might be cheaper for you to get those canines removed rather than repositioned. Just a thought. Would be interested to hear what the orthodontist says! Good luck!

That's the only two options with that sort of problem- remove the offending teeth or reposition them.

Have seen lots of Staffies and Malts and Shih-Tzu's with same problem.

It has nothing to do with diet- it's caused by trying to fit the same amount of teeth in a Labrador or Kelpie with a nice elongated muzzle as a dog that is brachycephalic and short a good few inches- you get overcrowding.

Mel.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

[his bottom canines are pushing into his jaw between the top teeth and have caused some gum damage already. Recommended by the vet to see this pet orthodontist or he will have a terrible gum infection if he dosen't according to the vet.

Can you post a photo?

I spoke to a canine orthodontist once about putting braces on a dog's teeth.

His opinion was, that if the dog was not fully mature, then any alteration made by the braces could change after the skull reaches maturity.

There was no guarantee that you would get the desired result, even in a mature dog.

Other problems would occur from gum infection caused by bacteria from food stuck in the braces.

This would also be a very costly procedure.

He said to me, "I could take someone's money, if they insisted on having it done, but there would be no guarantee on achieving the desired result."

If the dog's canines are causing damage to the gums, then I would probably consider having them removed.

Julie

If it is causing painful damage to his jaw and gums then yes, something needs to be done. I'm no expert, but I would certainly vote for going down the line of removal rather than braces. Speaking from personal experience, braces can be very very painful, and often need a lot of post maintenance otherwise the teeth can quickly go back out of position once the wires are removed. One of my JRT (rescue dog) had a few teeth removed, including canine. It really didn't effect what he could eat too much, and certainly not as much as I imagine braces would on a dog.