Training Opposing Commands

I am trying to get an idea of the best way to teach opposing commands.

The story is, I have a working Kelpie and she basically knows her sides ( left and right) but as she is very sensitive to commands and pressure I find it difficult to reinforce these commands at times.

As we have had a slightly negative experience with one of our side commands, I have had to change the command for the same behaviour so she doesn't associate that command with her sensitivity.

Tonight during training I was trying to establish that she understood the commands thoroughly and then was questioning the way these things should be taught.

Would it be best to introduce one command for say left repeat only that direction until I was sure she understood or should you introduce both directions and alternate between commands to help her make the connection between the 2.

Any ideas would be good if you can understrand my question.

Maybe go back to basics and get her to balance to you while you walk around and through your sheep. You can reinforce the sides as she changes direction to balance (I hope that makes sense). I tend to work more to the dogs bad side at the moment to try to even things out.

Does she know her sides to the point where she will go a direction on voice command only while even if it is to an off balance position or is she working to get to a position of balance?

Edited by Janba

I can only think of how i teach L and R directions for retrieving and I have had a very sensitive boy to train previously.

I would say definately concentrate on one side then the other and ensure your dog is happy and regains her confidence on both sides 1st, only then start mixing the sides up.

Having said that it may all be totally different training for herding!!

Annie and her boyz

Are you training on or off stock?

I would be introducing both commands at the same time.

You would make it very obvious with either a rake, arm or your body language which direction you want her to go while saying the command. Eg. You want her to move to the right, you walk around the stock towards her so it naturally pushes her right etc.

As she gets the hang of it, you start making less obvious gestures to help her until you dont need to do anything at all when she understands the commands.

Working dogs off balance is a really good way to reinforce their commands as they naturally want to balance but you really can test how well they understand when you give them commands to work off balance.

ETA I am not sure if i am answering the question you are after though as you would already know the stuff i have written. Are you just interested in how other people train side commands or are you after suggestions with her sensitivity.

Edited by jesomil

Some herding trainers will suggest you train one direction at a time. I have found that teaching both simultaneously makes it easier for the dog to learn the different commands. Work on the weaker side more as Janba has suggested, otherwise you'll make the mistake I did.

Some very good suggestions already given here.

Just a silly question....what do you mean by sensitive? Are you applying too much pressure on her or becoming frustrated and raising your voice or is she sensitive to the rake?? Some dogs are sensitive by nature and may not be as confident as we may like to think they are. The slightest bit of extra pressure switches them off. You can usually tell this is happening when the dog stops and sniffs the ground and/or seems to lose concentration even for short bursts. These are usually the first sign of stress. Best to train in short, successful spurts rather than long drawn out sessions.

Just my 20c worth.

Edited by Kelpie-i

Kelpie-i she is sensitive to pressure full stop. She does know the voice commands but going one way (anti-clockwise) which by nature is her stronger side, she will become evasive and rush in and tail turn etc as she pressured by the command, the sheep, the fence and me.

Even working with no sheep she will get upset at the command. I like to keep her direction commands in practice so I do like a lungeing exercise for horses but without the rope as she gets scared of the rope. I have tried to use a rake as Jesomil suggested but she just shuts down completey with anything in my hand. She does not ever switch off from the sheep and sniff the ground or anything as she wants to work them but just on her terms.

Thanks for the ideas so far. i will keep working on her. We have some 3 sheep trials coming up and just wanted to get as much good training as I can.

dasha, do you mean that she goes in harder ie. with intention, when she is going clockwise?? Becomes 'pushy'??

If so, then my boy tends to do this when working smaller flocks of sheep. This is a lack of confidence to the clockwise position and I'm guessing you're right handed??

If she doesn't shut down then this is good...it means you can keep working her. You need to relax yourself as well as if you're anything like me, I tend to get worked up about this.

You want to teach her some distance and you can achieve this by placing some old tyres between her and the sheep in a round yard. Use a stick or something long to keep pushing her out. Work with a small group of sheep.

I'm not sure if this will help...it did for me.

Good luck and let us know how you go with the 3 sheep trial.