Can Cat Poo Make A Dog Sick?

Can cat poo make a dog sick?? I think Roxy may have eaten catpoo with a fair bit of sand.

Last Friday arvo i had a huge scare where i thought Roxy had been baited. She was shaking really badly, she had vomited about 8-10 times, and was freaking out and trying to hide.

I had a vet on stand by as they weren't too worried about her as she was fully vaccinated, and he'd ruled out most baits and suggested just keep an eye on her. She was still crook the next day but by that night was back to her normal bouncy self.

Since then i have found a bit of vomit which hadn't been washed away and it looks like sand?? Theonly reason i can think she may have eaten sand is if a cat had shat in the sandpit and she'd tried to eat it?? Has anyone elses dog ever eaten sand or catpoo and been sick from it??

Boodzey has a particular fetish for cat poo and has eaten it on many occasions and has been absolutely fine. I'd be worrying more about the sand, I guess it depends how much she has eaten. Hope that helps a little :laugh:

Odette loves cat poo, so much so we have to keep the litter tray elevated now on a stand so she cant raid it... She got into it the other day though, and then i found a little pile of vomit in the backyard where she vomited the kitty litter itself.. Other than that, doesnt seem to have done her any lasting damage!

My dogs regard cat poo as a delicacy, it's their absolute favourite and they can't resist it :laugh: I suppose that there's a remote possibility that a dog may have a bad reaction to it, but I've owned numerous dogs over the years and they've all eaten cat poo occasionally with no problems at all.

Weird. I have no idea whether she ate it or not. The vomit looks just like dried sand, i wonder why else she would eat sand?? :laugh: I'm assuming thats what made her sick??

Where do you live?

I am pretty sure there has been a bug going around. I had 5 of 6 pugs, that I had here over the weekend, throwing up. Starting early Sunday morning, 2am till 10am. The first one to throw up was the worst doing so 5 or 6 times but the others only had 1 or 2 spews.

Can cat poo make a dog sick?? I think Roxy may have eaten catpoo with a fair bit of sand.

Last Friday arvo i had a huge scare where i thought Roxy had been baited. She was shaking really badly, she had vomited about 8-10 times, and was freaking out and trying to hide.

I had a vet on stand by as they weren't too worried about her as she was fully vaccinated, and he'd ruled out most baits and suggested just keep an eye on her. She was still crook the next day but by that night was back to her normal bouncy self.

Since then i have found a bit of vomit which hadn't been washed away and it looks like sand?? Theonly reason i can think she may have eaten sand is if a cat had shat in the sandpit and she'd tried to eat it?? Has anyone elses dog ever eaten sand or catpoo and been sick from it??

I wouldn't worry too much about cat poo either. Every time I turn my back my two are into the litter tray (if I don't close the door). We don't have anywhere high enough in the hosue to 'hide' the trays.........

Hope your Roxy is OK.

Odette loves cat poo, so much so we have to keep the litter tray elevated now on a stand so she cant raid it...

hehehehehe

When we first had our cat we had kitty litter as we didn't let her outside for a little while. Boodzey would sneak in and raid it then come out looking all innocent. But the evidence was clear, he would always have a little kitty litter on his nose :laugh:

Odette loves cat poo, so much so we have to keep the litter tray elevated now on a stand so she cant raid it...

hehehehehe

When we first had our cat we had kitty litter as we didn't let her outside for a little while. Boodzey would sneak in and raid it then come out looking all innocent. But the evidence was clear, he would always have a little kitty litter on his nose :laugh:

Hahahaha that happens with Odette too. Caught red handed!!

Dogs can get toxoplasmosis from cat poo. Extremely rare as infected cats only shed it for about one week of their lives but it is possible.

I didnt know dogs could get toxo until a couple of mine got very sick last year. Turned out they got it from the raw meat I was feeding as they have no access to cats (my greyhound is not cat friendly). Meat and cat poo are the only ways to get toxo

Edited by shantiah

Dogs can get toxoplasmosis from cat poo. Extremely rare as infected cats only shed it for about one week of their lives but it is possible.

I didnt know dogs could get toxo until a couple of mine got very sick last year. Turned out they got it from the raw meat I was feeding as they have no access to cats (my greyhound is not cat friendly). Meat and cat poo are the only ways to get toxo

Oocysts are passed in the faeces of an infected cat however the cat will only shed for approx 2 weeks after exposure and the oocysts are only infective 1-5 days after faeces are passed. Cats get exposed to toxo from eating rodents, birds and raw meat. Clean the litter tray daily and don't let the cat use your garden as a toilet. Raw veges should be washed thoroughly before eating as you cannot guarantee the soil they were grown in was not used as a cat toilet (gross thought).

My dogs also love cat poo especially if they think they can lick my face afterwards!

If your dog digs they accidently ingest sand this way and it is better out than in.