Ideas For Treats/rewards

kbo

My boy is on a raw food diet, and I need some ideas for 'natural' treats and rewards. As he is prone to ear infections (yeast) I'm trying to avoid:

• processed snack foods with additives etc
  • grains
  • any yeast producing foods

which is making it difficult to come up with a list!

Also, what do you think of products that claim they are 100% liver etc? I was given a sample pack recently of 100% liver drops and they are light and crunchy and I can't figure out how it can just be liver with nothing else added!

My boy is on a raw food diet, and I need some ideas for 'natural' treats and rewards. As he is prone to ear infections (yeast) I'm trying to avoid:
  • grains

There was a thread on here a few months ago on that topic. Some of the suggestions that I have since used are:

Chicken hearts or livers - lightly microwaved to be less squishy.

Cheese

Diced apple, carrot or sweet potato. I was a bit dubious about this 1, but it turns out my guys all eat it quite happily.

Dehydrated Liver

Kngaroo Mini Roasts or steaks, cooked and diced

Jackpot rewards can be raw chicken wings or necks, cans of sardines.

At the Adelaide Pet Expo there was a stand with someone selling natural pet treats. They are available in the Supermaket but I forget the brand name :rolleyes: They had lamb crumbles which my guys loved.

Hope that helps, try doing a search and you may find the old thread. There were quite a few pages and some great ideas.

When I had the pugs I used to dry slices of liver out in the oven. It smells bad but they loved them.

you just slice it thin and lay it out on a baking tray in a slow oven until dried to the level you prefer.

I have real problems with training treats for caesar as he is not food driven at all.

Also, what do you think of products that claim they are 100% liver etc? I was given a sample pack recently of 100% liver drops and they are light and crunchy and I can't figure out how it can just be liver with nothing else added!

All the moisture is removed by freeze drying.

My pups favorites are:

Kramar Supa Naturals

Slow Roatsed Chicken Liver Bits (100% chicken liver)

Boiled chicken breast.

Edited by Luke W

• grains

There was a thread on here a few months ago on that topic. Some of the suggestions that I have since used are:

Cheese

Diced apple, carrot or sweet potato. I was a bit dubious about this 1, but it turns out my guys all eat it quite happily.

Dehydrated Liver

At the Adelaide Pet Expo there was a stand with someone selling natural pet treats. They are available in the Supermaket but I forget the brand name :confused: They had lamb crumbles which my guys loved.

Hope that helps, try doing a search and you may find the old thread. There were quite a few pages and some great ideas.

Pretty sure this is the thread you are talking about?

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=128070&

I use sweet potato for Kyzer's treats too, he loves it!

Still getting around to trying apple. :rolleyes:

My lad has to avoid all the artificial flavours/colours/preservatives so I use chopped cooked chicken, boiled egg, raw carrot, apple, tinned salmon, ricotta cheese and yoghurt (in little jackpot containers). Nature's Gift training treats are great for us too :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Many thanks for the ideas, I checked out the other thread too. I also had a look at pawzazzpetz.com.au as recommended on the other thread; I never knew you could buy all those different types of freeze dried meats - I think they will be winner!

My main source of treats has been fresh fruit (apple, pear, blueberries) but I've become wary of them in case they cause a flare up with his yeasty ears. Does anyone have any advice on whether dried fruit would cause yeast flare ups, or certain types of vegetables? I would think veges like (raw) carrots and celery etc would be ok, I think it is only starchy veges that may cause a problem???

I'm happy to hear there are also packet treats that have all natural ingredients, it will be so much easier to take a few crunchy treats out on walks, rather than bits of raw meat as I'm currently doing!

• grains

which is making it difficult to come up with a list!

I sell 100% natural dried liver and chicken at my grooming salon in Adelaide,,, I know its 100% because we make it ourselves.. get yourself a dehydrator from a food store and make it yourself... only way to be sure i guess.

I use dried bananna and apple, 1 of my Springers has had bowel surgery (with compliactions) :laugh: and as a result he cannot tolerate fat in his diet, the bananna and apple are fine with him, the rest of the Springer's will eat anything.

Also see if you can get some Thornit powder for his ears, great stuff.

Due to allergies we can't use the standard doggie treats or chicken, so we're down to Cabanossi, the only packaged product that has stuff the boy can eat. Apart from that cheese cubes work too.

I am considering buying a dehydrator and making my own treats.

Edited by sas

Darcy had parvo as a pup and as a result of that had complications in his gut. Have to be really careful what I feed him, has to be natural, no colours, preservatives, flavours etc. I give him , ziwipeak treats, liver treats, diced cheese, chicken (cooked) or sausage (cooked).

I tried cabanossi with him - all I got was a lovely present of vomit :thumbsup:

Might try the dried fruit and the yoghurt drops.

I am so used to handling raw offal etc that I just use that as treats. I cut liver and kidneys and wear gloves :rolleyes:

If I need treats outside of the house, which I'm guessing you do, I put Ziwi Peak (regular dry food) into a glad press-seal bag. It's one of the best quality processed dog foods but very expensive, so I just use it for treats. The size of the pieces is convenient.

• 2 months later...
  • grains

Cheese

Dehydrated Liver

At the Adelaide Pet Expo there was a stand with someone selling natural pet treats. They are available in the Supermaket but I forget the brand name :rolleyes: They had lamb crumbles which my guys loved.

Pretty sure this is the thread you are talking about?

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=128070&

I use sweet potato for Kyzer's treats too, he loves it!

Still getting around to trying apple. ;)

Is that raw sweet potato?