Too Excited?

Cat

I have a four month old puppy. He is pretty good with regards to toilet training but will sometimes have an accident. The biggest problem though is when he comes across one of our cats. He wees, but I think it is just because he gets too excited as he is usually bouncing around trying to get them to play. OH suggested it could be him trying to mark his territory as sometimes he is still when he does it. Do they mark territory at four months? If it is just excitement is he likely to just grow out of it?

You'll probably find its' excitment urination which they grow out of. I haven't heard them doing it to a cat before, usually humans.

I don't think he'd be marking quite yet, once they start to lift their leg (if not desexed) is generally the time marking occurs. Dante started leg lifting and marking outside at approx 7 months of age, different breeds mature at different rates.

Edited by sas

It's called submissive urination and they do it usually when they want to play, but want to show that they're not the dominant one.

You'll find your dog will slowly grow out of it.

Submission & Excitment Urination are 2 different things, I don't think the puppy is being submissive to the Cat?

It's called submissive urination and they do it usually when they want to play, but want to show that they're not the dominant one.

You'll find your dog will slowly grow out of it.

Submission & Excitment Urination are 2 different things, I don't think the puppy is being submissive to the Cat?

Oh really? I wasn't aware of that. My vet referred to it as submissive urination, but I guess in Chloe's case it was always to bigger dogs.