How Far Are You Willing To Travel?

For me it would be between an hour and an hour and a half ( hope that made sense). Their isn't many trials around my area so mostly I just go to the local ones.

So what about everyone else?

4 hours is about the furthest I've gone so far. Will be doing 3 to Bendigo this weekend :cheer:

I'm 2.5 hours from the city and I do quite a few city trials. Thinking seriously of doing a few interstate trials later on in the year or next year, but then again I don't pay for my fuel either. Makes a huge difference to the trial budget! :cheer:

Guest Clover

We have been to Qland for Flyball (24 hours to get there), i probably wont do that again.. unless other Flyballers wanted to take the trip aswell. We are going to Sydney late next year, that will be about 11 hours of driving + human/ canine wee stops :cheer:.

ETA: Normal 'local' comps are usually about 1 - 3 hours away, unless it is a Ballarat comp then it is less than 5 mins.

Edited by Clover

As little as possible! Living in Brisbane now means I can trial fairly regularly and only have to travel a max of about half an hour to get to a trial. When I used to live up in North QLD aside from my club's own trials (3 times a year) the closest other trials were about an hour away (also about 3-4 times a year) and after that it was Townsville (4 hours drive)... I even went all the way to Proserpine one year (6 hours drive), needless to say I never did that trial again! I would probably only travel for a fairly special trial these days as I just don't have the time to drive long distances!

Edited by Seita

Living 3 hours from any agility is a pain training wise.

I am heading off next week for 3 hr drive to a ADAA agility comp. I'm just beginning so dogs can only do 1 run each both days. So I decided one is suddenly ready to go at the next level as well. Least he'll get a 2 extra runs a day.

Lucky for me my sister lives 5 mins from one competition area and 6 mins from a canine complex comp area as well. Handy!

My friend who trains with me (instant club of 2!) drives to Parramatta to go to training sometimes.

I wont travel too far if it is only for 1 trial, but will go a fair distance if there is a double or triple on... Living in Brisbane there are quite a few trials easily accessible, I did go to Gympie and Maryborough (for their double / triple trials) a few months ago and heading to Coffs at the end of this month (but I am also doing the confirmation shows there too) :laugh:

I have travelled to Perth (I'm in Canberra) for agility trials :laugh: That was the Nationals though :laugh: Have done Melbourne Royal too. Generally 3.5 to 4 hours one way is my limit for regular weekend of agility trials, although for a good weekend of trialing I will do 5-6 hours. Retrieving trials are usually within 3-4 hours drive. Obedience I stick to just local.

We travelled to Canberra for the flyball nationals which was about 14 hours each way towing a trailer. It was worth every second - made it our holiday for the first half of the year.

For a one day comp I'd travel up to about 2.5 hours each way, for a weekend it wouldn't really matter, would just work around it and make it a short break.

i travel 1 1/2 hours each way to training sometimes once a week usually once a fortnight, travel anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 to comps, used to travel 2 hours to training and 6 hours to comps ... all times are one way... travel 10 hours to the Grand prix(one way) each year

Edited by bordacollies4me

We travelled from Victoria to Queensland last year and Victoria to Canberra earlier this year for flyball.

My local comp out here is 2.5 hours away. Will be travelling 5 hours for a double back to back......wouldnt do it for a single trial!

This thread made me laugh! Wouldn't do it now but about 24 years ago I was trialling Wellington and it suddenly dawned on me that he preferred night trials as we did all our training at night ( he was only my 2nd trial dog and I wasn't very bright back then)

There were three trials left for the year 1. Mount Gambier, 2. Broken Hill, 3. SAODC on 3 consecutive week-ends, I did the great Aussie thing and 'chucked a couple of sickies and yep, I did the 3 and we got our CD! It was a good holiday.

Do trialling and see your State!

Annie and her boyz