Toilet Train A Shar Pei Pup

LostBoy

Hi all, I know this topic has been discussed to death proven by the numerous threads about house training and I've read most of them. But I just can't think of a way to housetrain my pup. My apartment's starting to be invested with urines and faeces eventhough I've tried everything I read here (well....almost anyway).

Here's my story, I have a 8 weeks old shar pei pup. I'm living in an apartment by the way. Today would be his 4th day in the house. He has been confined in an area approximately 5x4m in the living room part of my apartment. First couple of days, he has been eliminating in a spot where my friend's dog used to vomit so I guess the smell's there. I have been trying to use one of those housetraining pads and have been putting several on the spot where he usually go. I don't mind with this. Lately however, he's been eliminating at every place around his confinement area and the worst part is, he always step on his own poo leaving poo paw marks :mad In terms of peeing however, he's been sticking to the same vicinity.

In my housetraining, I tried bringing him straight to his designated area which is the bathroom (I even tried the balcony) but the 'lil guy just wont do his business. I once stayed there for half an hour with him and keep saying "go toilet, toilet" but he ends up sleeping there. I've also noticed that he usually hold it until he fell asleep after each meal which can be about 1 to 2 hours after meal. I also noticed that he won't eliminate when there's people around the house.

Last resort I can think of is to crate train him, but I'm still under the impression that shar pei breeds tend to housetrain itself and would eliminate in a place as furthest away from the house as possible. But this doesn't seem to be the case with my shar pei. If I crate him, he would whine and start biting the door so I'm thinking, wouldn't this give negative attitude towards the dog?

During the night, he keeps whining every 2-3 hours after he falls asleep. Like justnow, he started whining for half an hour. When he stopped, I opened my bedroom door, walked out and find faeces on the rug :o

Please help DOLers, today is his 4th day but I feel as if my house is starting to feel like a pigsty with faeces and urines. I know I have put washable rugs on top of the base carpet, I know I've picked up the faeces, I know most urines have been abosrbed by the pads but because of the semi dry faeces, some leftovers are still sticking on the rugs and I can't wash them everyday can I?

Hi :mad

When you can't watch him and he is confined, confine him to an area that is easy to clean (no carpet). Crate training would be ideal for these times.

Is there a reason you can't take him outside to go to the toilet? I would imagine when fully grown his business will be a substantial size and personally I would not want it anywhere in my house. If you want him to go outside eventually, it would be easier to do that straight away, so he doesn't learn it is OK to go in the house. If you must train him to go inside, pick a spot that you want him to go and be persistent in taking him to the same area. There are a few things on the market like the pet loo which have fake grass and look easy enough to clean.

Take him to his area frequently, after meals, after play, after waking, when he looks like he needs to go. Lots of praise when he does go. Supervise at all times so that he does not have the chance to make a mess. You can attach his lead to you if you want so you know where he is.

Hi :mad

Is there a reason you can't take him outside to go to the toilet? I would imagine when fully grown his business will be a substantial size and personally I would not want it anywhere in my house. If you want him to go outside eventually, it would be easier to do that straight away, so he doesn't learn it is OK to go in the house. If you must train him to go inside, pick a spot that you want him to go and be persistent in taking him to the same area. .Thanks for the reply Kavik.

I can't take him outside simply because he just had his first injection and his second injection is due on April the 1st which is another 4 weeks from now.

Take him to his area frequently, after meals, after play, after waking, when he looks like he needs to go. Lots of praise when he does go. Supervise at all times so that he does not have the chance to make a mess. You can attach his lead to you if you want so you know where he is.I did so. Even for half an hour and he did nothing

There are a few things on the market like the pet loo which have fake grass and look easy enough to clean

A friend of mine has one, doesnt work for his dog though and he told me pet loo is quite expensive. Therefore I'm a bit reluctant to buy one. I can however, borrow it from him for a couple of days and see if it works

Do you want him to toilet inside as an adult? Apart from the pet loo not sure what to suggest there - newspaper is traditional but not absorbent enough for long term use. Those dog toilet pads? Are they any good?

Is there a courtyard/shared yard for the apartment you can use to toilet him in until he has had his vaccinations? Dogs often develop surface preferences for toileting for life. If you want him to prefer grass, I would start him on that sooner rather than later.

The main thing is patience and persistence :mad

Lost Boy:

During the night, he keeps whining every 2-3 hours after he falls asleep. Like justnow, he started whining for half an hour. When he stopped, I opened my bedroom door, walked out and find faeces on the rug

My guess is he's telling you he needs to toilet. If he wakes up, GET UP and take him to his toileting spot. Very few 8 week old pups sleep through the night.

If you leave urine and faeces on your carpet he will toilet on it, so yes you have to clean it all off every time. A pet loo is a hell of a lot cheaper than new carpet. If you don't stop him toileting on the carpet fairly quickly, he'll keep doing it.

You take him to his spot, stay with him until he toilets and praise him. Stay there till he does it no matter how long he takes. I'd be taking him after meals, after play, and when he wakes. A bit of play can stimulate toileting.

What's the eventual plan for his toileting? You want to be doing that as soon as possible.

Are you leaving him loose in the house when you're in bed? I'd be crating him. You either need to be watching him or have him locked in a secure area, preferably off the carpet.

Did you discuss these toileting arrangements with the pup's breeder? You need to develop a plan as to how/where this pup will toilet as an adult and work towards it. Sharpei are not small dogs and having one toileting anywhere it likes in your apartment will create a big hygiene issue. Are you renting this apartment?

Edited by poodlefan

I agree with Kavik, patience and persistance. I'm wondering how long you thought it would take for your pup to be toilet trained? Ive had a LOT of experience with this and some take 3 months and others can just be trained within days. I know nothing about peis so they may be different, I've always heard they are very clean dogs. 8 weeks is very very young, and difficult being in an apartment. I'll just say how I have always trained all my dogs, it may not be feasible for you, I don't know your living situation.

We always have the pup in a room with us, doors closed. The SECOND a pup looks uncomfortable, wanders, sniffs we take (QUICKLY) it outside (your balcony??) and say Do Wees, many times, IF the pup does go, praise praise praise. We say Good girl, yes yes, fantastic etc. in an excited voice so they know they have done well. If they do not go, that's fine, we have just misjudged the signs. But, you can never 'rest' about this and must get the dog out EVERY time. I would not go to bed if the dog has not eliminated as obviously, they are going to need to go during the night. Pups have a very small bladder/bowel and there is no way they can 'hang' on, it's not physically possible. If the pup is crying, it knew it needed to go, which is a good sign, just unfortunate that you did not realise. If you want to save your rug, either pick it up and put it away somewhere while the pup is being trained, or put the pup somewhere else. There is always a solution.

If he has not gone where you want him to go after half an hour, you just have to keep taking him to the spot, at intervals of say 5 or 10 mins until he does. Then praise him greatly. He wil soon get the idea. Always make it the same door to go out of and where you can see, ie. you're in the lounge and the door in the kitchen etc. You must be in the same room. Sorry this is so long, but honestly, it is really easy to toilet train a pup, but yes it is hard work and very repetitive and you must NEVER chastise a pup for having an accident. All that will happen is that it will be afraid to go and be confused as to what you really want, and never be trained. Good luck, I really love sharpeis, they are lovely. What colour do you have? Maybe you could post a photo. :mad:o

Agree with Poodlefan LB

I have never meet a Pei pup before that will walk in thier poo, you must have a real individual there

I know you are taking him outside on the balcony for toilet, but you have to stay out there until he has gone toilet

You are expecting an awful lot of an 8 weeks old puppy, they have almost no control over their bodily functions at that age and when they want to go it just happens. You should crate the puppy overnight and get up and take him outside (or wherever it is you want him to go) when he whimpers, you cannot expect a tiny puppy to hold on all night.

It may be weeks before he is 100% reliable.

Hi guys. I'm a bit happier now. I'm staying over at my friends' place with a big backyard and three of their dogs. Hiro's been eliminating well in the backyard and hasn't pooped or peed in the house. During dinner he didn't eat that much but about 15 minutes later, he peed abit. It has been 3 hours ever since but he hasn't gone for another one. Will take him out to the backyard again before I go to bed.

I don't think he likes eliminating inside the house.

I'll be staying here for two days, once I got back to my apartment I will give you guys some updates.

Thanks

A bit of update. Hiro was in the bedroom with me through the night. He woke up around 6AM about 7 hours after we went to the bedroom. He didn't whine, but when I saw him awake I thought I'd bring him to eliminate. I opened the door to the backyard and the cold wind just put his fire down. He rushed straight to the toilet and peed in the pad. Then rushed back to his crate and back to sleep. (the toilet door was open and there were some pads on the floor).

Around 7:30AM, I woke up, took him to the backyardbut he didn't want to go out and peed on the floormat (my mistake, I should've brought him to the backyard not wait until he walks out the door but I was half asleep/awake and it was cold as). An hour later, I fed him then took him to the backyard again. This time he pooed and pee.

The only thing I dont understand now is, the pup spends maybe 1/2 of his day sleeping, when I took him out to play he walked a couple of paces then sat down not long after, he would walk up to the door and wanting to come inside :(:laugh:

All and all, everything looks fine and dandy so I guess the problem lies with me and my apartment living.

Poodlefan - My contract ends on 9/10/08 so I guess I would be moving out somewhere early/middle August to a house with a backyard. In the time being, I would be coming back here to my friend's place regularly until Hiro has his 2nd injection. Then I can take him out to eliminate. However, even before I got the pup; my breeder's been telling me to take him for walks straight after I got him as she believes her dogs are very healthy and the chance of getting parvo is the same inside/outside the house. :rofl: So I think I would do as what she told me to.

Please do not walk him on the street LB, a puppy can be healthy but until he has his 2nd vaccination (2 weeks) he can catch and die from Parvo

Monique should no better than to tell you to walk an unvaccinated pup on the street

The chance of getting Parvo is not the same as inside/outside

Do you have say 50 strange dogs in and out of your apartment? that many walk down the street

Do you want me to email you the puppy school booklet so that you can have a read through before you got to puppy school? Sounds like it might help you out a bit now :laugh:

Yes please. I have emailed you about puppy class update as well before I read your post.

Please do not walk him on the street LB, a puppy can be healthy but until he has his 2nd vaccination (2 weeks) he can catch and die from Parvo

Monique should no better than to tell you to walk an unvaccinated pup on the street

Do you have say 50 strange dogs in and out of your apartment? that many walk down the street

Roughly counting, I'd say there's about 10 in my apartment. Not many dogs walk around the neighbourhood either .

As I have probably mentioned in my earlier post, I'm likely to stay at my friends' place with a large backyard on most days except Monday and Tuesday so I guess there problem (prior to 2nd vacc) would be when I'm in the apartment on Monday and Tuesday. I'm thinking, the solution is perhaps to take him to the basement carpark to eliminate or a small grass area just outside the apartment.

I'm still new to all this puppy raising issues so please accept my apology if I may have written stupid comments or inappropriate ideas.

Do you want me to email you the puppy school booklet so that you can have a read through before you got to puppy school? Sounds like it might help you out a bit now :rofl:

Yes please. I have emailed you about puppy class update as well before I read your post.

Roughly counting, I'd say there's about 10 in my apartment. Not many dogs walk around the neighbourhood either .

As I have probably mentioned in my earlier post, I'm likely to stay at my friends' place with a large backyard on most days except Monday and Tuesday so I guess there problem (prior to 2nd vacc) would be when I'm in the apartment on Monday and Tuesday. I'm thinking, the solution is perhaps to take him to the basement carpark to eliminate or a small grass area just outside the apartment.

I'm still new to all this puppy raising issues so please accept my apology if I may have written stupid comments or inappropriate ideas.

Hi! I have been using this site for assistance with our pup (different issue) but one thing we have been able to do is toilet train her.

Noodle is now 13 weeks old and she only just started sleeping through the night as of last Friday (she was 13 weeks on Saturday). From 8 week until last Friday night I have been taking her out about 11pm, 2am and 4am (like having a new born baby again!!). She would get up and shake herself roughly at those times and I would put her on a lead and take her outside (no time to organise myself .. slippers etc .. outside as FAST as possible!!) to wee and poo .. most often both. We have got into a routine of not feeding her after about 7pm at night ... lessens the possibilities of going number twos in the middle of the night.

Noodle is in a pen at night with her crate in the penned area on lino which is easy to clean - she also had an absorbant pad (on the 'pad holder') and she started to go regularly on that ... sometimes you could see she stood on it with her front end and back end overhanging ... good try though!! :eek: . The crate at the moment has the door open with a bowl of water attached to the inside of the pen (I will start to get her used to having the crate door shut after this weekend as more likelyhood of her not going to the loo in the middle of the night.). The pen is in the kitchen at one end - I don't care what it looks like ... we have not had many visitors over the past few weeks anyway. Noodle goes out on her own ( m,ean we put her out and she is not on a lead) when she wakes now between 6 and 7am in the morning. We have been using verbal cues since the day we got her to 'Go wee' everytime she urinates or poos (I have realised 'Go wee" 'Go poo' would sound the same to her as the voice intonation is the same for both cues.

When not sleeping Noodle is with us inside or out on her own ... when inside usually on a long lead attached to the kitchen drawers meaning she can get under the computer chair and be 'with us' but we can also monitor her cues to go to the toilet. Yes, we had a few occassions where we missed the cues ... the floor has never been washed so many times!! :laugh: If I take her out and she doesn't 'go' I bring her back in and put her in the pen for 10 minutes then take her out again .. now when she gets woken up to 'go' she 'goes' within 30 sec of getting on the grass (on lead) and then turns around to come back in .. I let her off the lead and she goes back to her crate and settles herself back to sleep.

Noodle is often on the lead when inside. When the kids have gone to bed she is often off lead and I have found she confines herself to the kitchen and with a small verbal correction of 'Ah AH!!' she refrains from going into the bedrooms or on the parquetry. Before I am misinterpreted by others on the forum ... yes, there are other areas of the house she will be able to go but at this stage she is not 'trustworthy' to be allowed in them. Other times she is outside with her toys (just bought a new one ... fabulous bungee rope thingo attached to our carport that she can play tug of war on (does not play this game with any of us) ... she loves it!! It goes out when we go out/put the washing out ... good treat.

And yes, 2 - 3 walks a day so she is definately not 'housebound as my description may sound.

Don't know if any of this will be of assistance to you but this has worked for us. :eek:

Hi! I have been using this site for assistance with our pup (different issue) but one thing we have been able to do is toilet train her.

Noodle is now 13 weeks old and she only just started sleeping through the night as of last Friday (she was 13 weeks on Saturday). From 8 week until last Friday night I have been taking her out about 11pm, 2am and 4am (like having a new born baby again!!). She would get up and shake herself roughly at those times and I would put her on a lead and take her outside (no time to organise myself .. slippers etc .. outside as FAST as possible!!) to wee and poo .. most often both. We have got into a routine of not feeding her after about 7pm at night ... lessens the possibilities of going number twos in the middle of the night.

Noodle is in a pen at night with her crate in the penned area on lino which is easy to clean - she also had an absorbant pad (on the 'pad holder') and she started to go regularly on that ... sometimes you could see she stood on it with her front end and back end overhanging ... good try though!! :confused: . The crate at the moment has the door open with a bowl of water attached to the inside of the pen (I will start to get her used to having the crate door shut after this weekend as more likelyhood of her not going to the loo in the middle of the night.). The pen is in the kitchen at one end - I don't care what it looks like ... we have not had many visitors over the past few weeks anyway. Noodle goes out on her own ( m,ean we put her out and she is not on a lead) when she wakes now between 6 and 7am in the morning. We have been using verbal cues since the day we got her to 'Go wee' everytime she urinates or poos (I have realised 'Go wee" 'Go poo' would sound the same to her as the voice intonation is the same for both cues.

When not sleeping Noodle is with us inside or out on her own ... when inside usually on a long lead attached to the kitchen drawers meaning she can get under the computer chair and be 'with us' but we can also monitor her cues to go to the toilet. Yes, we had a few occassions where we missed the cues ... the floor has never been washed so many times!! :laugh: If I take her out and she doesn't 'go' I bring her back in and put her in the pen for 10 minutes then take her out again .. now when she gets woken up to 'go' she 'goes' within 30 sec of getting on the grass (on lead) and then turns around to come back in .. I let her off the lead and she goes back to her crate and settles herself back to sleep.

Noodle is often on the lead when inside. When the kids have gone to bed she is often off lead and I have found she confines herself to the kitchen and with a small verbal correction of 'Ah AH!!' she refrains from going into the bedrooms or on the parquetry. Before I am misinterpreted by others on the forum ... yes, there are other areas of the house she will be able to go but at this stage she is not 'trustworthy' to be allowed in them. Other times she is outside with her toys (just bought a new one ... fabulous bungee rope thingo attached to our carport that she can play tug of war on (does not play this game with any of us) ... she loves it!! It goes out when we go out/put the washing out ... good treat.

And yes, 2 - 3 walks a day so she is definately not 'housebound as my description may sound.

Don't know if any of this will be of assistance to you but this has worked for us. :laugh:

Thanks for the input NoodleNut. Tonight will be my baby's third night at my friend's place. So far he had only one accident which was my fault because once we woke up, I went to the toilet first instead of taking him to the backyard.

I have found that my Hiro likes to eliminate on grass area and wont pee in the pads if he's really forced to. I will be coming back to my apartment tomorow and a bit confused. I think the only way is to regularly bring him out to the ground floor in the tiny grassy area on lead and hopefully he'll want to eliminate there. Will let you guys know how it goes tomorrow.

Cheers

Gomez has lived his whole life in apartments, and was toilet trained on a fifth floor in London, with the closest grass being a 5 minute walk, so the pavement it was.

From when we got him at 8 weeks, he was crate trained and taken out every hour at first and as he got older, every 2 hours, after eating, playing, sleeping, etc... it took about 3 months, but it was all well worth it -

I think you really need to consider crate training, not only will it help you with toilet training, but in the future, if you need to travel with him, or kennel him, or contain him, it comes in very handy. Put it this way, by the time we left London to come here last year, Gomez was quite happy to stay in his crate comfortab;y for the 24 hour flight and he still goes in it to take naps or to sleep.

Now we still live in an apartment, and he gets taken for walks 4 times a day - he has not had an accident for years...

It's really not impossible to toilet train your pup in an apartment, think of the thousand of people that live in New York City that own pets, they all live in apartments!

Noodle is in a pen at night with her crate in the penned area on lino which is easy to clean - she also had an absorbant pad (on the 'pad holder') and she started to go regularly on that ... sometimes you could see she stood on it with her front end and back end overhanging ... good try though!! :confused: . The crate at the moment has the door open with a bowl of water attached to the inside of the pen (I will start to get her used to having the crate door shut after this weekend as more likelyhood of her not going to the loo in the middle of the night.). The pen is in the kitchen at one end - I don't care what it looks like ... we have not had many visitors over the past few weeks anyway. Noodle goes out on her own ( m,ean we put her out and she is not on a lead) when she wakes now between 6 and 7am in the morning. We have been using verbal cues since the day we got her to 'Go wee' everytime she urinates or poos (I have realised 'Go wee" 'Go poo' would sound the same to her as the voice intonation is the same for both cues.

Don't know if any of this will be of assistance to you but this has worked for us. :laugh:

Thanks for the input NoodleNut. Tonight will be my baby's third night at my friend's place. So far he had only one accident which was my fault because once we woke up, I went to the toilet first instead of taking him to the backyard.

I have found that my Hiro likes to eliminate on grass area and wont pee in the pads if he's really forced to. I will be coming back to my apartment tomorow and a bit confused. I think the only way is to regularly bring him out to the ground floor in the tiny grassy area on lead and hopefully he'll want to eliminate there. Will let you guys know how it goes tomorrow.

Cheers

Hi Lost boy,

Yes, no time to go to the toilet yourself! No slippers on ... no passing 'GO' to collect $200! :shhh: I learnt that early on ... their urge to pee is a lot greater than mine!! LOL Don't worry 'it will happen' .. just seems like a long time going back and forth and using the crate/penned area or a grass patch. I have had two children and toilet training them took a heck of a lot longer .. 5 weeks is nothing in comparison to a baby .. feeding and changing nappies! :laugh:

I agree that crate training is the way to go - worth it in the long run. We are going to be camping fairly soon so the crate will be coming with Noodle which will hopefully mean a 'dry' tent and a peaceful night!! At 13 and a half weeks I haven't had to wash the kitchen floor now for over a week (well, I have washed it but not because of Noodle! Grin .. don't want you to think I'm a slob or something). Keep at it.... your persistence and consistency will reap rewards in a clean floor. Got any pictures to brag about LostBoy?

Gomez has lived his whole life in apartments, and was toilet trained on a fifth floor in London, with the closest grass being a 5 minute walk, so the pavement it was.

From when we got him at 8 weeks, he was crate trained and taken out every hour at first and as he got older, every 2 hours, after eating, playing, sleeping, etc... it took about 3 months, but it was all well worth it -

I think you really need to consider crate training, not only will it help you with toilet training, but in the future, if you need to travel with him, or kennel him, or contain him, it comes in very handy. Put it this way, by the time we left London to come here last year, Gomez was quite happy to stay in his crate comfortab;y for the 24 hour flight and he still goes in it to take naps or to sleep.

Now we still live in an apartment, and he gets taken for walks 4 times a day - he has not had an accident for years...

It's really not impossible to toilet train your pup in an apartment, think of the thousand of people that live in New York City that own pets, they all live in apartments!

Hi Gomez, thank you for the info. It makes me feel better now that I'm not the only one.

Well, I'm back to my apartment now and nightmare's back hauting me. This arvo after feeding Hiro, I took him downstairs to the tiny grassy/gravel area. He peed but did not do his number 2. I spent about 15 minutes to no avail.

Went back upstairs and an hour later took him back down. Same thing happend. Did peed but no numero 2. By the way, he was on leash.

7 hours have passed and he has yet to do his number 2.

I've just fed him dinner and put him in my toilet with newspapers lying around. Still no luck tho..Now he's whining :rofl:

When I was at my friends' place, he had one tiny accident. Apart from that incident, every 2 hours or so, everytime he woke up, every meal, I took him out and he would either peed or pooed outside on sandy backyard under a tree without leash.

Getting desperate again now...

I will confine/crate train him as of tonight on a hallway blocked by a gate with his crate, water bowl and toys. Will bring him out every 2 hours to the bathroom and see how he'll react. But at the moment it's looking bleak as Hiro's just whining in the toilet without poo :rofl::mad :p

Edit, piccies are here :

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...829&st=2040

Edited by LostBoy