Treat Pouches

Levi

I currently have a treat pouch for training my pup but it has a draw string to close. This was fine until I am now running around as much as her during training and the treats come out. If I draw the string it takes too long to get the treats out.

I am considering getting a BlackDog treat pouch - does anyone have one? What is your opinion of them?

I have the Blackdog medium one as well and I love it too. The only problem I had with it was the hinge on the inside would occasionally scratch my hand, but once I put the additional sock that you can buy for it in their I had no more problems :)

Edited to add I found an Ebay site that has the Gentle Leader ones here

Edited by Weimlover

Black Dog with the inner pouch here too & I think it's great. Worth the money.

I bought a cheap one (don't know what brand) for Dagboy from someone at a stall at Mary Ray & the pin on 1 side that makes the top open & shut keeps falling out on him :) .

I have a black dog one too and they are great. I had an old style bum bag but eveything falls out of it and it was always folding over on its self. I found that the glad snap lock bags in the sandwich size fits in the black dog bags just great and if I don't use all my treats I just reseal the bag and pop it back in the fridge. A lot cheaper than the black dog liners too.

I have used various treat bags when training my GSD's and Goldie, but found in a trial situation my Goldie soon figured out "no treat bag = no treats" and therefore not much incentive to work :laugh: . I have now purchased a denim vest with huge pockets (big enough to carry treats or squeaky toy) and can wear it in the ring as well (minus the treats of course :) ). This way he has no idea whether I have treats on me or not :) .

The advantage to wearing this vest is that he knows it's time to work, in fact all three of them do :laugh: . They get very excited when they see me pulling THE VEST out of the cupboard.

Edited by gsdog2

I have a black dog one too and they are great. I had an old style bum bag but eveything falls out of it and it was always folding over on its self. I found that the glad snap lock bags in the sandwich size fits in the black dog bags just great and if I don't use all my treats I just reseal the bag and pop it back in the fridge. A lot cheaper than the black dog liners too.

I have a black dog bag too and also use snap lock bags inside. I did see the liner socks but they're about half the price of the bag and you have to wash them! So much easier using snap lock bags.

Only problem is that my cheeky beagle sometimes manages to stick her whole head into the bag if I bend down since it stays open!

I have used various treat bags when training my GSD's and Goldie, but found in a trial situation my Goldie soon figured out "no treat bag = no treats" and therefore not much incentive to work :laugh: . I have now purchased a denim vest with huge pockets (big enough to carry treats or squeaky toy) and can wear it in the ring as well (minus the treats of course :) ). This way he has no idea whether I have treats on me or not :) .

The advantage to wearing this vest is that he knows it's time to work, in fact all three of them do :laugh: . They get very excited when they see me pulling THE VEST out of the cupboard.

I have a veste too. It's a veste we wear in Germany for the Schutzhund training but also for hunting and fishing. I has heaps of pockets for treats, poo bags and even clips to put the leash thru (in Germany it can be too cold to hold the leash). It also has a pocket on the back where I put my dog's fav tug of war toy.

post-18186-1201651022_thumb.jpg

I used to have a cheap vinyl treat bag, that attached with a safety pin and had velcro to keep closed and keep treats in. I loved it. Could wear it with anything, the dogs knew the velcro sound and sometimes in the ring I just opened the velcro to make the sound and they would stand up really well, especially when judge was just about to look or walk down the line.

Sadly the dogs ate that one. So just this weekend went out and bought a black dog treat pouch and had the thing fall off the waistband of my trousers while in the ring. I wasn't impressed, paid $18.95 where with the cheap ones paid about $6.00. The thing that holds onto your skirt or trousers keeps coming off the bag!!!

I actually just try to wear pants with pockets now, or a jacket with pockets, much easier. I will keep my out for the cheap vinyl one though or will probably make a couple myself!

I have a few treat pouches but dont really like any of them. They dangle around too much, food comes out sometimes etc so I prefer to use a vest with deep zippered pockets :) I also wear a vest in the ring so training and trialling are the same sort of attire.

Edited by BC

Sadly the dogs ate that one. So just this weekend went out and bought a black dog treat pouch and had the thing fall off the waistband of my trousers while in the ring. I wasn't impressed, paid $18.95 where with the cheap ones paid about $6.00. The thing that holds onto your skirt or trousers keeps coming off the bag!!!

I actually just try to wear pants with pockets now, or a jacket with pockets, much easier. I will keep my out for the cheap vinyl one though or will probably make a couple myself!

I bought the Blackdog mini treat bag to use when showing as well and had the same problem - the clip thingy falls off. I have used it just once and decded it was too much hassle so now make sure I have pockets.

When doing obedience and agility though I used to like the Terry Ryan treat bag - have had mine for years now. I also had a Blackdog 1 that I got ages ago and the clasp broke after only a few uses. I was told he had a problem with them for awhile and the new 1s are fine, I got mine probably 4 years ago now so am sure it is sorted out now given the number of people that use and recomend them.

I bought the Blackdog mini treat bag to use when showing as well and had the same problem - the clip thingy falls off. I have used it just once and decded it was too much hassle so now make sure I have pockets.

When doing obedience and agility though I used to like the Terry Ryan treat bag - have had mine for years now. I also had a Blackdog 1 that I got ages ago and the clasp broke after only a few uses. I was told he had a problem with them for awhile and the new 1s are fine, I got mine probably 4 years ago now so am sure it is sorted out now given the number of people that use and recomend them.

I would send them back. I have had a lead that the dog ate replaced from Black dog.

The only 2 problems I have had with my blackdog pouch is the dog ate one and my OH has pinched the spare.

So will be buying a new one this year!!!!!

I have used various treat bags when training my GSD's and Goldie, but found in a trial situation my Goldie soon figured out "no treat bag = no treats" and therefore not much incentive to work :laugh: . I have now purchased a denim vest with huge pockets (big enough to carry treats or squeaky toy) and can wear it in the ring as well (minus the treats of course :o ). This way he has no idea whether I have treats on me or not :) .

The advantage to wearing this vest is that he knows it's time to work, in fact all three of them do :) . They get very excited when they see me pulling THE VEST out of the cupboard.

I have a veste too. It's a veste we wear in Germany for the Schutzhund training but also for hunting and fishing. I has heaps of pockets for treats, poo bags and even clips to put the leash thru (in Germany it can be too cold to hold the leash). It also has a pocket on the back where I put my dog's fav tug of war toy.

I looked at that one - actually it's OH's fishing vest :D . I wonder if you're allowed to wear it in the ring? If anyone know's if it is allowed in the obedience ring I'd love to know.

I used to have a cheap vinyl treat bag, that attached with a safety pin and had velcro to keep closed and keep treats in. I loved it. Could wear it with anything, the dogs knew the velcro sound and sometimes in the ring I just opened the velcro to make the sound and they would stand up really well, especially when judge was just about to look or walk down the line.

The regular sized ones are attached to an adjustable belt strap so you don't have to clip it to your waistband.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I bought a black dog mini pouch as I only have a small dog and the next size up is huge. I also found that with the larger ones they are really tight to open.

The clip on the mini one is sewn on so I don't know how that could come off but the pouch did keep falling off. I will get an old bum bag or belt and thread it through the pouch to stop it falling off. I did find it fairly easy to use.

Black dog are great if you have a problem with their products

I emailed them to tell them that the lining on my treat bag inner had started p[eeling off and they rang me and asked a few questions about what it was doing and sent me a new one. They were really nice

Black dog are great if you have a problem with their products

I emailed them to tell them that the lining on my treat bag inner had started p[eeling off and they rang me and asked a few questions about what it was doing and sent me a new one. They were really nice

I've got two black dog ones - medium, they are great. The black dog people are also excellent to deal with, I've never had a problem, but they've been really helpful organising flyball harnesses and once when an order went 'missing' they were prepared to send me another complete order if it didn't turn up. Turns out the builder moved it to somewhere that we'd never have found it so they didn't have to, but the offer was there!