Worming - A Natural Way

I read a book suggesting as a natural approach to heart worm prevention, is not to take the worming tablets but to have blood test every 6 months to check if there is any heartworm.

Is it safe to do so? If the blood test proves to have heartworms, how easy can it be treated?

Anyone doing it this way?

I read a book suggesting as a natural approach to heart worm prevention, is not to take the worming tablets but to have blood test every 6 months to check if there is any heartworm.

Is it safe to do so? If the blood test proves to have heartworms, how easy can it be treated?

Anyone doing it this way?

Skwo, as you live in Sydney, keep giving the tablets. Treating heartworm is both expensive and potentially fatal to the dog.

Guest Tess32

It is difficult to treat heartworm and the treatment can be fatal. I would not risk it after what I have recently read, thanks to other dol'ers.

I have also read along iwht everything else mentioned, that the heartworm treatment is a very painful process for your dog too ?????

I would much rather prevent than have to go down that path :laugh:

Hi,

It so much easier to treat the dog once a month.

When the monthly treatment came out many of us would not use it.

We love our dogs and where not prepared to put some poison thing in their systems that would last a month. :(

We weren't told how it worked. :laugh: Once we were given the correct information, no more daily pills. :mad

We are in fact, almost doing what you said. Only we are doing it monthly.

Instead of giving a small dose of poison every day (that's what we were doing with daily tablets) we now give one dose monthly. This kills off any heart worm very quickly and is out of the system just as quickly.

Then a month later we repeat the procedure. Every month the heart worm grows larger (if the dog is infected) and becomes more difficult to remove it. As baby puppies don't need to be on heart worm treatment till six months of age, I would say some people are relying on this as a table of growth for the heart worm. Their fore relying on the single dose to eradicate it.

Why bother blood testing ,if the dog does become infected it isnt the nicest cure & the disease is very debiletating.

There is natural & there ther is protecting your dog for an awful condition ,i now which one i select.

But we do not suggest the injection

We used daily for years & dont fell monthly is any better.

It all comes down to the product & its ingredients.Monthly is just more convient

Because heartworm is often fatal, I wouldn't use unproven natural remedies to try to prevent it. JMO though.

Not saying natural therapies aren't any good, but this isn't something I'd use them for.

Standard tablets or chews (e.g. monthly) are well tolerated, relatively cheap and proven to work.