Question Re Price

Nevafollo

hey guys just wondering, whats a decent price to pay for a canon 300D second hand? i have a few im looking at they both come with the basic kit lens', i think one has a few more extras but just looking for an estimated cost of one of these.

thanx ash

I wouldn't pay more than a couple hundred for the body. Would need to know which lenses they are exactly (there are several "kit" lenses) before I could guess.

A brand new with warranty 350D is about $400 US and for about $100 more you can have the awesome 400D.

Of course, it depends on what your overall camera budget is. If you have a finite amount to spend and can get the body and lenses for that, then it might be the way to go. My theory is that's it's better to have something in hand and get out there and start shooting! Just be aware that the resale value of the 300 is plummeting right now.

If you can swing a newer body, I think the upgrades in these models is definitely worth it, along with the longer resale life.

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking at this one but it's already up to $263 and still has t12.5% buyers' premium on top of that, making it $296ish so far. So it's a no-go for me.

I presume the 18-55mm lens is standard?

I'll save up and get a newer digital SLR another time, I think. We want to have one before we do our Tassie trip when I (eventually) finish uni.

They are a nice camera, I was sad when one we had broke. It was a decent size

(not small like the 350 and 400d), felt more like a 'real' camera to me. And didn't

feel out of proportion when used with long lenses. I found the mechanism nice

and gentle/quiet around wildlife too. Despite the way the dollar is some people

may not want to import from overseas either.

Thanks for your learned opinions (unlike mine :rofl:) I guess it depends how much use it has had, and what condition the lenses etc are in, and I couldn't get in to view the camera for myself so it would be risky.

I'll keep checking the local classifieds for a decent camera when someone else is upgrading :rofl:

I'm going to try our electronic work bulletin board first - a guy at work sold his 350D with 18-55mm lens for $500 very quickly. I'm seling both lenses with it.

OH is a bit sad about it but today, with the new L 70-200mm attached to it, that 350D felit like it had a pvc pipe stuck to it.

Edited by Ripley