Springer Vs Walky Dog Bicycle Attachment

Hi all.

I have half an idea to train for and do an endurance test with my kelpie some time this year.

I am considering purchasing either a Springer or a Walky Dog attachment for training (yes I know they can't be used in the actual test) and am interested in the pros and cons of both.

Has anyone got any experience with either of these? A search of previous threads on this topic didn't shed any light on the safety features or indicate any preference for one over the other.

For general information (if it helps), my dog is well behaved on lead, does tend to run a little in front of me (when we jog) but doesn't pull or lunge (for the most part). He gets in a "zone" when we jog and pretty much just ignores everything around him, just concentrates on his stride.

Can either of these attachments be set to stop the dog getting in front of the front wheel? i.e. can you set the length of lead the dog gets?

Any feedback much appreciated.

Cheers

Superminty

I've owned neither but have looked into it. Apparently the springer does not fit all bicycles.

The walky dog is adjustable. Looks like the springer has some adjustment too.

I have decided on a walky dog and will be getting one as soon as they are available (importer has none, some expected mid march).

Either would keep the dog from getting in front of the front wheel.

Springer has the spring to absorb shock of lunging dog which it looks like walky dog has not, however none of mine lunge either.

Mandy from Callicoma has told me she can take two pulling kelpies (on harnesses) on one walky dog.

I've never used a springer, but I do love my walky dog! It's got a bungee rope inside the metal housing and it also has 3 springs which you can reduce to 2 or 1 depending on the height of your dog. It's not physically possible for your dog to get under the wheel, the metal bar keeps them at a distance. If they lunge the cord absorbs the shock. I do tend to keep my hands on the brakes just in case, and although I've screeched to a halt more than once to avoid roaming dogs, I've never come off, and I'm very accident prone, so that's saying a lot :(

Hi :laugh:

My dogs got a walkydog for christmas, and we really like it! I ran my non bike savvy dog with it after just a very short desensitisation to the "scary" bike and he did fine. I run my 2 dogs at once now, one on the walkydog on my right side and the other on a leash on my left, each ride the dogs swap sides/attachments... I started with my ET titled bike savvy dog on the leash but swapped for the second pairs ride and my new to bikes dog did fine on the leash after his turns on the walkydog. It seems to be safe for both person and dog, with the dogs haveing a spring loaded attachment so they don't get a shock to the collar and also keeps them back from the front wheel. And they don't seem to have any power to pull the bike over, it passed the cat test, the rabbit test and the strange dogs rushing the fence at us test so far!

No idea how it compares to the Spinger.

Good luck with your ET :)

I have a walkydog also and *I* couldn't bike without it...Geordie is fine, I however am a bit unco. :thumbsup:

Good to know Mandy runs 2 kelpies on one...

Yes the walkydog lead is quite short (although you could replace it with a longer one if needed) and there is no way they get in front of the front wheel.

Mel.

I haven't used a springer so comment on that but I run both my dogs on either side of me on a walkydog and it works well for us.

You can set it so it is quite far back or they are level with you as it's adjustable.

When you say "run both my dogs on either side of me on a walkydog", do you mean you have two of them, one for each side of the bike?

I haven't used a springer so comment on that but I run both my dogs on either side of me on a walkydog and it works well for us.

You can set it so it is quite far back or they are level with you as it's adjustable.

When you say "run both my dogs on either side of me on a walkydog", do you mean you have two of them, one for each side of the bike?

Yes two walkydogs and I find this method works really well for us.