Nasal Fungus

My bully goes in for treatment tomorrow for nasal fungus.

I'm unsure of all the technical terms so I really hope you will understand what I'm trying to say :eek:

He is having a procedure where they drill two holes into his skull/nose, just above or between the eyes I think, and then have an ointment, (similar to canesten sream) insetred...sound absolutley horrible but they assure me this is the best option.

I have been told the surgery will last about 2 hours, and he should be ready to come home late afternoon.

He's an old dog, 13yrs, and I really want him to be as comfortable as possible after the procedure.

After the original tests were done, which included a ct scan, he seemed to be in pain but they gave me 50mg Tramal tablets and said to give him up to 4 per day.

He seemed quite groggy, and not happy at all, on that amount, so I slowly reduced the amount over the last two weeks.

His appetite is very good, although it does take him some time to finish, as I am sure his whole nose still hurts.

I am sure that I will have to re-live the last two weeks again, but I am hoping that either someone who has experienced this, or anyone who thinks they may have any good ideas, can give me some suggestions on things like what the best things to feed him would be, and how to cheer him up and help him get through this.

Hi Raffikki,

It sounds like your dog may have Aspergillus (sp?). I have a older foster dog who came from Sydney at home that came with suspected Aspergillus. Basically, he snuffled all the time and had thick green snot flying out of his nose. As the tests, which I am sure were blood tests as opposed to CT, were quite expensive and they had to knock him out to have a look anyway, the vet treated him by flushing his nose with clotrimizole (sp?). It seems to have worked as we have not had a recurrence and it's been nearly four weeks. Charlie didn't have any holes drilled or anything like that, they just blocked off his airways and did the flush. Not sure if that is what your dog has, but thought I would describe my experience anyway. Charlie didn't require Tramal or any other pain med.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Tramal. I used it for a while for my elderly cattle bitch who had kidney issues. Basically, she was like she was stoned all the time, her appetite (which was normally very good) waned and she was constipated after being on the drug only a short while.

If I can offer any other annecdotes then pls PM me.

Sharon

Hi Sharon :eek:

Aspergillus (sp?) certainly sounds familiar, but over the last few months, lots of different vets have said lots of different things to me so now I really can't be certain.

She told me that the CT showed that *alot* of stuff in his nose had been eaten away by this fungus stuff, but I'm not certain what *alot* is. I am also unable to remember what the parts were called that were affected.

Lucky has the snot issue...lol but luckily (or not) he usually sleeps most of the time and I've put down large towels so it's easier to clean up.

The vet said that flushing his nose was one option, but thought this procedure would be better(at least in Lucky's case) because it is more direct.

It's very expensive, but I am not having to pay, I think it's still in the trial stages.

Do you know if there a drug that may be better than Tramal that I can ask about? I really hated seeing him the way he was while he was on it.

Being a bully it's really hard to tell how much pain he's in, he acts like it's not too bad, but watching him eat so carefully is so out of character for him. It's like if he even bumps his nose it really hurts. He used to eat his dinner like he's never been fed before!

I am really hoping once they do this procedure that any pain/discomfort he is feeling now will disappear, that it is the fungus that is causing it.

They also told me that for about 5 days after he will be quite messy as the cream is coming from the nose. Did your dog have this?

Edited by raffikki

Personally, I'm not a fan of Tramal. I used it for a while for my elderly cattle bitch who had kidney issues. Basically, she was like she was stoned all the time, her appetite (which was normally very good) waned and she was constipated after being on the drug only a short while.

Though I have no experience with Aspergillus my dog who has mandibular osteosarcoma takes Tramal tablets and I find them excellent for pain relief. My girl takes 250mg over 24 hours as well as piroxicam and she shows no sign of being drugged. She's as energetic as she has always been, her appetite is excellent and she has no constipation. She's been on Tramal since 2nd January and it effectively keeps her pain free. She started off on 100mg per day and I increase the dose as her pain level increases. I'm a big fan of Tramal for pain relief because my dog is able to live a normal life even though she has cancer.

I think the trick with Tramal is working out the correct dose relative to the level of pain. Strong pain needs strong pain relief.

I have just gotten back from dropping Lucky at the hospital and have a lot more information about the procedure.

His original tests involved an Endoscopy - Rhinoscopy and a CT scan, as well as blood tests.

He does have Nasal Aspergillosis, and this new treatment they are doing involves two small holes being made in the skull

(to gain access to the sinuses), administration catheters placed into the sinuses and nostrils, sealing of the nasal cavity(to prevent leakage), and then either Clotrimazole or Enilconazole administered via the catheters and left in place to soak.

I feel a bit relieved with all this information, but also really scared at the same time. :rofl:

He is after all my best friend, and it all sounds so complicated.

Sounds like we might have had a lucky break for a change settrlvr. I had been told it would be likely Charlie would need repeat treatments, but so far, he is snot free. Apparently, it is more prevalent in the humid areas like Sydney or the coast, but it's pretty dry and cold in Michelago :laugh: Fingers crossed he doesn't have a relapse.

Fingers double crossed that it works for your Bully Raffikki.

cavNrott, sorry to hear your dog has cancer :laugh: Obviously, the Tramal is working well for her. If it worked for Sheila I would have continued it, but it really affected her, so we looked at other alternatives for pain relief to deal with her arthritis.

Shaz

cavNrott, sorry to hear your dog has cancer :laugh: Obviously, the Tramal is working well for her. If it worked for Sheila I would have continued it, but it really affected her, so we looked at other alternatives for pain relief to deal with her arthritis.

I wouldn't use Tramal for arthritis either. An anti inflammatory pain reliever is needed for arthritis rather than an opioid. I have an oldie with arthritis and she has Rimadyl as needed plus glucosamine and chondroitin with msm. Shark cartilage is good for arthritis too.

Raffikki I hope all goes well with your dog.

Edited by cavNrott

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all :(

It's been 2 weeks since Lucky had the prodedure done and he's doing fantastic :laugh:

I only needed to give the Tramal tablets for a few days, one in the morning & one at night, they seemed to work altot better this time, maybe before it was more the fungus that was affecting him.

He is back to being his normal happy self(acting like a 2 yr old) , I missed that so much.

He still has to have another Rhinoscopy and a CT scan done in a couple of weeks, so a few more days of discomfort to come, but hopefully it'll be the last he has to go through.

Lucky last week, happily playing outside IMG_4050.jpg