Schutzhund Help!

Hi All,

I've been reading different threads and googling for about 3 days now looking for a 'how to' of Schutzhund. I live in Townsville Nth Qld and there is no-one here who trains or teaches it. So, I am going it alone and hoping to find a sort beginers guide to teach me how to teach my new dobergirl pup (when she arrives in a couple of months time).

I have done everyday obedience with all my dogs, more advanced with some. From what I have learnt so far though SH has quiet a different approach and I'd like to know what I should be doing with the new girl from day one.

Can anyone help? Websites, ideas, advice?

Cheers,

Michelle

Leerburg is good, I think they have a working puppy DVD? The Building Drive and Focus one is good too.

Look at the thread on drive training in the training forum, should give you some hints for that.

I'm not sure how much you could do on your own? Obedience and maybe tracking (or a tracking club) but the character test?

There are two clubs in QLD. Now my geography is not good :thumbsup: but here are the details anyway

Brisbane Sporting Dog Club Inc.

Secretary: Elisabeth Skowronski

Email: Secretary

East Coast Performance Training Group Inc.

Secretary: Kim Johansen

Email: Secretary

I would look at the Ivan Balabanov dvds. He is one of the few top trainers to actually compete in the sport, and put his money where his mouth is.

I found his dvds great and am using his methods for my pup (great results so far).

I found the Leerburg dvds a bit vague, and had the opinion that the methods need a really steely dog temperment wise. Balabanov has a softer approach, and many Australian Schutz clubs use his methods. Any prey drive methods are hard on the handler physically though, Balabanovs methods more so. If you are not fit now, you will be soon, using his methods.

K9Force methods lend themselves to Schutz (prey drive training) and he provides distance learning packages. ( K9force.net) or PM him through the forum.

Thanks everyone.

I'll get some DVD's from a couple of different sources and take it from there. I also contacted the NDTF and they are sending me a info pack on their distance learning course. Problem with that is I can't go to Melbourne for the hands on stuff. But every bit of info helps.

Kavik, I understand what you mean about how far I can go on my own. I will just have to do what I can as I learn it myself. I'm not really into competing, I just want to learn it and do it. For example, I want the dog to be able to search and find a person or object but I'm not worried about the technical aspects of competition. It would be far too much travel for me to go to trials and competitions anyway.

I have been putting out feelers locally so perhaps there will be other interested people around.

Cheers,

Michelle

You can learn the obedience and tracking parts pretty much on your own if you already know a bit about training, watching DVDs mentioned here will certainly be of a benefit.

Godfried Dildey has a set of 8 DVDs - they are also very usefull.

Its all about training in drive and there is a fair bit out there for you to pick up and learn from.

But for the bite work you will need another person. I suggest this person know what they are doing...

• 1 month later...

i bought the book advanced schutzhund by Ivan Balabanov and Karen Duet. its advanced sch as the title suggests but it still has all the basics. i love it its like my bible atm i cant pt it down.

• 2 weeks later...