Herding For Fun

Hi, we have a beautiful 4mo border collie (will get some pics up when we can) and his doing really well with all his training but we want to give him a bit more activity.

We've heard of a farm of some sort that you can take your dog to and let them run lose to some extent and herd up sheep.

Can anyone let me know if we've heard right and if so where can we find it? Is their a website?

Thanks for reading. :)

Hi renetta

I doubt anyone will let you just run loose with your pup on sheep.

What state are you located in as most states have herding groups whether they are on private property or on CCC grounds. All will offer you advice on starting your pup in herding as well.

Come and join the BC thread as well and show off your pup too

The Vic Herding club run workshops at KCC Park every now and then. We took the dogs along to one and they had a blast.

It's *not* about letting your pup run wild with livestock.....it's very controlled, supervised etc. and in the case of a 4 month old puppy (Dusty was that age when we took her) the sessions are kept extremely short and the trainer watches carefully to keep the pup from being scared by the sheep. The pup will more than likely wear a longline so it can be pulled to safety if need be.

Guest Tess32

Is there a website for the VIC herding club? The VCA diary only says "herding tests and trials" so not sure when they have other days.

I don't understand how you teach a dog the art of herding with a long line??

You don't teach them. You give them exposure to livestock and keep them and the livestock safe at the same time. The workshop we went to was for dogs of all experience levels......the closest mine had ever been to sheep was via a lamb chop in their dinner bowl. They learned nothing aside from what sheep look like and how they move. Benson didn't care much for them and spent most of the time with his nose to the ground sniffing the sheep poo. Dusty thought they were the best things ever and charged right in amongst them.

The longline kept her from getting trampled when she got too close and enthusiastic.

Thanks GayleK.

I feel that the lead supresses the young dog's instinct, especially in a pup who is learning. Young pups should only ever be put into small yards with 3 or so very "dogged" sheep. We've never had a problem and I've never seen a problem with this.

Same goes with older dogs who have never been with sheep before.

We run regular herding workshops and have never used lines with any of the dogs who've come and had a go. In fact, they've all come away having worked the sheep to the best of their abilities on the day. No leads, no lines, just skillful handling and guiding.

Don't the lines get all tangled up around the sheep/dog??

Don't the lines get all tangled up around the sheep/dog??

No.

The line was long and loose and I doubt she even realised she had it on. She didn't trip or get tangled and she had a blast. It certainly didn't supress any instinct that I could see.

To be honest, I couldn't see myself doing it on a regular basis. It was fun to see if the natural herding instinct kick in but herding as a dog-sport doesn't do a whole lot for me, I'm afraid. I can see where some people would love it though.

Edited by GayleK