C5 Vacc - How Long Does It "last"?

My girl is due for her C5 at the end of May.

I am not particularly keen to rush her off for another one.

The reason I got the annual ones done was to allow

involvement in clubs (obedience) and boarding kennels.

Well we currently arent involved in club activities and

havent had any need for boarding kennels yet.

So just wondering what to do. Suggestions?

Thanks.

Guest Tess32

Chezzy - Ebony was vaccinated last year (C3) and had a titer test done this year, her levels were still high and she had no reason to be revaccinated. Jean Dodds, who is the leading veterinarian immunlogist believes that after one vaccination on an adult's mature immune system, immunity is for life :laugh: At the very minimum if people have trouble believing that, yearly vaccinations are no longer being taught as required in any US vet school, and hopefully here soon too. Some vets are still recommending every three years minimum, so Rosie while I think Rosie will be fine for life, she would definitely be fine for three years.

If you need to be able to take her places and show proof, I would advise getting a titer test done. It costs around $66 and you will get a print out to show anyone who needs it.

However you cannot titer for kennel cough, so if you need proof to board her at any particular kennel that requires it, you can get a KC shot.

I don't give boosters after 16 months of age and neither do I vaccinate for kennel cough. I don't consider the kennel cough vaccine to be necessary or effective and IMO a dog vaccinated after its immune system matures at 6 months of age has lifelong immunity.

I'm not suggesting that you do the same, just replying to your question :laugh:

The vet I go to is not "pushy" but I just received the annual reminder card.

Wish I had asked when I was in there recently about her foot, darn it

(by the way her foot is coming good, thanks to the anti-bs).

Thanks for the responses, atleast I feel better about 'stalling' if I want to :laugh:

Do all vets do this titer testing thing? (and how do I pronounce it: is it teeter

as in teeter totter or tighter?)

Guest Tess32

Yep all vets can do the titer test (I say teeter, some say tighter, up to you, both are right).

Your vet will take a blood sample, send it off to Perth and you'll have the results in 3-7 days probably.

I never give C5 to mine, and once they have been vaccinated as an adult they dont get any more for life. If you must prove your dogs immunity you can always get a Titer test done instead, but completely unneccessary in reality. The compromise vaccs protocol is once every 3 years, but again unneccessary, but better than annuals!

Thankyou :D , I wish I had known all this 3 years ago.

Anyway, I have just shot an email off to my vet so I will see what he says :p

Let us know what your vets reply is on this topic. If he/she will do titers there is thread on this board for vets that will titer test so you could add his name to that list to help others looking for vets who will do it.