Where Should I Train My Dog

Have you looked into 4Paws K9 Training in Keilor? I don't think it's too far from the StKilda area and it's predominantly play based training I believe (although I don't think it's a trialing club) with qualified instructors.

Sorry - being on the other side of Oz - I can't help with where to train but from previous experience if you are really interested in trialling it would be well worth the money forking out for a private lesson with a positive trainer once every 4-6 weeks, especially if you have little previous experience.

The right person would be able to give you plenty of training ideas to continue on with and would be able to set you up for what you need for the higher classes early on, and would also be able to pick you up on mistakes prior to them becoming ingrained :confused:

You could then use the club training for distraction training and to proof what you had learnt.

You won't be looked at funny at Rotty club, you will just join us as members of the Nott-a-Rott club. :confused:

Perhaps contact Cosmolo or Erny, as they both do private tuition, and I think that Cosmolo has group sessions now.

Croydon is a postive/food luring club. Using a marker word rather than a clicker. Clickers can be a bit tricky in a class situation. Not sure if Croydon is easier to get to than KCC park for you.

You go through Puppy class for 8 weeks, Basic 1 for 12 weeks and Basic 2 for 12 weeks. You can then go into the intermediate class, which trains trialling stuff. There is a ring set up for run throughs. Training is on a Sunday morning.

Guest Tess32

Couple of years ago. Has it had a major rehaul in that time? There are plenty of other schools around and I see no point for someone after clicker training to go to a school which offers the complete opposite. There are other alternatives.

Yeah it has changed alot in recent years. Not saying it is what you are after, but it isn't as 'traditional' as it used to be. I use food and positive reward and no one has said anything so far.

Guest Tess32

Good for Southern. But there are clubs that encourage rewards rather than just not say anything, aren't there? Do they *teach* various exercises using rewards?

It seems a waste of money to go to a club and not learn how to teach anything because they aren't using even a similar method.

I have nothing against people who want to train at Southern and I hope it has changed in the last few years as it was a crap hole of a club before - but it's not like the OP is close to Southern or after mostly traditional training so I don't really see any need to push for that club??

I am not pushing for the club, was just wondering how long ago you were there, as to where your judgement was coming from.

Yes I know the OP is not exactly close, but other people reading the thread my be interested and your opinions seem to be a little outdated. As you can see from my replies in this thread, I am not pushing Southern, if anything the RCV gets my vote hands down. As you have said to the OP (and I said it to) you need to experience what the clubs offer so that you can personally decide as to what will work for you best. I have also stated that I have had my fair share of bad experiences at Southern, so I don't see that as 'pushing' the club :rolleyes:

Keep up the discussion guys - lots of useful information here, for me and other readers.I don't mind if we start straying a little OT.

In the end, I guess I'm going to have to go along to these clubs and check them out personally.

Can I assume they are willing to have visitors come along and watch some classes from the sidelines?

I plan on dropping Ermy and Cosmolo a PM. I might also try to check out an ADT session or two.

There's only so many days in the week and only 1 Sunday! I want to get started ASAP but there's no shortcut to picking a club/school. Que sera sera :rolleyes:

Guest Tess32

Most of us don't continue to revisit clubs that were crap Suz. Seeing as they still don't teach reward based methods and have trainers that make you cry, it seems they really haven't changed that much.

Thats the best thing to do LukeW. I haven't found a club that isn't welcome to people coming along to watch.

ADT have an info session that is free, but you have to book in. You get to sit down at the end with a trainer and go through what you are looking for and whether it would be suitable for you etc.

I had the number of a lady that did purely clicker training, as I was thinking of going there with Bronson. I will try and find it, if not I know someone that had it. I will PM you. She only does private lessons though.

Most of us don't continue to revisit clubs that were crap Suz. Seeing as they still don't teach reward based methods and have trainers that make you cry, it seems they really haven't changed that much.

As I said 'in the past' and also said it had changed :rolleyes:

I didn't ask you to go back there, was just saying that it had changed. I am not going to get into an argument about Southern with you, I just wanted to let other people to know that your opinion isn't reflective of the current training methods at the club!!

I'm not sure whether I should consider a private school (ADT in Hawthorn or Oakleigh for example) or a club (Southern Obedience in Bangholm, Moorabbin Obedience, etc). I'd prefer not to have to travel TOO far.

I've heard good things about ADT and Southern Obedience. I've heard less than favorable comments about Moorabbin.

The OP specifically asked about Southern, thats why questions is being talked about

The puppy classes at southern are also run very differently than the adult classes, they are food based and very positive

And quoting myself to reiterate that the puppy classes are taught with food and positive reinforcement

I think the best idea is to go to the clubs you think you ight be interested in, so then you can get an idea for yourself, though it is good to hear good and bad about clubs from others. Not sure about moorabbin but southern is also on wed nights so if you run out of weekend you could always go down then (though puppy classes arent on wed only sunday)

Also agree with whoever said about getting private classes too, but once again you will still probably want to see a few people and how they work to decide whats best for you and your pup. And that way you can use clicker too. Clicker can be difficult in a class situation, as it sounds the same, so if there are a few people using it, and the dog is relatively new to it, it could be confusing

Edited by shoemonster

If we were to talk ideal training with a trialling aim, i would suggest a combination of one on one training and practical group training (with both of those instructors understanding you wish to trial) and then going to a trialling club with the confidence and knowledge to be able to use different techniques than the 'norm' once you reach a certain level.

I stuck to my guns when i went to Southern and they ended up leaving me alone which was fine by me but it wasn't easy and if you don't have alot of experience, it can be difficult to go against the grain as you won't get the help that is in line with your preferences.

As a professional trainer, i use both positive reward or drive rewards and compulsion/ corrections- once the dog knows the exercise. Giving a correction to a dog is not an evil or purely old fashioned thing- provided it is done properly- as with any training. I use to train with no corrections but then chose to use corrections when i was taught how to. Most of my clients choose to use corrections when shown BUT a few don't and i respect their choice and we use other methods.

If we were to talk ideal training with a trialling aim, i would suggest a combination of one on one training and practical group training (with both of those instructors understanding you wish to trial) and then going to a trialling club with the confidence and knowledge to be able to use different techniques than the 'norm' once you reach a certain level.

I stuck to my guns when i went to Southern and they ended up leaving me alone which was fine by me but it wasn't easy and if you don't have alot of experience, it can be difficult to go against the grain as you won't get the help that is in line with your preferences.

As a professional trainer, i use both positive reward or drive rewards and compulsion/ corrections- once the dog knows the exercise. Giving a correction to a dog is not an evil or purely old fashioned thing- provided it is done properly- as with any training. I use to train with no corrections but then chose to use corrections when i was taught how to. Most of my clients choose to use corrections when shown BUT a few don't and i respect their choice and we use other methods.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment everyone.

Cosmolo...Thanks, I think that might be the track I head down...some private training, some work on my own, then join a club once I gain some competency.

...You've prompted me to learn about 'corrections'...I'm reading Leerburg now.. ( http://leerburg.com/corrections.htm )

• 2 weeks later...

Underdog training has trained me to teach my puppy... :cool: I too am hoping to do competitive obedience and agility and through a combination of private and group sessions I'm now comfortable with a training style that suits my puppy. (A Belgian Shepherd with a whole lot of atitude.) I plan on starting at a 'trialling' club within the next month. (And continuing with underdog 'cos I've learnt so much and it's such good fun!)