Border On Lead Wants Too Play !

I have a 8 month old border collie and a 2 year old border collie, no issue with the 2 year old, just the 8 month old on the lead+halter.

Basically everytime we walk past a house with a dog barking she goes crazying, more wimping than barking, basicaly it looks like she just wants too go and play with the other dog, probably wants too round it up too ! I have tired correcting her but it doesn't seem to work. This problem appeared overnight, she has been fine before just in the last couple of weeks she has started doing this.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong ? any training ideas ?

Thanks.

I have a sheltie that goes nuts when we are going down to the beach (barking, lunging... pretty much throwing a tantrum because I havnt let her off yet :rofl: ) - I like to just stop walking when she is being crazy - the reward is the forward movement toward what she wants... so I will stop - and when she is calm - we move forward... You may need to start a ways from these other dogs...

I didnt do this at the time - but the other great thing you can do is get at a safe distance where she can focus and have her do some basic tricks (eg sit, turn around - whatever she knows! Walking nicely beside you would be the best!) and give her rewards for it - then gradually move closer and do more tricks - until she can focus on you right next to these other dogs!

I do not see much point in punishing enthusiasm. I want my dogs to play with other dogs and be happy on walks. I would just work on a system of rewarding good behaviour (whether that is rewarding focus with tricks and treats or rewarding sane behaviour with continuing the walk) and not allowing the "bad" to continue - with the "going crazy" it is very self rewarding so you cannot ignore and hope it will stop - you need to train an alternative behaviour for the same situation.

JMO - there are always many ways to deal with the same prob!

Good luck :rofl:

Bridget

I do not see much point in punishing enthusiasm. I want my dogs to play with other dogs and be happy on walks. I would just work on a system of rewarding good behaviour (whether that is rewarding focus with tricks and treats or rewarding sane behaviour with continuing the walk) and not allowing the "bad" to continue - with the "going crazy" it is very self rewarding so you cannot ignore and hope it will stop - you need to train an alternative behaviour for the same situation.

Very true, have tired what u suggested before, might have too try a bit more.

Thx.

I have a 8 month old border collie and a 2 year old border collie, no issue with the 2 year old, just the 8 month old on the lead+halter.

Basically everytime we walk past a house with a dog barking she goes crazying, more wimping than barking, basicaly it looks like she just wants too go and play with the other dog, probably wants too round it up too ! I have tired correcting her but it doesn't seem to work. This problem appeared overnight, she has been fine before just in the last couple of weeks she has started doing this.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong ? any training ideas ?

Thanks.

You will need to keep the focus off the other dog before you even arrive at the house. You can either do this with food, or a toy (or whatever she is driven by), and keep her focused on the that, also would be handy if you could teach her a focus word at home such as "watch" so she will keep her focus on you when you ask. You can also practise this on the street and when she's doing pretty well see how it goes when you walk past this certain house.

I would also take her walking by herself while you are training her to focus on something else. Can be very difficult with 2 dogs on the lead :confused:

I agree with both the other replies. My boy (16 month BC) is pretty similar, although I'm not sure he wants to play - same result though.

When another dog rushes us from behind a fence (strange concept I know, but you know what I mean) we have a command 'this way' which means we walk a little bit further away. HEAPS of praise when he does not acknowledge the other dog and keeps walking. He has come to learn that by listening to me rather than having to protect himself a. all is OK and b. even better things happen.

The other thing we do, although not all the time becuse I want him to be able to ignore the dogs, not just have his attention taken from them, is to play with his favourite squeaky toy on our way past them (fits in my pocket). That way he is positively reinforced and will not be quite as fearful next time (he knows where the dogs are).

It has been a bit of a long road as I inadvertantly taught him the fear when he was younger so we've had to turn him around in this regard.

Also - it is easier to teach this stuff on his own than with his mate. I find my bitch will correct him if he gets really out of line which just makes them fight and the whole situation gets out of hand. When the situation was at its worst I was just taking him for a 15 minute walk through 'dog infested waters' and doing heaps of the work I mentioned above.

Hope this helps too.

Cheers.

Tony

Well I have been out 3 times a day for about 15-30mins each time and have been getting her too sit/shake/drop plus treat (That works on her!) and I am working my way closer too the nosiest dogs in the neighbourhood, so far she is improving…. I did decide that it was best too leave her sister at home, as she is a BIG distraction – that will be the next problem :laugh:

Few more days and I think she will be right.

Thanks.

Edited by DiscoBorder