Looking Into Raw Feeding

Penny was on Supercoat before she developed chronic episodes of upset tummy. After inconclusive blood tests and x-rays, my vet gently suggested I try her on homecooked. Within a week, she was bouncing around like a puppy, devouring her food with more gusto then ever before, and over the following weeks, we waved goodbye to stomach upsets and, surprisingly, her arthritis. She was 9 when I changed her over, she's 12 now. She dropped a fair bit of weight and just seemed so much happier and healthier. Nowadays, she gets a mix with pet chicken mince as the base, with some vegies mashed up in the food processor, some organ meat, a little garlic and rosemary, some yoghurt or cottage cheese, and sometimes some fruit.

I never thought about using leafy green vegies, though. That's a good idea. I already buy stacks for the bunnies, who love that stuff. We avoid grains (including corn) and starchy vegetables.

I can't promote raw and homecooked enough. The change in Penny when I switched her was practically instant and quite profound. I felt pretty guilty for having her on kibble for so long, which in retrospect she not only didn't like, but was actually making her sick!

Oh, and for rmb, Penny loves pork best. She likes lamb, but it's been giving her constipation troubles of late and it's off the menu. She doesn't like chicken very much, but will eat it if there are other dogs around. Turkey necks are good and often easy to come by.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Gayle , it is the lady from Moe with GSD's -she is a good friend and really knows what she is talking about with raw feeding.I buy my raw chicken mince and frames from the Poultry Shop at MidValley( the Coles end).

Tess32- the chicken carcasses still have the hearts etc in them and for the moment I have been advised only the one type of protein source

Yes Gayle , it is the lady from Moe with GSD's -she is a good friend and really knows what she is talking about with raw feeding.I buy my raw chicken mince and frames from the Poultry Shop at MidValley( the Coles end).

Fantastic. I didn't know there was a poultry shop there as I don't go to Mid-Valley very often but it's worth a trip now. Thanks for the info!

Gayle, you need to order a day or so ahead so Chris can have it done fresh for you, ph 51330126.Tell him Colleen recommended you and I know he will look after you. I buy about 6kgs and that lasts the two Collies about 10 days. The chicken mince is $1 a kilo and the carcasses are $1.50 for a bag of 4 .Very good quality. Just opposite there too is a small green grocer and the prices for all the vegies I use are fantastic too.

Yes Tess32- We have had dogs plenty long enough to know that heart is not offal but with a dog that had major food poisoning as a pup I have been advised by a Qualified naturopath(animal and human) and long time raw feeder NOT to include offal in their diet as what they are being fed has all their dietary and nutritional needs. The old KISS principle- Keep It Simple Silly rule.

Guest Tess32

Your naturopath obviously thinks your food diet *doesn't* contain all their dietary needs if you need to add calcium to the mix, a supplement most people who already feed bones avoid. Hopefully you didn't have to buy all these supplements off the naturopath.

Keeping it "simple" IS offal as it is a dog's natural food, adding supplements is the opposite of simplicity.

Edited by Tess32

I've got a diet question but I didn't want to start a new thread so I hope you don't mind if I ask here.

My Lagotto girl will be 8 this year and she is currently fed 1 cup of Proplan senior a day (split into 2 meals), plus sardines once a week. I would like to substitute either her breakfast or dinner kibble for some raw meaty bones. How much would be the equivalent of 1/2 cup of kibble? (i.e. one chicken neck? half a chicken frame?)

thanks!

While on this topic, is it ok to feed my dog the whole chicken (ie. the pack from the supermarket) ? I was told drumstick bone will damage their intestine and throat, so does it mean I have to take away the drumstick before giving it to them ?

Guest Tess32
While on this topic, is it ok to feed my dog the whole chicken (ie. the pack from the supermarket) ? I was told drumstick bone will damage their intestine and throat, so does it mean I have to take away the drumstick before giving it to them ?

I feed marylands and half chickens all the time, drumsticks are fine.

"While on this topic, is it ok to feed my dog the whole chicken (ie. the pack from the supermarket) ? I was told drumstick bone will damage their intestine and throat, so does it mean I have to take away the drumstick before giving it to them ?"

It would have to be an ancient chook before I'd worry about its leg bones, with dogs whose gastric juices are accustomed to at least some raw animal. That the drumstick in this case is still attached is a good thing as there will be less opportunity for gulping, snarfng and other bad behaviour. However, if your dog is inexperienced with a particular food item, it's reassuring (to you) to observe, discretely so's not to induce these behaviours.

My Lagotto girl will be 8 this year and she is currently fed 1 cup of Proplan senior a day (split into 2 meals), plus sardines once a week. I would like to substitute either her breakfast or dinner kibble for some raw meaty bones. How much would be the equivalent of 1/2 cup of kibble? (i.e. one chicken neck? half a chicken frame?)

I'm too ?lazy to hunt down the specifications but would suggest a meatier part like a complete thigh. or a wing with some breast attached and a wee portion of organ once a week once she's adapted to the chicken. Use an eyeball/ fingertip assessment to judge her condition and adjust accordingly.

No I don't buy my supplements from a naturopath and actually all the advice I get from the naturopath is free as is a family friend who has been involved with natural feeding of dogs for over 30 years and is up with all the latest research into what dogs need to survive and maintain good health.

I only add dolomite if i cannot get the chicken carcasses.

The lady who guided me with this diet and supplements has been doing this for an awful long time and her dogs live fit and healthy lives( and reach old age) and some have even been accepted into the Police Force plus her dogs excel in obedience, tracking, conformation so she must be doing something right IMHO.

Guest Tess32
The lady who guided me with this diet and supplements has been doing this for an awful long time and her dogs live fit and healthy lives( and reach old age) and some have even been accepted into the Police Force plus her dogs excel in obedience, tracking, conformation so she must be doing something right IMHO.

Well that IS most of our goal I guess ;)