What Brush To Use?

im having trouble with grooming my 8mth old jack russell x (as he was a rescue im not sure what he is x with does anyone have a guess?)i use a slicker brush but he doesnt like it ...it seems to hurt as he snaps at me ,if i use a normal soft brush he is fine but the soft brush just does not do the job ,his fur is corse and does not shed without me giving him a good brush ,5 min after brushing he looks like no one owns him again.......can anyone tell me what brush and shampoo i should be using? i have only ever owned short hair dogs so i would be really grateful for any advise....

Picture278.jpg

and than he turns into this :thumbsup: still handsome though.....

Picture348.jpg

If a dog objects to a slicker brush, it is generally because the owner is being to rough with it. Pull up the hair and go through it layer by layer. Try the brush on your arm just as strong as you would on him, does it hurt? scratch? Cheap brushes tend to have a poor finish on them and will scratch up the skin, some have no give in them, a 'gentle slicker' should be fine for your dog.

:thumbsup: what becks said.

I use slickers on both my poodles and my sister's short-haired dog.

Never let your dog "tell" you when to stop- they quickly learn that bad behaviour gives positive results :D.

I use any old shampoo on my dogs. Knots are 100% worse unless you brush them out B4 the bath.

A comb might also help- It's usual to use the slicker first, then comb through. Ask for a "greyhound comb"

post-6819-1206657046_thumb.jpg

Another idea ... take him to a groomer as a once off, then regularly brush to maintain a healthy coat?