Worming

This is going to sound like a really silly question but anyway........

Can you over worm your dogs?

I give my dogs worming tablets that you are suppose to give them every three months.

Well anyway OH wormed the dogs thinking they needed doing last month for some reason, then this morning I wormed them again (when they were due). He never mentioned that he had wormed them :love: and as I buy the large 100 bottles I never noticed the tablets missing. He walked in just as I was giving the last dog her last tablet informing me he had done them last month. Are the going to be OK?? I am really worried out them being "over wormed" if that is possible.

Any help would be great!!!

Thanks

I've wondered re this too, as I give my girl a monthly heartworm chewy that covers some other (but not all) worms. Then she gets the 3-monthly all-wormer tablet, which overlaps with some of the heartworm treatment.

Though I guess over is better than under?? Will be interesting to see what others reckon...

They will be ok, puppies are wormed fortnightly when babies and sometimes if a dog has a heavy infestation it's recommended that you worm twice in quick succession, one treatment followed by another in two weeks time.

Miss Helena if the monthly tablet you are giving treats all worms except tapeworm it's possible to buy Droncit which covers tapeworm only, it's not necessary to give an all wormer every three months.

They will be ok, puppies are wormed fortnightly when babies and sometimes if a dog has a heavy infestation it's recommended that you worm twice in quick succession, one treatment followed by another in two weeks time.

Miss Helena if the monthly tablet you are giving treats all worms except tapeworm it's possible to buy Droncit which covers tapeworm only, it's not necessary to give an all wormer every three months.

Aha, thanks Miranda, I'll look into that....

i sincerly Doubt you will have any problem's at all, just very worm free dogs :) . Your much better off doing it to often than not often enough. On the odd occasion i have lost tract of mines worming schedule so i jusy give them an extra tab and start it all over again. :love:

i sincerly Doubt you will have any problem's at all, just very worm free dogs :laugh: . Your much better off doing it to often than not often enough. On the odd occasion i have lost tract of mines worming schedule so i jusy give them an extra tab and start it all over again. :laugh:

Where dogs are coprophagic it is recommended to worm every SIX weeks for YOUR safety. Droncit can be used at the six week interval, but it is more expensive than the Troy Allwormer, so this is my vet's drug of choice.

When dogs come into the pound, they all get vaccinated, wormed and flea treated on arrival and I assume some of them have recently been wormed. I have never seem an obvious effect from over-worming. I think they should be ok, maybe give the vet a quick call to double check and put your mind at ease?

It won't be a problem at all, the previous dose left your dogs system about 29 days ago. The recommended intervals for treatments are spaced for lifepspans and liklihood of infestation of worms, not protection of your dogs tummy. Adult fosters coming into my care are wormed monthly for the first 3 months with no ill effects on them, just their worms...

This is going to sound like a really silly question but anyway........

Can you over worm your dogs?

I give my dogs worming tablets that you are suppose to give them every three months.

Well anyway OH wormed the dogs thinking they needed doing last month for some reason, then this morning I wormed them again (when they were due). He never mentioned that he had wormed them :laugh: and as I buy the large 100 bottles I never noticed the tablets missing. He walked in just as I was giving the last dog her last tablet informing me he had done them last month. Are the going to be OK?? I am really worried out them being "over wormed" if that is possible.

Any help would be great!!!

Thanks

It won't hurt them, as others have said, puppies should be wormed every 14 days. Most breeders worm pups every 2 weeks so more frequent de-worming of your adults is not going to be a problem. It's the same chemical/drug. While no one wants to bombard their dogs with chemicals/drugs to de-worm them, it's a MUST DO!