Parvorvirus Vaccination In Australia

I had my 19 week vizsla pup titer tested as I was at Animal Options late yesterday afternoon to see Rowan about an injury to her leg that is on the mend and also inflamation on the tip of her undocked tail (but that is a whole other thread).

I had delayed giving their third puppy injection as they had reacted to their 1st Vacc a C4 at 8 weeks (my local vet does not carry C3) as well as the c3 at 12 weeks. On both occassions they had very red saggy eye rims and also upset tummies with very loose motions and were a bit out of sorts.

I just got a call from the clinic with the results of her titer test and while she has good immunity levels to distemper and hepatitis her parvo level is not very high and they recommend another C3 vaccination.

My head tells me that she needs it but I am also very concerned about the reaction to both of the previous vaccinations. I have her litter brother as well so I will now have to get him tested as well.

Is it possible to vaccinate just parvo by it self and not in combination vaccination? Any ideas welcome... :rofl:

These pups had a less than ideal gestation as their dam did not eat very well in quaratine and was underweight when the pups were born and did not eat very well fot the first two weeks of their life after arriving from the USA and they also have reacted poorly to intestinal worming, flea treatments and monthly heartworm preventative so currently they are on daily heart worm tabs but these are nealy impossible to obtain now days.

Guest Tess32

What was the actual result? Some vets tell you to revacc if the titer was under 1:5, but a few of the vet studies I read said that any response over 0 is proof the pup has seroconverted. In such an immune-compromised puppy, I think it would be more damaging to continue vaccinating. I'd spend time naturally boosting the immune system than compromising it again.

I don't think the single parvo vaccine is available in Australia, only PARVAC which is a killed vaccine.

What was the actual result? Some vets tell you to revacc if the titer was under 1:5, but a few of the vet studies I read said that any response over 0 is proof the pup has seroconverted. In such an immune-compromised puppy, I think it would be more damaging to continue vaccinating. I'd spend time naturally boosting the immune system than compromising it again.

I don't think the single parvo vaccine is available in Australia, only PARVAC which is a killed vaccine.

They did not give me the actual figures of the result. I will call them now an find out!!

OK just talked to the clinic on the phone and they are posting the results to me but this what the result is..

Hepatitis - 6 (which equals high immunity)

Distemper - 4 (which equals sufficient immunity)

Parvovirus - 3 ( which equals low immunity)

Guest Tess32

Hmm ok, different system. They are usually expressed in 1:5, 1:20 etc.

Has the puppy been out much since the vaccination period, and how long after the vaccination was he titered - 6 weeks? Titer levels fall, after all. His immune system HAS mounted at least some kind of response at least.

I think you'll have to weigh the risks here....

Hmm ok, different system. They are usually expressed in 1:5, 1:20 etc.

Has the puppy been out much since the vaccination period, and how long after the vaccination was he titered - 6 weeks? Titer levels fall, after all. His immune system HAS mounted at least some kind of response at least.

I think you'll have to weigh the risks here....

Animal options do their titre test on site for a very reasonable $65.00

She has been to 3 shows and about 4 or five show training classes. I do not frequent dog parks.

Guest Tess32

If I were you I'd send an email off to Jean Dodds asking her opinion - she's the expert :rofl: Considering his previous reactions to vaccination, I would not do it. If he goes to shows regularly he will be coming into contact with low levels of the virus anyway and should build some natural immunity.

hemopet AT hotmail.com

Parvac is Parvo only, and you can even buy it online yourself if you wanted to.

The concerning thing about Titer tests in Australia is that although a few Vets have finally started to do it, they still dont understand what it all means........"low" levels dont necessarily mean the dog needs another dose of it.

Parvac is Parvo only, and you can even buy it online yourself if you wanted to.

The concerning thing about Titer tests in Australia is that although a few Vets have finally started to do it, they still dont understand what it all means........"low" levels dont necessarily mean the dog needs another dose of it.

This is the link to the information that Animal Options supplies about vaccination and titre testing levels etc

http://www.animaloptions.com.au/articles-a...-vaccinate.html

If I were you I'd send an email off to Jean Dodds asking her opinion - she's the expert :rofl: Considering his previous reactions to vaccination, I would not do it. If he goes to shows regularly he will be coming into contact with low levels of the virus anyway and should build some natural immunity.

hemopet AT hotmail.com

Thanks Tess I have acted on your suggestion and sent Jean Dodds an email outlining the history of the litter and their immune reactions. Hopefully she will be able to give some further insight into my dilemma.

I have already received a reply from Dr Jean Dodds and I will not be revaccinating anytime soon.

I will also have to see if it is too late to get tickets for her Brisbane speaking engagement.

This was her reply -

"Dear Kerry: Any measurable immunity means that there's committed specific immune memory cells for that virus or bacterium. Given her suppressed

immune system , I'd try to avoid booster vaccinations at this time. Best

wishes. Jean

P.S. Will I get to meet you during my teaching tour of Australia in mid to

end of June ?"

Edited by aranyoz

Hi All,

This is what I have been told about the titre test.

When the results come back a vet, or health provider may say

the the levels are low and possibly quite rightly so.

This does not mean that the dog requires further vaccine administered.

The low level is because the dog has not been in contact with or exposed to

that disease.

Should the readings be high, it only means that the dog has been exposed to

the disease and the anti bodies in the system have multiplied and fought the

disease the way it should.

All I can tell you is what I have been told.

Glad to hear it !!

As I said previously Australian Vets are not up to speed they dont understand titer tests & T cells ........A dog either has them or they dont. High levels mean the dog has been exposed recently to either the disease itself or a vaccine for it, low levels means the dog hasnt come in contact with the said virus, however, the T cells are still there ready to respond if exposure was to occur. The more you inject a dog the less immunity it has to that very disease. Once a dog has T cells it has them for life in most cases............I believe you must put a dog under extreme radiation to be able to kill the T cells off, but the radiation is so high the dog would be dead as I understand it.