Heartworm

Did a search but couldnt find an answer.

I am enquiring on behalf of a friend. She hasnt heartworm treated her dogs in over 6 months. They are Mini Foxie/Jack Russell type dogs.

She was told by her vet that Advocate is fine to use on the dogs without getting a heartworm blood test done first. She said that you only need the test done when you give your dogs the heartworm injection. She is worried about this as she has heard mixed views.

Can anyone enlighten me?

I think your friend may have misunderstood the vet.

Any dog over 6 months of age needs to be tested before giving heartworm medication. If there is break in giving heartworm meds to older dogs then they need to be tested again before recommencing the meds.

Personally I would not give the heartworm injection to my dogs irrespective of age.

Edited by cavNrott

I think your friend may have misunderstood the vet.

Any dog over 6 months of age needs to be tested before giving heartworm medication. If there is break in giving heartworm meds to older dogs then they need to be tested again before recommencing the meds.

Personally I would not give the heartworm injection to my dogs irrespective of age.

I wouldnt give mine the heartworm injection either. No she didnt misunderstand the vet, thats definately what she said. Thanks for the info :)

I would be having the blood test.

Giving advocate over 6 month of age to a dog that might have heart worm can mask the fact, according to my vet.

IMO - after doing some research I would never have the yearly injections given, too many side effects from what I read.

I *think* Revolution is the only one okay to give without a test as it breaks the worm down, whereas the other products kill the worm which then blocks the arteries, killing the dog.

Please don't quote me on this :)

"ADVOCATE may be safely applied to heartworm infected dogs therefore there is no absolute requirement for a heartworm test before commencing treatment. However a diagnostic test for heartworm prior to commencement of treatment is recommended to ensure the optimum health of dogs".

Straight from the info sheet out of my dog's packet of Advocate :)

BUT I would still want to test my dogs to know that they were free of heartworm :)