Is My Dog Becoming Dog Aggressive Or Just Intolerant?

I have Hera, a 8.5-year-old Kelpie X GSD. She's the first dog I ever had on my own and I had her since she's about 5-6 weeks old (she's a pound dog).

We did puppy school, obedience and agility. We had to stop agility as she had HD and needed to be operated. Just before the operation I've got another dog (from the pound again) - a 16-year-old pointer. He was very active for his age and nobaody would have guessed he would have been that old. The 2 of them got along fine and Hera got along with all other dogs without problems. The old dog died 2 months short of his 18th birthday. Since we moved back to Australia I only had Hera. We just started to go to dog school again but before we always met heaps of dogs during the walk and wnet occaisonally to the dog park.

In the last few months I've noticed a more aggressive behaviour in her when she's around other dogs. Usually when she didn't like one she just backed of but know she goes towards to dog sniffing, growling and showing her teeth. She's been in a couple of fights lately and I'm getting a bit concerned as I'm getting my first pedigree dog (a puppy) in 4 weeks.

I'm not sure if she starts to become dog-aggressive or if it's just her age and she wants to be left alone. She never cared too much about other dogs which is good but I don't want her to fight.

Any ideas?

In the last few months I've noticed a more aggressive behaviour in her when she's around other dogs. Usually when she didn't like one she just backed off but now she goes towards to dog sniffing, growling and showing her teeth.

I'd suggest there's a bit of a clue here (refer highlighted words). A move of home and/or a change within the pack - and your dog has gone through both in recent times, can upset the heirarchy balance, so I'd be checking your relationship with your dog to ensure that balance is as best as it can be. You should be the one to protect her and she needs to know that she can trust you to do that.

The other thing to consider is the possibility of a medical/neurological issue and it might be worth visiting the Vet for a check-up, if you haven't already done so recently.

Beyond the above, Oceanaussi, there's not much more that can be suggested in cases of aggression, other than to seek assistance from a trainer/behaviourist qualified/experienced in the area of "canine aggression". So much is lost in the absence of observation opportunity.

She's been in a couple of fights lately and I'm getting a bit concerned as I'm getting my first pedigree dog (a puppy) in 4 weeks.

Given the above and that your new pup could suffer life lasting issues in the event of a traumatic experience as the result of aggression from Hera, I'd definitely make seeing a trainer/behaviourist a priority.

Edited by Erny

My folks had a dog around the same age that was wonderful with all dogs until he hit around 8-ish and he started to become less tolerant with younger dogs in particular. We picked up a young adult female dog from the pound not long after and he cheered up almost overnight. I swear she added years to his life.

I don't know if that's typical of all only dogs as they get older, but it does seem that they (only's in particular) get more intolerant of rude behaviour and more picky about what dogs they'll accept.

If that's the case though it doesn't mean she should be allowed to keep it up, everything Erny's said is right on (as usual :rofl:) and you want to make sure the new pup is accepted without too many dramas.

Yes, I did take her to the Vet and she's fine. He said it's her age, she becomes less tolerant. She has never been a real dog lover - she'd take them or leave them. And even now she seem to be in 'dog mood' sometimes and goes up and play.

I will tell more about the fights:

We've found a stray (actually my neighbours dog) and I took her with us (both dogs are desexed bitches and were off leash) and I did see, they just tolerating each other but weren't really keen on each other. Coming home, I just wanted to ensure Hera stays at my place while I take the other dog across the road. Before I knew it both of them stepped inside the yard, Hera turned around to the other dog and a big fight started. IMO that was territorial.

Couple of weeks ago, I took her to a new dog club, a little cocker spaniel pup came up and she growled it off but tried to follow which she couldn't because she was on the leash.

A week later, same dog club, she was laying on her back and I was petting her tummy when a Staffy came to sniff her privates. She went beserk - luckily I had her on the leash.

We occaisionally go to a dog park and she never had any problems there. But she just doesn't love other dog which is ok. If a dog is not runinng up to her, she wouldn't get out of her way to meet it.

She never ever liked herr butt to be sniffed and if another dog insists on that she will growl. She also doesn't like more than 2 dogs coming towards her and she hates when dogs race towards her.

I do think that she's getting older and less tolerant. I do believe that I have some negative thoughts when the bad things happen and I should have a more positive attitude but it's very hard. I also have the feeling she just doesn't like other bitches. She was happily playing with a little Staffy pup a few months ago and a male Rottweiler got into our yard a few weeks ago and she actually happily played with him. And I also think she's more aggressive on leash than off leash.

What's your opinion on that?

And I also think she's more aggressive on leash than off leash.

What's your opinion on that?

Tension on lead? Good for you taking her to the vet. Were any blood tests taken, ie thyroid T4? How is her HD treatment progressing. You placed her, no doubt in compromised positions, tummy rubbing for example and another dog caused her fear response. You need to find non reactive safe dogs without distractions by the the sounds of it.