Temperature ?

I have often wondered that myself. :confused:

and would one of those eletronic ones (the ones that beep)

that humans use in their ears work, ;) Or is that just a no go?

The ear thermometers designed for humans are not accurate on animals, from memory due to different ear drum shape. There is a relatively new product that a vet friend has used and recommended, I believe there was a thread on it recently. I bought a home model but have yet to dig it out from under a pile of rubbish and try it out properly... Details are here : http://www.vet-direct.com/ThermometerVetTemp.htm

How can you tell if a dog has a temperature if you dont have a thermometer to use in the appropriate area ;)

is there any other ways to check her body to see if she has a temp ?

thanks

Check the heart rate with your hand inside the thigh. A rise in heart rate goes hand in hand with a rise in temp. There is no way you would get an accurate temp in a dog's armpit even if you did have a thermometer.

If you google to find a rough idea of normlal dog heart rate you can find out if it's up or not. Another way to tell, the inner ears may look red and the dog may be panting and seem unwell. Increased thirst also.

How can you tell if a dog has a temperature if you dont have a thermometer to use in the appropriate area :laugh:

thanks

Check the heart rate with your hand inside the thigh. A rise in heart rate goes hand in hand with a rise in temp. There is no way you would get an accurate temp in a dog's armpit even if you did have a thermometer.

If you google to find a rough idea of normlal dog heart rate you can find out if it's up or not. Another way to tell, the inner ears may look red and the dog may be panting and seem unwell. Increased thirst also.

Unfortunately not, an increased heart rate may be due to excitement or stress, pain, dyspnoea (respiratory distress) etc. The only sure way to tell of an increase in body temperature is to take the temperature.

Thank you for the replies

I wouldnt even have a clue ( got a rough idea where to place thermoeter ) , but not game to try it myself :shrug:

she gets checked at the vets the last visits and was told no temp , but after last night when she really didnt look well , it got me thinking if there was a way to check via her body

after another vet check today , her temp was ok

I like the look of the one posted on the link , but alas it is way out of my range at the moment after her vets bills

A digital thermometer is only around $10 sometimes less. With some Vaseline on it they don’t even feel the thing in their anus and its something that you need to get the dog a bit used to in case its stressed and you need to do it without causing more stress. Get one that beeps when is ready.

Best way with most issues is to know what’s normal .Your dogs Temp will be lowest early morning and up to a degree higher in latte afternoon. It’s unaffected by weather unless he's so cold he's shivering or he has just exercised in hot weather. To get a base line, record the temp morning, midday and late afternoon, for a week then average the reading for each time of day.

Exercise causes the temp to rise and it can take up to 2 hours to normalise again to be sure you take the temp every 15 mins to see if its due to illness or exercise. Exercise it will slowly come down - illness it will stay constant or rise.

It’s a good idea to have 2 thermometers so if you get a high with one you can check that the thermometer isn’t wrong.

You need to know and record what a normal heart rate is Pulse rate at rest - young dogs 110 - 120 bpm, large breed adult 60-80 bpm,

small breed adult 80 - 120 bpm

Respiratory rate is 30 to 80 breaths per minute [ slower for large faster for small] you want to see no effort; breathing slow in normal breaths.

Gum colour - bubble gum pink.

Capillary refill time - 1 to 2 seconds - faster means the blood pressure is up probably due to exercise, anxiety or excitement. Slow - illness poisoning or shock. Pull up your dog's lip and look at his gums. Place your index finger firmly against the gums so that they appear white. Remove your finger and see how quickly the blood returns to the gums (they will become pink in that area again). This is called capillary refill time. If you do this when everything is normal, you will have a basis upon which to compare. The gums of a normal dog refill immediately, the gums of a dehydrated dog could take 3 seconds or so to return to their pink state.

If you know what’s normal then when something is abnormal it’s very obvious and it will stop you being concerned when you don’t need to be.

How can you tell if a dog has a temperature if you dont have a thermometer to use in the appropriate area :rofl:

thanks

Unfortunately not, an increased heart rate may be due to excitement or stress, pain, dyspnoea (respiratory distress) etc. The only sure way to tell of an increase in body temperature is to take the temperature.

Unfortunately your answer is off topic and my answer was correct. Increased heart rate and increased temperature go hand in hand. The OP was not asking for reasons as to why heart rate may be elevated :rofl: