Teaching Competitive Heeling And Building Food Drive

Hi all

Just wondering whether anyone could recommend some resources (books, DVDs etc) that cover:

1) building food drive and/or

2) teaching competitive heeling using food.

I have a 2 year old kelpie who isn't that interested in toys but loves his food, however the few attempts I have made at shaping/capturing the heel position (using a clicker) have resulted in him lagging.

He also side tracks which drives me crazy!

Thanks!

Hi Superminty...long time no see.......Ha

I think the Leerburg one is based on food spitting?

With Oscar I use a combination of things to build his drive.

I fast once a week (twice on a trialling week, but give him extra large feeds) He watches other dog eat on fasting days too.

I also think it is important to feed in the morning, which most trialling times are, so hunger peaks at the right time, and the dogs body clock gets used to recharging at that time.

His feed comes mostly from a target bag, and the running to and from the bag seems to make it more exciting for him.

I also play two food game sepperate to any formal work as part of his weekly training, and occasionally before we start to warm up.

I always use a release command, and also mark periodically, even when he has a good understanding during the longer exercises.

I would not call my dog super drivey........but I think that I have maximised what I do have using these methods.

I would also ask Rino what methods he uses......now thats a food drivey dog!!

Edited by dogdude

Thanks for your replies everyone.

dogdude: I was planning on picking both your brain and Rino's at training in the near future but was hoping you'd drop into this thread and give me some ideas, thanks. It was watching you guys at training on Sunday that prompted me to get a move on. Interesting that you say Oscar isn't super drivey as he looks great when he's working :love: and has the kind of attention I am after with my boy.

Be prepared to be interrogated in the near future :(

Thanks for your replies everyone.

dogdude: I was planning on picking both your brain and Rino's at training in the near future but was hoping you'd drop into this thread and give me some ideas, thanks. It was watching you guys at training on Sunday that prompted me to get a move on. Interesting that you say Oscar isn't super drivey as he looks great when he's working :laugh: and has the kind of attention I am after with my boy.

Be prepared to be interrogated in the near future :(

Excelerated learning by Pamela Reid. It is not so much a training book, but a good break down on how dogs learn.