Training Time

i have not posted here for a while, but i will put a little background in, only short though.

I have been training maiya for 2 years now got her when she was 6 weeks. she is super protective of me i found out only over the last 3 to 4 weeks, i thought she was just a sook. i also know that i have been neglecting her training due to financial issues and time constraints, but have been able to get back in over the last 2 weeks. so here goes.

i noticed that when i train her, she loves it, as long as it is exciting, so i obviously do my best to accomodate. how long do you train your dogs for when they are learning a new trick or perfecting an old one? usually she is unhappy that we are finishing her training. so i would like to get some feedback on how you do it. I think that because i am home all day and night, that i feel guilty i am not putting in as much effort as i should, ie: maybe on the days i do 4 training sessions about 10-15 minutes long.

also when i train her, because she is such an intelligent dog, i have to make things more interesting, and i find that if i don't ahve a plan that my training goes up the shit, because i don't have a clear goal, and she doesn't know what i am trying to get her to do. case in point, i am trying to get her to pick up her toys and put them in the toy box, as well as learning to take rubbish and put it in the bin. it might seem that i am lazy but i am under good authority that they like to be challenged :D

anyway, just some thoughts on that would be great.

cheers

bret

I would be training about 4 to 5 times a day for a new exercise.

The thing is not to bombard the dog with multiple exercises. Concentrate on one at a time till each one is mastered and proofed under distraction.

I would imagine teaching clean up would be quite a complicated form of retrieve.

Basic retrieve is complicated to teach properly on its own unless you are experienced but good luck.

Keep the training sessions to about 5 to 10 minutes at the very longest. Its good that she finishes wanting more.