Schutzhund Club Accepting "other" Breeds

This was a post by Seita in another thread

I do not do Schutzhund, I'd like to but it would require changing breeds! But I have trained my Border Collie in obedience, schutzhund style. I think something that IPO/schutzhund clubs could to do further promote the sport is to allow breeds that aren't officially allowed to compete to train with the club, even if it is only in obedience or tracking. I recently inquired about joining a club in Brisbane but was informed that due to my dog's breed I wouldn't be able to. I personally would love to train with an IPO club as I have a high drive dog who works well using IPO type training methods... instead I have to train at a club that encourages the complete opposite - inhibiting the dog's drive rather than encouraging it. Perhaps IPO/Schutzhund clubs should become less selective about breeds but definitely remain very selective about the actual handlers/members.

I spoke to my girlfriend that is a member of one of the clubs in Sydney (it think its called Waratah Dogsport Club) and she said that that particular club would accept other breeds to do obedience and tracking.

The people/dogs would be accepted on individual basis, that is if the dog is suitable for drive training and the owners are aware of what the sport is etc.

There is a trial/assesment period the club does with all new members at present and this would apply to those with other breeds. During the trial the new members asses the club and the club asseses the new member and has a right of not accepting the person further. Its more about the people than the dogs. Also the club doesnt run a class, its all individual training. Potential members should be aware that the trainig at the club is time consuming and a high perticipation rate in helping others is required.

The other breeds would not be allowed to trial at the sch events as this is governed internationally and those rules cant really be changed.

If I get some repplies of interest in this thread Ill put up the contact details and find out more info for you.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny, Schutzhund is a German thing and originally was used for GSDs only but meanwhile most dogs can do it. Hera, my Kelpie x GSD did her Schutzhund titles in Germany. I wanted to do Schutzhund with Quentin, my Weimaraner, and it was denied. I know heaps of Weimaraner in Germany doing Schutzhund successfully. Might have to take him there.

Kavik if you fatten Kaos up he would potentially pass as a GSD and you could even do bite work with him ;)

:) - I know he is big for a Kelpie but he is not THAT big!

Maybe the next dog :cool:

I train in drive with Brydee and she has strong prey drive, and sound temperament.

I would love to train Schutz but knowing that I couldn't trial would make it pointless, and I cant see why it should be so exclusive to a few breeds, when individuals within breeds can have what it takes physically and mentally.

The breeds allowed to compete are from different corners of the spectrum anyway, and are not of the same traits or types. If Airedales can compete why cant other terrier types for instance. Completely different makeup to GSDs for instance.

Because Airedales (if I remember correctly) have been used in wars before - so it is in their history.

Doing obedience with a Schutzhund club could help you get spiffy results in obedience if your dog has what it takes to train in drive :)

I cant see why it should be so exclusive to a few breeds

Its the same principal as only herding dogs can do herding and only gun dogs can compete in the retrieving or field trails.

Earth dogs - again same principal, selected to certain breeds.

The breeds allowed to compete are from different corners of the spectrum anyway, and are not of the same traits or types. If Airedales can compete why cant other terrier types for instance
Airdale is a different tarrier to a JRT and where the temperament of a JRT could be suitable for the sport I cant see them putting the man down... Edited by Monelite

There is a Schutz club in the next suburb from me, but i'm not sure how the two styles would marry.........(I think Schutz is voice control only, where ANKC is often hand signal based) The base methods of drive training are the same though.

I hear from another DOLer that the club near me is really small, and the training is very informal and at irregular times.

But for Schutzhund needs a strong working ability, perserverance and protective instinct. In Germany ANY breed can compete these days. Like I said I've done it with my Kelpie and will be doing it with my Weimaraner. Tracking, obedience and protection are the phases and IMO every dog who can succeed in that should be allowed in.

Airdale is a different tarrier to a JRT and where the temperament of a JRT could be suitable for the sport I cant see them putting the man down...

No..........But a Bull Terrier or American Staffordshire Terrier certainly could. I did say that dogs that have what it takes, should be able to compete.

I'm not sure if Boxers are allowed, but they are used as police dogs, and are of suitable build.

where I agree with you dogdude I also have a dobermann that is a gret retriever and loves water. I dont think I will be allowed to compete in retrieving trails tho.... Than again she could almost pass as a viszla - she has large ears and is brown ;)

Also if you feel strongly about the issue why not approach a club, become a member and try changing the rules?

I am a member of an obediecne club and feel strongly about unnecessary vaccinations, and my club now accepts titer test result. Bit of work, willingness and things can change :confused:

Edited by Monelite

Ok Monelite!.............If you paint your dog yellow........and enter into a retrieving trial,..............I will put some high heels on my Staffy and hope she passes as a red dobe at the up and coming Schutz nationals!!! :confused: ;)

Thanks for that Monelite! I think there is a club up here in QLD that does accept other breeds as well or at least so I've been informed by a member of said club. But the club nearest to me gave me a downright NO when I enquired.

start training sit and drop on the move with no hand signals dogdude :o Im assuming you are doing BH first with your dog ;)

And oceanausies weim we will pass as a fawn dobe, just needs some tan markings, nothing too difficult, shoe polish will do, and we will hope it doesnt rain. :confused:

Edited by Monelite