Zippy Collars

Erny not sure if the rule has changed but the latest copy of Dogs Victoria says that members are prohibited from using e-collars too.

Yeah .... but that's not Victorian Law. It's merely ANKC/DogsVic policy. It's what they have chosen as their policy. They allow check chains and head-collars, although I have seen damage (especially from the use of the latter) inadvertently being caused by those. If you go to ANKC affiliated clubs, you are bound to respect their policy (regardless of what policies these might be), just as you would with any other Club's 'policy'. But it is not State "law".

ETA: I was not aware, until very recently, that the ANKC/DogsVic don't permit use of e-collars. I was quite surprised, actually, given that their use is permitted in a "restricted" fashion, by law. So I guess it is a 'personal' choice they have adopted. Their prerogative.

As an aside - I thought DogsVic, particularly given the Government's accepted influence of it, would have needed to be an organisation that doesn't preclude other trainers; owners; etc. from membership based on 'personal preference' though.

Doesn't seem to be the case in this instance? :hug:

Edited by Erny

Just a further thought to my post above (and I'm sorry, KJA, because it momentarily takes your thread to one side) ....

If I wanted to be a 'responsible' breeder and, going by the thoughts of many registered breeders here this would necessitate me being an ANKC member, this means I am also obliged to agree/observe the training methods prescribed by the ANKC?

This is perhaps a post that should be the beginning of another thread .... I have to dash out right now but will perhaps begin one when I get back later.

PS .. I'm not a breeder, nor do I intend to be, BTW.

I tried an e-collar out on Darcy, it was only ever on the vibrate setting. It did stop him barking, although one day when he had it on somehow the setting got turned up to full. My parents were monitoring him with the collar on and noticed him running around the yard in a frenzy, it was shocking him constantly. So yeah the e-collar just didn't work for us. I'm still at a loss at what to do about him barking.

I've heard really good reports about the e-collar working though. I guess its just dependent on the dog and what behaviour you are trying to deter them from.

My understanding of the collar is that the dog is meant to wear it for an extended amount of time before the training begins so that it does not associate the collar with corrections?

In addition, yeah the timing is really important as it is with any praise or correction, you're meant to issue the pulse as the dog is considering doing something/as soon as it starts rather than when it's in full swing yeah?

SAS, using e-collars for +P was the way they were originally used when they were first invented...and while some still use them in that fashion for some applications, e-collars and methods have become much more refined over time. With the use of low level stim (which wasn't available with the old fashioned collars)...that is at a level just where the dog can first percieve it....some refer to it as the equivalent of a flea bite, the e-collar can be used to teach and train a dog using -R.

Check out some of these articles:

http://www.loucastle.com/articles.htm

ETA: Yes, you're right....the dog should wear the collar for a while with no stim being applied so that he doesn't associate the stim with the collar.

Edited by Rom

I tried an e-collar out on Darcy, it was only ever on the vibrate setting. It did stop him barking, although one day when he had it on somehow the setting got turned up to full. My parents were monitoring him with the collar on and noticed him running around the yard in a frenzy, it was shocking him constantly. So yeah the e-collar just didn't work for us. I'm still at a loss at what to do about him barking.

I've heard really good reports about the e-collar working though. I guess its just dependent on the dog and what behaviour you are trying to deter them from.

That was an anti-bark collar, Poocow? Don't know what brand/type you used, but I have never heard this being experienced with the one that I use/hire.

I am aware that if a setting is too high (which is wrong, and in your case accidental) can cause a dog to yelp/vocalise. Is it to this that you mean your dog was receiving the stim "constantly"?