Male Dogs,

how do other people train their male dogs (entire) to ignore in season females.so far no one has been able to tell me how they do it :rainbowbridge:

I think it's easier to train the owners of in-season bitches to keep them safely indoors!

thanks,i have repeatedly asked this question on the now closed topics,as apparantly i just cant be bothered training an extremely high sex drive STUD dog to ignore day 14 + bitches which have peed all over the ring or are stacked next to us,from acting up :rainbowbridge: .one suggestion was to not use him as a stud dog,as high sex drive is hereditary-he is my foundation stud and this breed is renowned for no sex drive or wont serve or infertility!!! i know how they train racehorse colts to ignore in season fillies and it is barbaric to say the least-maybe thats why no one has been able to tell me how.why are bitches in season not allowed to compete in agility?

thanks,i have repeatedly asked this question on the now closed topics,as apparantly i just cant be bothered training an extremely high sex drive STUD dog to ignore day 14 + bitches which have peed all over the ring or are stacked next to us,from acting up :rainbowbridge: .one suggestion was to not use him as a stud dog,as high sex drive is hereditary-

That's good, isn't it? An animal with low libido is very bad for a breed's future.

why are bitches in season not allowed to compete in agility?

Bitches in season shouldn't be allowed to compete in any activity. It's risky to their health, they're probably feeling off-color and not do themselves justice and it's offputting to other dogs, so it's very unsporting. Bitches in season should stay at home. No competition is that important!

thanks,i have repeatedly asked this question on the now closed topics,as apparantly i just cant be bothered training an extremely high sex drive STUD dog to ignore day 14 + bitches which have peed all over the ring or are stacked next to us,from acting up :laugh: .one suggestion was to not use him as a stud dog,as high sex drive is hereditary-

That's good, isn't it? An animal with low libido is very bad for a breed's future.

why are bitches in season not allowed to compete in agility?

Bitches in season shouldn't be allowed to compete in any activity. It's risky to their health, they're probably feeling off-color and not do themselves justice and it's offputting to other dogs, so it's very unsporting. Bitches in season should stay at home. No competition is that important!

there has been repeated arguments on this subject before-i have been told people with males should train them better-how does that explain obedience trained dogs ,they have the highest levels of training,but a bitch in season cannot compete.why-because even these extremely well trained dogs will have the blood leave their brain to be re directed to other parts :laugh: but a show dog is expected to just not worry about it.

STUD dog to ignore day 14 + bitches which have peed all over the ring or are stacked next to us

Im guessing you are talking about the show ring not obedience nor agility (as in those betiches in season are not allowed to compete)

It is rare for bitches to wee in the show ring, and you would have one stacked next to you you if you were in the show ring.

Just stand further away, the bitch is behind you, ask for more room, or you move forward with your dog.

Edited by Monelite

I wouldn't expect my male dogs to ignore bitches in season, though that would be the ideal. But I would expect them to be controllable.

My experience here is limited, I've only shown one male dog, who's not been used at stud - though he does live with entire bitches and is well versed on when they're ripe. Duke definitely acts differently (more alert, more showy, wants to mark and tends to sniff the ground more) but he's controllable and that's fine by me. I can't really say how I've trained this, I guess it's just the respect for me or the general manners I always train into my dogs.

I guess the extent of perfection that seems to be called for in the ring more and more, these small (to me :laugh: ) things could cost you an award, but IMO that's something that needs to be changed about showing, not that the dogs must be changed. As mersonmalinois said somewhere, lets get back to clean, brushed dogs and nothing else in the ring.

I think it's worth bearing in mind that Centitout is showing the breed with the best scenting ability of any dog. These are dogs that can track a person being driven in a car!

I'd be inclined to try to mask the scent of bitches by increasing your scent to drown it out - how does he react to you wearing perfume or deep heat linament?

Sometimes it would be nice to be able to put a ring through the nose of a male dog wouldnt it. :laugh:

Bitches in season may not compete in dog sports for several reasons, one of which is rather obvious - they are offlead amongst a range of dogs and more often than not in unfenced public areas. No person in their right mind would let any bitch in season offlead in such a situation, regardless of how well trained it was.

Edited by poodlefan

Well your comments certainly don't apply to my girls. My bitches show very well when they're in season, they're very cocky and full of themselves and fly around the ring, they don't feel 'off-color' at all. And as for taking them to shows being risky for their health my vet assures me that bitches in season are at no more risk of infection when they're in season than at any other time. I've been taking bitches in season to shows for over 30 years and none of them have ever contracted an infection.

If you're careful and considerate of other exhibitors and the bitches enjoy it, there's absolutely no reason why bitches in season cannot be shown. I certainly agree that in season bitches shouldn't be at obedience trials etc., but IMO it is perfectly ok to take them to shows.

Bitches in season may not compete in dog sports for several reasons, one of which is rather obvious - they are offlead amongst a range of dogs and more often than not in unfenced public areas. No person in their right mind would let any bitch in season offlead in such a situation, regardless of how well trained it was.

Bitches in season can compete in herding, they just run last.

Would sex drive be stronger than high prey drive dogs who have to ignore chasing things?

Interesting question. Ive never had a bitch in heat and a cat/rabbit in the same spot at the same time to judge which he would rather be after.....though i can control him alot easier around a bitch then a prey item.

Regarding bitches competing in obedience/agility trials, i wouldnt risk my bitch doing a trial surrounded by offlead entire males that their owners might not have trained to ignore.

I have no problems at all showing my male, i usually want a bitch in front of us....makes him look better stacked :laugh:

Let me first say i have never trained a dog to do this and don't have showing experience with entire male dogs.. I would think that some dogs have a harder time dealing with it than others. But, i would suggest if you wanted to train the dog to ignore rather than mask with Vicks etc you would need to find an aversive that was at a higher level than the attraction of the bitch. The problem with doing this is that the dog may then pair the aversive with bitches in season- not what you'd want for a stud dog.

As someone else said, at sheepdog trials in season girls can compete but run last.

With my boy, if there is stock around, he will completely ignore in season girls as the stock is of far higher value.

In normal circumstances, I can get him to ignore an in season girl with a correction but it is not something I would want to do regularly as he needs to be interested in them sometimes.

Also obviously it depends a huge amount on the individual dog as some males simply cant control themselves.

Well your comments certainly don't apply to my girls. My bitches show very well when they're in season, they're very cocky and full of themselves and fly around the ring, they don't feel 'off-color' at all. And as for taking them to shows being risky for their health my vet assures me that bitches in season are at no more risk of infection when they're in season than at any other time. I've been taking bitches in season to shows for over 30 years and none of them have ever contracted an infection.

If you're careful and considerate of other exhibitors and the bitches enjoy it, there's absolutely no reason why bitches in season cannot be shown. I certainly agree that in season bitches shouldn't be at obedience trials etc., but IMO it is perfectly ok to take them to shows.

I'm more than happy for bitches in season too be in the show ring, perks my boy up and gets him moving nicely whereas at other times he can be lazy, he's only young but knows a bitch in season and works his stuff well in the ring when he sniffs one out.

It may be a completely different story once he's more mature but right now, he's not a problem with the inseason bitches.......entire males however, he's just starting to feel it oats so to speak.

I've heard many people trying to mask the smell with vicks and so forth - I guess it's a bit of trial and error.

Edited by sas

Let me first say i have never trained a dog to do this and don't have showing experience with entire male dogs.. I would think that some dogs have a harder time dealing with it than others. But, i would suggest if you wanted to train the dog to ignore rather than mask with Vicks etc you would need to find an aversive that was at a higher level than the attraction of the bitch. The problem with doing this is that the dog may then pair the aversive with bitches in season- not what you'd want for a stud dog.

and this is exactly the reason i will not train my male out of being interested-seen too many dogs and horses terrified of going near a bitch when the time comes.and the ones with low sex drive-how great is it having to give them a hand job to get them excited enough :( had to do that before many a time(maybe its why i dont have a boyfriend anymore ;) )