Adolescence And 2nd Fear Stage

StaceyB

Well, it's finally happened. Gypsy has hit adolescence! She is not interested in any of her toys and has decided it's much more fun to shred the washing/pegs/hose etc... She is also starting to get up on the couch and bed without an invitation and has been really stuborn about getting off and going to bed.

But this vent is really about OH! He doesn't seem to get it. I try to explain that she is just going through a normal stage in her development and that she'll grow out of it. But the worst part is that she also seems to have hit a second fear stage, whenever she gets in trouble she runs away trembling or wets herself. OH gets frustrated with her and yells and of course she just gets terrified. I try to tell him not to rasie his voice and just be firm with her, but then he gets pi$$ed at me saying i'm being to soft on her.

I don't think I'm being soft at all, she still gets in trouble and still gets 'Time Out" and a firm "No" when she is naughty, but I try no to yell at her because she just goes to pieces and I don't want to make her scared of us. I'm also going to start obedience training next week when the dog club starts back up again. I have aslo bought some new toys to try and stimulate her and been hiding treats around the yard for her to find.

Don't stress about it too much, she'll grow out of it. My pup went through a fear stage where she was terrified of anything moving - eg. bikes, kids on scooters, lawn mowers, elderly people on electric scooters etc and would pull on the lead to try to get away from them. But it seems sometime in the past couple of weeks she's out grown that and is now happy to try to chase kids on bikes!

Just keep being firm with her, especially if she's jumping up on furniture when she's not allowed.

Tell your OH that if he wants a dog that's permanently shit scared of him, he's on the right track.

Negative experiences in the second fear stage can last for life.

What is she getting in trouble for? Is it for things that some training or foresight can prevent?

It's mostly just general destructive behaviour in the back yard (i.e starting to pull washing off the clothes line, chewing hoses & sprinklers), I have bought her some new toys and I scatter treat around the yard for her to find, but I think she's doing this because she's bored. Also, she is allowed on the couch and the bed, but not without an invitation and she has to get off as soon as she is told to. She has been really good until now, she sneaks up on the furniture and then just takes her time about getting off when she's told, and she refuses to go to her bed when she is told.

As far as the washing and hose/sprinkler goes I have just been a bit more vigilant about leaving Gypsy outside while the washing is drying and making sure the hose gets put away properly.

And the furniture thing is I think more "pushing the boundaries" type behaviour, which the training we are starting next week should help with as far as re-iterating that I am the boss, not her.

Thanks guys, I know she'll grow out of it, but OH just can't get his head around it - must be because his head is stuck up his ass when I try to explain it to him so he can't hear properly! :o

StaceyB, i know exactly what you are going through... my OH is the same and I get frustrated also...

With my now 19mo, well, he went through an incredibly destructive stage... we went through 3-4 hoses, clothes got pulled off the line, and we had our reticulation dug up. OH thought that there was something wrong with him. I tended to just persevere and reiterated that he was going through his "teens' and htat he would grow out of it...

a few months on and he did, and OH likes the fact that he is calm and gentle without being fearful. Sometimes, with some OH's, if they just don't get it, IGNORE them complaining, tell them when they are in the wrong, and then prove you are right by showing how your techniques work better...

It's mostly just general destructive behaviour in the back yard (i.e starting to pull washing off the clothes line, chewing hoses & sprinklers), I have bought her some new toys and I scatter treat around the yard for her to find, but I think she's doing this because she's bored. Also, she is allowed on the couch and the bed, but not without an invitation and she has to get off as soon as she is told to. She has been really good until now, she sneaks up on the furniture and then just takes her time about getting off when she's told, and she refuses to go to her bed when she is told.

As far as the washing and hose/sprinkler goes I have just been a bit more vigilant about leaving Gypsy outside while the washing is drying and making sure the hose gets put away properly.

And the furniture thing is I think more "pushing the boundaries" type behaviour, which the training we are starting next week should help with as far as re-iterating that I am the boss, not her.

Thanks guys, I know she'll grow out of it, but OH just can't get his head around it - must be because his head is stuck up his ass when I try to explain it to him so he can't hear properly! :o

How much exercise and training is your pup getting Stacey. How old is she?

Gypsy has just hit 9 months. I take her to the park for a run around most mornings (usually 3 or 4 out of 5 weekdays) and I try to have a good play after dinner for about 1/2 an hour. We went to puppy school when she was a baby, but thats about it as far as formal training. I do maybe 5-10 mins getting her to sit, drop, shake hands on a daily basis.

Gypsy has just hit 9 months. I take her to the park for a run around most mornings (usually 3 or 4 out of 5 weekdays) and I try to have a good play after dinner for about 1/2 an hour. We went to puppy school when she was a baby, but thats about it as far as formal training. I do maybe 5-10 mins getting her to sit, drop, shake hands on a daily basis.

It sounds to me like a lot of this unwanted behaviour is probably boredom related StaceyB. I'd highly recommend you up the training if you can.

It doesn't have to be 'obedience' stuff - tricks etc will challenge and exercise that brain.

Willow is in this stage too stacey :laugh:

Yesterday, she got a walk in the morning with the ex, lots of attention all day as she isnt working atm, then another HUGE walk at night. She was so stuffed she passed out for 2 hours!!! lol.

Anyway, i was up late as usual, went outside about midnight, and what do i see? .......

grr.jpg

guess we forgot to put the toilet paper away properly after shopping yesterday!

I tell the ex the same thing, she will grow out of it, etc, shes not TOO bad about it, after a brief blowup. We teach her all kinds of tricks too. She now has sit, stay, drop, shake, high 10 in her bag, guess its time to find something else :o Hard to teach her recall when by myself though.

Oh well, obedience should start soon, that should occupy her mind.

Haha! Thats funny Kobayashi, exactly the type if thing I find in my yard. I never realised the sheer volume of fluff that can come out of a queen size quilt!! And Gyps has ripped all the bedding in her kennel up - not gonna replace it till winter (she sleeps inside anyway).

Haha! Thats funny Kobayashi, exactly the type if thing I find in my yard. I never realised the sheer volume of fluff that can come out of a queen size quilt!! And Gyps has ripped all the bedding in her kennel up - not gonna replace it till winter (she sleeps inside anyway).

My beagle pup did that to her bed too, then fell asleep innocently in the middle of the mess. She's been sleeping on a towel in her kennel or on her trampoline bed since, she doesn't get a new bed till weather gets colder!

It sounds to me like a lot of this unwanted behaviour is probably boredom related StaceyB. I'd highly recommend you up the training if you can.

It doesn't have to be 'obedience' stuff - tricks etc will challenge and exercise that brain.

I'd like to add she could probably use more exercise as well as training. Hiring a dog walker for when you dont have time is usually a good option.

Kobayshi : :( oh Dear god! Its amazing how much mess they manage to make out of something isnt it :thumbsup: My aunts JRT actually used to run into the bathroom, grab the bottom of the toilet roll, and then have a grand time running all over the house with it. hahaha

Hi. I'm no expert, but just a couple of thoughts. I agree with poodlefan about the exercise etc. at 9 months dogs need a fair bit of fun/play and general running around to be worn out. Not just neccessarily long walks (may harm their bones etc.)

I dont' really think you can tell a dog off for chewing, destroying something you have left 'available'. It's up to the family to make sure there is nothing around that is handy for the dog to destroy.(aimed at OH)

I was wondering if you use treats/rewards with training? My girls are crated at night and run madly to their beds every evening as they get a bedtime bickie!! I also am very quiet etc. about it, no excitement or fuss. They need a calm environment when going to bed. With the couch etc. if she is only allowed up when invited, make sure that this is very consistent. This means EVERY single time she gets up without an invite, she is told OFF once! and GENTLY forced off and not allowed back up. There is no need for lots of yelling and punishment, just more communication. You can teach her OFF with a treat. too if you want to. When she does get off tell her how good she is etc. even if she had to be pushed off at first. Then she realises what you want her to do.

I can imagine how frustrating it is for you with OH!! My pup is very destructive (she's 1). We are lucky that we are home most of the time but she is crated when we are not here. She digs, eats furniture (and anything else going!!) and gets lots of exercise, attention etc. With us it's "Out of sight=in TROUBLE!!" :( She has improved a lot and I'm sure yours will too. At the time it just seems a LONG period. Good luck and try to get OHs head out of his arse!! :):love: