Clipping Claws

I need to trim Bruno's nails for the first time. They have always worn themselves down naturally, but since we moved they haven't been getting as worn down and are now long and need a trim, especially hi dew claws. The dew claws are getting to look like hooks, so I really need to chop them pronto.

The question is, I am so scared of cutting into his quick and making him bleed, how on earth do I tell how short to cut them? I trimmed them the other night but was too nervous about this and only shaved a tiny bit off the end of them, not hardly enough.

I'd prefer to do them myself rather than take him to a vet or something, as I think he'd be more comfortable with me doing it while he's laying on the couch or something.

Any advice appreciated.

I am assuming his nails are black?

Ok if you can, take a good look at them, turn them over. The under side has like a core that runs through them. When they get a bit long, that core near the end dries out, you can normally dig a little out. Dig out the dead stuff, it should just flake away. You can normally safely cut up to where that core ends, beyond that the quick is fresh and will bleed.

I used this method to teach myself how much I could cut. Now days I dont even check, I just chop, but if you are unsure this is an easy way to train your eye. If you cant get that core to loosen, then just snip off the tip, about 1/2 - 1/4 of a CM, the tip grows down to the ground, so you can cut the upper part, if that makes sense.

Yep, as Rysup said, look underneath the nail and clip until you see a while calcium ring. It is a little white circle you will see once you have clipped enough off so keep going until you see this. If you go any further the nails will most likely bleed.

Happy clipping :laugh:

I like the Dremel- grinds down the nail, instead so you have no sharp edges. I switched after hitting the quick on my dog's nails (black).

All the info you need here: http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/dob...mel/dremel.html

Even if you make a mistake with it, there is only a tiny amount of blood.

Dremel's American, made in Mexico and you pay more for the brand name. Ozito also make the same thing as a Dremel, called a "rotary tool".

Try hardware stores like Bunnings etc.

Obviously it's a heap better if you can trim their nails without making them bleed, but it's not the end of the world if one does end up bleeding. It makes you feel horrible because it does bleed a fair bit, but I don't think it really bothers the dog too much. A bit of flour stops the bleeding quickly.

You could always cut a tiny bit off and file the rest down whilst Brunos on the couch with you?