Dog Vomit

vnv

My dog just vomited up her whole breakfast. I was standing at the back door and saw her do it. I went out and poked around with a stick (yes, gross I know but I was worried). It was all her kibble she had for breakfast and a big piece of something I couldn't recognise. I asked my OH and he said that he had dropped a bit of beef from his chinese food he had for lunch and she had eaten it. She seems fine otherwise.

She has thrown up small amounts before, once a piece of beef heart from her dinner and once it was just some grass that she had eaten.

Should I be worried?

Just bringing up one meal is nothing to worry about IMO.

Keep an eye on her, if she becomes flat (lethargic), her temp raises, or she is not herself then I would be watching her very closely.

I would not give her anything else to eat until later (at least 12 hours from when she was sick) - give her tummy time to settle. When you do feed her, give her something like a little chicken broth over some kibble (half her normal amount) as an example. If she keeps that down and appears normal, just go back to normal the next day.

Good luck

Jodie

Thanks, I'm trying not to worry. It's hard to tell if she is lethargic since she normally sleeps all day anyway and that's what she's doing now. She is alert and comes when I call her though. I'll take her for a walk later and see how she is then.

Dogs vomit very easily, it's a survival mechanism. Dogs are scavengers by nature and some literally eat anything so they are designed to vomit up anything which may be harmful before it can cause them any problems. Dogs will also sometimes vomit if they eat too much too fast or if they've eaten something that cannot be digested (such as large chunks of bone). It is also common for dogs to eat their vomit especially if they've thrown up a meal, sounds gross, but this is normal dog behaviour.

If the dog is otherwise well I wouldn't worry about it.

Dogs vomit very easily, it's a survival mechanism. Dogs are scavengers by nature and some literally eat anything so they are designed to vomit up anything which may be harmful before it can cause them any problems. Dogs will also sometimes vomit if they eat too much too fast or if they've eaten something that cannot be digested (such as large chunks of bone). It is also common for dogs to eat their vomit especially if they've thrown up a meal, sounds gross, but this is normal dog behaviour.

If the dog is otherwise well I wouldn't worry about it.

timely thread

My puppy threw up last night after her dinner (rehydratable food). She ate then decided to run around a lot, very very fast. She then threw up. She seems fine since - except for the wanting to eat her vomit last night - made me feel sicker than her. She seems happy today though.

I am trying to keep her a little quiet after meals now.

Must be the day for it Lead and Feather - it sounds like your girl will be fine.

My westie girl, who seems to have a bit of a sensitive tummy, has thrown up three times this afternoon - once on the lounge! :laugh: - and after the first chuck she ate the vomit. :laugh: She had half a chicken frame for brekkie, then afterwards I had to go out for a couple of hours - I came home and she threw up - looked like the chicken from this morning and some grass. :laugh: Yet my westie boy (aka garbage guts!) is fine and he had the other half of the frame and it looked and smelt fine - so I'm confident the chicken frame was fine and not 'off'. She had a chicken frame last Sunday and wolfed it down without bother.

She's snoozing on the lounge now and isn't hot, her tummy was 'tight' and a little distended, but isn't anymore since the last vomit and she isn't in any obvious discomfort. So I'm just going to watch her and give her a little chicken stock tonight (to make sure she's well hydrated) and a light brekkie in the morning.

Any other suggestions, comments or advice??

Cheers,

Westiemum :laugh:

I worry when:

- many meals in a row are vomited

- the dog shows no interest in eating the vomit

- the dog stands like its stomach hurts and belly muscles are tense

- the dog has a fever or acts lethargic

I agree with the others -- dogs are natural regurgitators, and in most cases, a puking dog can be ignored.

Guest Tess32

That's nothing. I'll never forget when Reilly threw up half a chicken and then spent the next 10 mins eating it alllllll up again :)

I agree with the above posts - they seem to sum it all up! Dogs are very "vomity" (is that a word?? LOL). This is much better than horses though, as they can't vomit at all and can end up with colic of varying degrees if they eat the wrong thing. My beloved pony died years ago of very bad colic. It was the most distressing thing to watch, as despite meds and full-on vet attention, he seemed in EXTREME pain. :laugh:

On a lighter note, I *worry* if Bonnie vomits on my bed :)