Desexed Sbt Shaking, Need Advice.

BigDaz

Hi,

My two female English Staffordshire's were desexed today at 6 months.

They have been home for about 4 hours now and one of the is still shaking, at the moment it is more of a shiver, like when she is cold, but now and then it becomes a bit more pronounced.

The other is fine, she was shivering for an hour or so but it improved.

We rang the Vet earlier and they said it was normal as their body temps would have been lowered during the operation, once they regain their body heat they should stop shaking.

Could someone with relevant experience please advise if this sounds all normal.

Do you have a heat pad or something you can put under her bedding? (electric blanket/ hot water bottle). Maybe a kiddy t shirt to keep her warm (put it on her, if it is not too painful).

Did the vet give pain relief before you bought them home?

If she is still shivering in the morning, I would be going back to the vets.

For now, just keep them as still and warm as you possibly can (no moving around)

Do you have a heat pad or something you can put under her bedding? (electric blanket/ hot water bottle). Maybe a kiddy t shirt to keep her warm (put it on her, if it is not too painful).

Did the vet give pain relief before you bought them home?

If she is still shivering in the morning, I would be going back to the vets.

For now, just keep them as still and warm as you possibly can (no moving around)

I specifically asked for pain relief and they said the injection lasts for 24-48 hours, so dont really need it.

We are leaving the ducted heating on overnight so it should be warm enough, I am a bit of a panic merchant when it comes to my girls.

Hopefully she is better by the morning.

That can be an after effect of the anaesthetic gases that are used. No need to worry. It's wear off soon. Keep her warm and comfortable.

Thanks, for your reply, she seems to be sleeping OK now which is a good sign.

Hope everything has settled down now.

Just a note, if they should need surgery again, there are two types of anaesthetic: I don't know the name of each but one is a little (just a little) more expensive than the other. I was told this by another DOLer and when I asked the vet about it, he said I could have it but it was dearer - I could not believe the difference when Ollie woke up from surgery the last time.

I only use the one that is a bit more expensive on my guy because he does not do well when waking up from it. Now when he has to go under, he wakes up really well with no adverse reactions. (Ollie has been under a few times because he is sick)

Just a note, if they should need surgery again, there are two types of anaesthetic: I don't know the name of each but one is a little (just a little) more expensive than the other. I was told this by another DOLer and when I asked the vet about it, he said I could have it but it was dearer - I could not believe the difference when Ollie woke up from surgery the last time.

I only use the one that is a bit more expensive on my guy because he does not do well when waking up from it. Now when he has to go under, he wakes up really well with no adverse reactions. (Ollie has been under a few times because he is sick)

Judging by how much the surgery cost, I hope they used the more expensive one :(

She seems much better this morning, even ate a decent amount of food. They are getting back to their old selves, the sicker one a bit more slowly, now I just need to keep two Staffy's quiete for 10 days.

They hate the collars they have to wear, it can be aquite amusing at times though.

post-21905-1208819078_thumb.jpg

Are they chewing or licking the surgical incision area?? If not, I would remove the collars. I rarely have to use them with the rescues.

I did catch one licking the incision area earlier, I would prefer they wear them when I cant be watching them, but generally when not wearing them they havent been to bad.

Judging by how much the surgery cost, I hope they used the more expensive one :confused:

She seems much better this morning, even ate a decent amount of food. They are getting back to their old selves, the sicker one a bit more slowly, now I just need to keep two Staffy's quiete for 10 days.They hate the collars they have to wear, it can be aquite amusing at times though.

post-21905-1208819078_thumb.jpg

Yeah, good luck with that one. They are hard to keep still. Crate them if you have to or get a kids play pen to limit their movement.

We crated our old bloke once - just once. It lasted about an hour and he was so vocal about the fact that he was imprisoned that we had to let him out - even the neighbour thought we were killing him. He is a lazy old bugger though and once he was lifted onto the lounge and waited on hand and foot by all the humans he was happy as larry. (Yep, we are well trained people).

Hope the girls are feeling better today.

Thanks for your interest, they have been pretty good today.

Almost back to their usual selves, so keeping me busy trying to stop them running, jumping and play fighting too much.

I took a week off work to look after them, im looking forward to getting back to work for a break :confused:

Thiobarb is probably the most common anaesthetic used.

Alflaxan is also another common anaesthetic, which IMHO animals recover quicker and better from.

Edited by Vizsla