Dumbbell Problems

Hi I am having trouble with my GSD girl ....she will not retrieve on the flat or over the jump :( she has been attacked by a border collie 3 times & now when i throw the dumbbell she will not go out & get it....sometimes with a lot of encouragement she will.....I am trialling in open she is a lovely little heeler but the dumbbell is the downfall......anyone had the same problems.....I am not taking her to where this border is anymore until I get her confidence back.....any ideas would be appreciated.....thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Hi I am having trouble with my GSD girl ....she will not retrieve on the flat or over the jump :( she has been attacked by a border collie 3 times & now when i throw the dumbbell she will not go out & get it....sometimes with a lot of encouragement she will.....I am trialling in open she is a lovely little heeler but the dumbbell is the downfall......anyone had the same problems.....I am not taking her to where this border is anymore until I get her confidence back.....any ideas would be appreciated.....thanks in advance :thumbsup:

I think taking her without the border being about is certainly a good idea, especially if it or anything makes her fearful. Is she nervy in other situations and/or.......simpy generally? Is she confident with you being her protector and leader?

Do you practice at home with no distractions and make retrieving a game. Games are fun for us and more importantly for the dog.

Start with shorter retrieves.

I use to train her with throwing t he dumbbell & making a game of it......she was fine no problems until the border :( I have nothing against borders most of the ppl I know have them......now when she sees black n white.....she doesn't take her eyes off them......when i am in the ring I am just hoping there is not one in the other ring :thumbsup: she loves balls ....but the dumbbell is not one of her favourite articles..

yes Lablover I train at home with her.....I have another GSD but he just sits & watches......he is doing UD.....I use food I always have.....but when she picks the dumbbell up she just stands there as though she just does not want to bring it back.....very frustrating

i think I will have to go back to the drawing board with the retrieving......

No shame in that. Pour yourself a nice drink, find some shade if needed and think.

Lucky we have many trees on our property for me to sit under!!!!

Have a friend video you and your dog separately and together, and watch it carefully. Over and over and over again.

Edited by Lablover

I would think you will need to start again and retrain the exercise.

Training the retrieve as a 100% fun thing can make things harder later if something like this happens. Now I am by no means saying you neeed to do a "force" retrieve, but you probably need to go back and step by step teach her all the components of the retrieve, so that if she gets upset or distracted, she can get herself back on track. At the moment, she probably can't break the exercise up in her head, so if anything goes wrong, she can't get going again.

I always back chain the retrieve. Start by getting a good take and hold on command at a sit in front. She must reach out and grab the dumbell from in front of her (but ONLY when you ask her, not because it is just in reach). She must not release it until you ask for it, no matter what you do with your hands etc. This may also help with her current fears, as she will need to be concentrating 100% on you and will be nice and close and safe to you. Lots of repetitions, lots of praise / reward. Make sure she is desperate to to this before adding distractions (non BC dog nearby, moving non BC dog nearby, BC far away, BC closer, BC moving nearby). This will also cement this presenting position in her mind, and this will become the default position she wants to be in one she has the DB in her mouth later on (get back to owner, safety and a reward!!).

Once she finds this just ever so wonderful, start to get get to pick the DB up from your feet, then gradually move it away until she has to turn to get it. Each step she has to make away from you will be hard, and you will need to proof with distractions and keep her happy and feeling safe. Add distance slowly. Then you can start having her in the start position and sending her from heel. Add the finish later. Then add in the jump once the flat retrieve is fabulous.

Anyway, thats what I would do, and have done with a dog in the past that got munched in the ring once. It took 3 months but he finally had a very happy confident retrieve regardless of who or what was around.

GOOD LUCK :(

As D4F said I would also retrain the entire excersise.

Start with taking out of your hand and holding etc, then picking it up off the ground in front of you, then a meter away etc until the confidence is back.

Is there also someone you know with a well behaved border who can just stand nearby while you are retraining the excersise and lessen her anxiety when she does see another border cos no doubt when trialling there will be borders in the same class or one of the other rings.

Good luck :wave:

My advice is to get the behavioral problem soughted first........then retrain the retrieve properly. You were on a wing and a prayer using that method anyway.

Open trail goes for much longer than novice........and nearing the end of it your dog will be less "playfull".