Schutzhund Club Accepting "other" Breeds

And oceanausies weim we will pass as a fawn dobe, just needs some tan markings, nothing too difficult, shoe polish will do, and we will hope it doesnt rain. ;)

:confused: I should give it a try!

Weimaraners are actually now for their high prey drive and protective instinct. That's the reason why in Germany only a hunter is allowed to get a weim.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the reason why in Germany only a hunter is allowed to get a weim.

Are you saing there are no pet weims in Germany???? ;)

Well, a pedigree Weimaraner with papers is only allowed to go to a hunter. That does't mean hunter as a profession but could be a sportshunter. Only in very rare circumstances are Weims given to a non-hunter. Unpapered Weims mainly coming from Eastern Europe are kept as 'pets only'.

Unpapered Weims mainly coming from Eastern Europe are kept as 'pets only'.

There are plenty of papered weims in the Eastern Europe... are you saying that Germans purchase unpapered dogs on purpose?

Also recreational hunter - isnt every German one? ;) We have plenty of them shooting stuff in our forests in Poland.

Unpapered Weims mainly coming from Eastern Europe are kept as 'pets only'.

There are plenty of papered weims in the Eastern Europe... are you saying that Germans purchase unpapered dogs on purpose?

Also recreational hunter - isnt every German one? ;) We have plenty of them shooting stuff in our forests in Poland.

Sorry to the OP for going OT!

Of course there're papered Weims in Eastern Europe. Was trying to say that if people want a Weim and cannot get one because they're not hunters or unqualified to get a Weim, they go across the border to get an unpapered one (of course there're unpapered ones in Germany available as well).

Nope, not every German is a recreational hunter :confused: You need a special licence and courses and stuff like that.

I am the OP ;)

As to weims being only owned by hunters. I find this bizzare, as not to say I dont belive you. I shall do some investigation on my own, but are you able to point me to a source of this info?

Also what aobut other hunting breeds such as a German Pointer or the Wirehair German Pointer? Same story - only owned by hunters?

I am the OP ;)

As to weims being only owned by hunters. I find this bizzare, as not to say I dont belive you. I shall do some investigation on my own, but are you able to point me to a source of this info?

Also what aobut other hunting breeds such as a German Pointer or the Wirehair German Pointer? Same story - only owned by hunters?

Ah, sorry OP.

Well, if you don't believe me, find out yourself. Trust me, it's true. It's very hard as a non-hunter (like I said before recreational one, not neccessarily professional) to get a Weim, not impossible, but difficult.

The German Weimaranerforum would be a good start, if you can read German: http://www.weimaranerforum.de/forum/index....1684c30d5898c05

Or you can contact the German Weimaraner Club:

http://www.weimaraner-klub-ev.de/html/welpenkauf.html

This page shows you what to take care of when buying a registered Weimaraner. Underneath the adresse is says:

"Vermittlung nur an Jäger".

I honestly don't know about the other breeds as I never tried to own one of them.

Hope this helps.

edit to say, you can contact some reputable Wei breeders here in Oz, most of them know this too.

another link: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...29175732AAAqgSP

Edited by oceanaussi

No I dont read German but found that In Germany and Austria, only hunters can enter their dogs for the hunting tests.

Thats a bit different to owning one. At the end of the day it doesnt matter to me, they are good looking dogs but my breed is a dobermann ;)

No I dont read German but found that In Germany and Austria, only hunters can enter their dogs for the hunting tests.

Thats a bit different to owning one. At the end of the day it doesnt matter to me, they are good looking dogs but my breed is a dobermann ;)

Yes, Dobes are beautiful! If you have a look at the last link under answer 9 it'll say that only hunters can get a Weim.

Yes, Dobes are beautiful! If you have a look at the last link under answer 9 it'll say that only hunters can get a Weim.

No didnt find anything to that effect only that in the past

The German Weimaraner Club controlled much of the activity of the breed, including registration. Dogs could not be sold to nonmembers, and it was difficult to obtain membership. Only approved breedings could be registered, and poor specimens were destroyed

No didnt find anything to that effect only that in the past

The German Weimaraner Club controlled much of the activity of the breed, including registration. Dogs could not be sold to nonmembers, and it was difficult to obtain membership. Only approved breedings could be registered, and poor specimens were destroyed

Well, it says:

"Weimaraner are a working breed and I would not recommend them as a family dog.

They should do what they were created for.....hunting.

In Germany, ( that's where I come from )German kennel club breeders ,wont sell them to people who don't use them as a hunting dog.

EDIT

If you are a hunter then this dog is great choice !

You also might be interested in this breed:

(Magyar ) Vizsla (it is the Hungarian version of the Weinmaraner) )

http://www.akc.org/breeds/vizsla/index.c...

http://clubs.akc.org/vizsla/

1 week ago

Source(s):

my dad was a( German kennel club) registered dog breeder."

with over 500 registered there each year there sure is a hell of a lot hunters in Germany....

I did read that in order to breed they must have passed certain hunting tests. Nothing wrong with than imho.

Should be the same for any breeds if they have been bred for a specific purpose.

But this isnt to say that weims are good for schutzhund, I looked on youtube for some videos of them doing it, found nothing.... but I found a JRT ;)

with over 500 registered there each year there sure is a hell of a lot hunters in Germany....

I did read that in order to breed they must have passed certain hunting tests. Nothing wrong with than imho.

Should be the same for any breeds if they have been bred for a specific purpose.

But this isnt to say that weims are good for schutzhund, I looked on youtube for some videos of them doing it, found nothing.... but I found a JRT :vomit:

I give up. If it's not on youtube, it mustn't exist. :laugh:

I know plenty of Weims having their Schutzhund titles. I know I will get one with mine.

I checked with a friend of mine n Germany about weims only being sold to hunters, its not correct.

yes for the breeding they are required to have some hunting tests passed, and only a hunter can enter those test, but if someone wants a pet they are free to buy one.

I give up. If it's not on youtube, it mustn't exist.

No , its not like that. I even found a labrador doing it. I am saing taht it not common at all.

I know plenty of Weims having their Schutzhund titles. I know I will get one with mine.

Show me those with titles. Where are you going to get the titles? Not in Australia by the looks of it as your breed isnt allowed to compete. Is your dog suitable?

I checked with a friend of mine n Germany about weims only being sold to hunters, its not correct.

yes for the breeding they are required to have some hunting tests passed, and only a hunter can enter those test, but if someone wants a pet they are free to buy one.

I give up. If it's not on youtube, it mustn't exist.

No , its not like that. I even found a labrador doing it. I am saing taht it not common at all.

Show me those with titles. Where are you going to get the titles? Not in Australia by the looks of it as your breed isnt allowed to compete. Is your dog suitable?

Your friend is wrong. Like I said it is possibel to get one as a non-hunter but it's certainly not easy. Contact the Breed Club and you will find out.

Of course Weims are not that common in Schhutzhund as GSDs but they still do it.

Well, even my Kelpie has her Schutzhund title. We've done it in Germany and I will take my Weim back home to do his as well when he's ready.

Your friend is wrong. Like I said it is possibel to get one as a non-hunter but it's certainly not easy. Contact the Breed Club and you will find out.

correct me if Im wrong please, perhaps its different in Germany.

A breeder doesnt have to be a member of a BREED CLUB to sell puppies, they do have to be a member of the countrys Controlling Body, in Asutralia that is ANKC, in Germany would be the equivalent...

So where the Breed Club might have the rules about who they sell it doent mean the dog controlling body has.

my Kelpie has her Schutzhund title

Which title?

Edited by Monelite

I know you can't read German, but there interesting discussions on the Weimaranerforum in Germany, if you or your German friend likes to have a look:

http://www.weimaranerforum.de/

With breeding and selling puppies (applies to pedigree and papered dogs only) in Germany it works like that:

The controlling body in Germany is the VHD =German Kennel Club):

http://www.vdh.de/en/index.php

Then you have the breed club associated with the VDH. You cannot breed a papered dog without being a member of the VDH and you cannot become a member of the VDH if you're not a member of a breed club.

The breed club decides which dogs are allowed to be breed. A few years ago it wasn't allowed for example to mate a LH Weim with a shorthair. So the breed club makes the rules but the VDH adoptes them. A breed club in Germany is completly different from the breed clubs you have over here!

So, any papered dog in Germany comes from a breed club which is a member of the VDH. If you breed a dog without being affiliated to a breed club (so then automatically you're not a member of the VDH), so dog wont have papers, which means it doesn't have a pedigree.

Hope that makes sense now.

Hera's got her SchH 2.