Fat Lip

I've got home this afternoon to one beagle with a very fat lip. I'm just wondering whether she's been bitten by a bee or ant or even a mozzie and it's swelled up?

We've looked in the gum to see if there was still a stinger in there, but we couldn't see anything.

Can I give her an antihistamine like Telfast? That's all I have here.

Will it help her, or should I not bother?

I have the 180mg tablets.

Bee sting is the usual diagnosis if you visit a vet (but lets face it, unless the sting is found or the animal talks it is a guess). I would not give the Telfast, dogs need quite a small dose and I would not risk side effects. If your dog gets distressed call your after hours vet for advice, otherwise a cold cloth should help relieve swelling or itching.

Edited by lucknow

Well, I'd already given her half a telfast tablet when I saw your post. I kept an eye on her all night. The area seemed to soften out (not as hard as it was) and the swelling reduced before we put them to bed. She looked almost normal this morning when we got up.

I don't know what it was, but she didn't seem too bothered by it. She wasn't scratching at it and was acting totally normal.

I would bet that it was a wasp, unless your dog is one of the few that are allergic to them (and she isn't because the reaction occurs almost immediately) there is nothing to worry about.

Nova has an allergic reaction sometimes that causes her lips to swell up, drooling, sneazing etc. It doesn't have to be a bite or sting, most of the time she gets it just from rubbing her face a lot into the grass or against her hammock outside as she sometimes does when she gets really excited. I just give her a phenergan tablet and she is right as rain in no time :mad

It's human stuff, an antihistimine like the telfast. I tried a few and the phenergan worked best so that's what I use but for your dogs you might find the Telfast is fine. I give one 10mg tablet, which is the recommended childrens dose. Both my dogs are about 40kg.

If you going to try at home here are recommended dosages as provided by a veterinary hosp. I would still say be careful, I gave recommended dose to my son and he had a hyper! On a plane! Lasted hours! Antihistamines do have side effects and should be used cautiously. Vets often give with cortisone to achieve best effect. What works for one may not work for another.

Anti-histamine, Dose, Drowsiness

Benadryl

Liquid 2 mg/kg 3 times a day Yes

Piriton

4 mg tablets 4-12 mg/dog twice a day

4 mg/cat twice a day

(Drug of choice in cats) Yes

Periactin

4 mg tablets

Liquid- 1.2 mg/5mls 0.2 mg/kg twice a day Yes

Telfast

60 mg tablets 2 mg/kg twice a day No