Recall Help

I have trained my german shepherd when doing a long distance recall that she comes on my right ,around the back and than sits on my left

Have just stared going to obedience classes with my other girl and they train to come to the front.My girl I'm taking to classes at the moment hadn't had a great deal of training so has picked up the front ending fine but my other girl who i've spent a lot of time training and have not yet started taking to classes yet is still doing the ending at my left even though I'm trying to lure her with treats as she get close to me to sit at the front but no luck yet

Anyone have any ideas how to change the outcome here?

You could teach the 'front' as a separate exercise to the recall. You could backchain it - teach sit in front first, then add come fores - where you go backwards and the dog comes to you, and then get her to sit in front. If you do it on lead she doesn't have the option of going around you. Or maybe you could teach her to come to the front position from anywhere, including heel position and behind you, similar to find heel position but find front position.

Back to basics.... do really short distance recall (literally from 1 meter in front of you).

Just lure her into place with food. Then slowly increase distance.

Only do the long distance when he short distance recall ends with her in front of you.

thanks for the couple of suggestions.

When going for a walk i tend to throw in the backs where i suddenly run backwards and reel her in to the front and she has no problems there,even if i don't rell the lead in she still comes up close and sits at the front.Once we get home I also put her in a sit and leave her down stairs and go up the stairs and than cal her and she always sits in front than as well.

Just seems to be on a long distance off leash she will do it.

Will go back to basics and start with short realls and lenghten and see how we go

Thnaks again

I did what Kavik suggested and taught the position of "front" as a separate exercise (using clicker training around the house first whilst sitting in a chair). It's worked a treat and I still use the word "front" for his formal recall - I use "come" for an informal recall and he absolutely knows the difference. Good luck!

My doofus dog thinks to finish the recall.

At home I train this in the driveway and stand between the two cars so when he comes in he cannot finish as he can't get past.

Likewise any two large immoveable objects would work.

I now train the finish seperate to the recall and don't tie the two together.

Not sure what finish you do, but I would start doing it against a wall so the dog cannot get to your left. Only reward when the dog is in front of you, and use "front" for example, as a cue so your dog knows what you are asking for. I use "left" when I then want a finish.

And yes, never teach your dog to finish after every recall or front, guaranteed, it will happen in a trial without you asking for it :rolleyes: I will do my recalls with the dogs, and only ask for a finish every now and then :confused:

Once the front is mastered, you could also teach the 2 different finishes so your dog never knows which one you are wanting and will have to wait for your command prior to doing so.

Edited by BC

Not sure what finish you do, but I would start doing it against a wall so the dog cannot get to your left. Only reward when the dog is in front of you, and use "front" for example, as a cue so your dog knows what you are asking for. I use "left" when I then want a finish.

And yes, never teach your dog to finish after every recall or front, guaranteed, it will happen in a trial without you asking for it :laugh: I will do my recalls with the dogs, and only ask for a finish every now and then :mad

Once the front is mastered, you could also teach the 2 different finishes so your dog never knows which one you are wanting and will have to wait for your command prior to doing so.

I learned that one very quickly with my old ACD :rolleyes: With Zig, who is not yet trialling, I train the finish separately, sometimes release him after I've returned to his side and sometimes reward when he is still in front of me. Gotta keep the clever little Devil on his toes :confused:

Actually I also do this.

At the local running track is the simplest grandstand ever,

just two rows of concrete separeted by about a 70cm wide gap with grass growing between them.

I park the dog and walk about 20 meters away and call her, she has no choice but to come

straight to me and sit in front.

I agree with the others, train it like a new exercise. I would even use an entirely new recall word, for example I use 'come' for a front finish and 'heel' for a heel position finish. Finish your recall with your back to a wall so your dog cannot go around you and if necessary you can even fashion a chute to ensure your dog come straight to you and cannot go anywhere else. Once she's getting it you can fade of the barriers.