Arthritis In Young Dog

Hi all,

Diesel has been doing so well on his supps (flexicose & ester c) but since the cold weather has hit, I have noticed that he can be quite lame some days.

I have been thinking about taking him for another course of cartrophen shots now that the cold has hit, but the first couple of courses didn't seem to help much (the last course was only 3 months after his op for ED, so he was still healing) & after having so many needles he has now developed an aversion to needles (which I am working on). What I am wondering is if there is any point in trying another course now that he is fully healed? If it wasn't for the aversion to needles, I would not hesitate, but in doing this we may be undoing any progress we have made...

Opinions would be most welcome.

Hi all,

Diesel has been doing so well on his supps (flexicose & ester c) but since the cold weather has hit, I have noticed that he can be quite lame some days.

I have been thinking about taking him for another course of cartrophen shots now that the cold has hit, but the first couple of courses didn't seem to help much (the last course was only 3 months after his op for ED, so he was still healing) & after having so many needles he has now developed an aversion to needles (which I am working on). What I am wondering is if there is any point in trying another course now that he is fully healed? If it wasn't for the aversion to needles, I would not hesitate, but in doing this we may be undoing any progress we have made...

Opinions would be most welcome.

Cold weather seems to have hit everyone at the moment.

From my understanding there is meant to be a course structure with Cartrophen to gain the maximum effect and with his adversion to needles this maybe a problem.

The next injection may work or it may not - your Diesel maybe the 20% of dogs to which doesn't respond to cartrophen.

All I say is give it a go with the course and see how you go.

He maybe fully healed from his operation, but arthritis can flare up at anytime and I would also be considering someone (maybe a muscleman or dog physio) to assess his gait to make sure that his biomechanics of movement is not causing extra stress on his joints.

My big boy is supplemented with a joint formula every winter (advised by the muscle man) after his elbow injury and it seems to make a huge difference. Also I would recommend Eagle Pack dry food if you give a kibble. The eagle pack has glucosamine in it which helps with the arthritis especially in synovial joints like the knee and hip and I would be making sure that he is getting some omega 3 and 6 (which are natural anti-inflammatories).

hope it helps.

Diesel is currently on Flexicose & ester c, which has been amazing... except that now the cold weather has hit we are having days where he is quite lame... so I am more looking for something I can do ontop of what he is already getting as opposed to totally changing. :love:

I might talk to the vet & see if we can get some kind of oral sedative for him before he has the shot just to lessen the negative impact.