Probiotics

I was in the same situation as you Dorothyn. I called the company and got a 1kg tub instead of the 250g tub. I was told that the expiry date of the 1kg is March 2009 and you can put half in a separate container and store it in the fridge without opening it till you are ready to use it again, he said that you can add another year to it. My dog only needs 2g a day.

If it's giving him sloppy poo I'd be changing the kibble completely, especially seeing as it's been going on for so long. It's obviously not agreeing with him

Clyde, I've just ordered protexin last week. I'll give protexin a go and see how things turn out. Hopefully it will firm up his stools. :rolleyes:

Edited by panda

Thanks so much Panda and Pomquest! Your replies were very helpful.

One other question I have is, do you give this to your dogs long term? It sounds like some of you do give it to them ongoing whether they have issues or not.

I'm kind of leaning toward getting a 250g at this point, in case it doesn't do the trick for Satchel so I'm not stuck with a big tub that I don't need. I guess I can always start with that, and then get the 1kg tub next time.

Thanks again!

Dorothy

Thanks so much Panda and Pomquest! Your replies were very helpful.

One other question I have is, do you give this to your dogs long term? It sounds like some of you do give it to them ongoing whether they have issues or not.

I'm kind of leaning toward getting a 250g at this point, in case it doesn't do the trick for Satchel so I'm not stuck with a big tub that I don't need. I guess I can always start with that, and then get the 1kg tub next time.

Thanks again!

Dorothy

Hi Dorothy,

I was told by a knowledgeable friend (not a vet) to keep my boy on the Protexin for the rest of his life to keep his tummy happy. I have not heard anything bad about it so I will keep giving it to him. As Clyde said though, I also would change the kibble if you don't see any improvement. The Protexin is not a miracle worker (pretty darn good though) and some dogs do react to different ingredients in their food.

I was told by a knowledgeable friend (not a vet) to keep my boy on the Protexin for the rest of his life to keep his tummy happy. I have not heard anything bad about it so I will keep giving it to him. As Clyde said though, I also would change the kibble if you don't see any improvement. The Protexin is not a miracle worker (pretty darn good though) and some dogs do react to different ingredients in their food.

That sounds reasonable to me, especially since my little guy seems to have a sensitive tummy. I'm fortunate that the kibble is what he does the best on (no problems at all). I'm feeding him Eagle Pack Puppy Holistic at $100 or so a bag, so it darned well better be good! It's when I raw feed him that he has trouble. I'm hoping this will help with that, as I would like to primarily raw feed him.

Cheers,

Dorothy

Quite often with feeding raw, if you increase the bones in the diet the poops will firm up. All mine are on a 95% raw diet (I sometimes get lazy and give them RC kibble for brekky) and have nice poops. Except the morning after sardine night! :laugh: Good luck with the Protexin.

S.