Grooming A Bichon

happie

What type of brush should I buy to groom my bichon? (which Im getting very soon!) I know theres the rake type brush, steel pin brush sometimes with the black bristles on the other side, metal comb brushes, rubber brushes...theres so many on the market and the packaging doesnt describe what they should be used for so I have no idea!

And does anyone know what brush groomers use to fluff up the bichon's hair into what the show dogs look like?

What type of brush should I buy to groom my bichon? (which Im getting very soon!) I know theres the rake type brush, steel pin brush sometimes with the black bristles on the other side, metal comb brushes, rubber brushes...theres so many on the market and the packaging doesnt describe what they should be used for so I have no idea!

And does anyone know what brush groomers use to fluff up the bichon's hair into what the show dogs look like?

Best person to ask is the breeder of your pup who can show you what to do and which brushes to use. The show clipped dogs are very high maintenance so unless you want to pay through the nose for professional grooming you won't achieve that look which has to be blow dried and brushed straight.

I'd be thinking of a slicker brush and a fine/medium metal comb as basic requirements. Buy the best slicker you can afford (Doggyman brand is a good one)

That fluffy head on the show bichons is probably done with a pin brush. metal pins on a rubber backed brush.

Grooming for the showring requires scissoring and blowdrying as well as brushing and combing, if I were you I'd make arrangements to have a few lessons from your breeder before you attempt it yourself. If your breeder is interstate you could purchase one of the Sonnen grooming videos which are available from Dogwise, the Bichon video is item no. DGR119. Their website is HERE

As said your breeder would be your best person to contact.When picking your pup up they should also show you HOW to correctly brush the dog & with which tools.

You could eithera sk your breeder to buy you the best basics or ask them which ones they recommend & then go purchase them.

I have a bichon, and I use Doggyman slicker brush, as recommended by the breeder. Most bichon breeders at the show also use this brand, it is about $30. I brush Chelsea with a slicker brush first to get out the knots, and then use a comb to comb all over to make the fur stands up

You will need to groom a bichon almost everyday

Im getting my bichon from a family who can no longer keep her. Shes 1 year old and at the moment shes been clipped back. I dont think the family knows how to groom her properly either see that theyre selling her cause they dont have time. Not that shes neglected in any way.

How much does a professional groom cost? I was thinking I can maybe watch and learn. Im not looking to have her groomed into a show dog just something basic that I can maintain my self at home.

Very few salons will let you stay & watch.Watching doesnt teach you how to use the equipment correctly.

I could do a basic bichon clip in an hour or so & you would learn nothing in that time.

Also most salons dont have the time for the basic fee to teach someone plus other dogs are being groomed at the same time & some have issues so a worksafe environment is very important

If you want to do it yourself you will need to seek someone who is happy to teach you how to clip safely plus ofcourse buy the equipment,

Ring a few groomers in your area.The more regular a client you are the cheaper it will be

Depending on your area, grooming is usually about $50. Most groomers also charge extra if the dog comes in with lots of knots/ matts.

You can DIY clipping at home, but clippers are $200+, then blades (you'll need at least 2 or 3) at about $40.

I clip both poodles at home, but can't achieve that beautiful, soft, fluffy coat without a proper dog dryer (about $300+).

Good news is that a purebred Bichon's won't shed any fur- makes them very easy to have around the house.

Downside is the clipping every month or so.

You need a SOFT slicker brush (e.g. Doggyman) and a medium-coarse "greyhound comb".

Try http://www.petnetwork.com.au/

eta: Don't "save money" buying really cheap brushes- you will throw them out in disgust. They'll last years as long as you keep them away from chewing dogs.

post-6819-1208560148_thumb.jpg post-6819-1208560128_thumb.jpg

Edited by Poodle wrangler

Your dog will get used to it. Do the head last if s/he likes it least.

Make sure you brush in sections- i.e. part the hair, so you go from skin outwards. If you don't brush right down to the skin, dog will get knots+.

Try doing a little at a time and make it fun for pup e.g. brush several strokes then treat. No fuss.

Don't be too "soft" i.e. let pup get away with throwing a tantrum to avoid brushing- it will make grooming a nightmare from now on.

It's part of a Bichon's life and the sooner they learn to accept it, the better :) .