Food Aggresive Great Dane Pup

Mrs Johno

hi i have a great dane pup who is about 16 weeks old and have noticed in the last week he is becoming food aggresive, he will lay with his front legs on either side of his bowl and if anyone comes near his he tenses ready to snap, he lunged at my nearly 3 yo son this morning, he is an only dog atm so has no reason to be food aggresive as no one takes his food etc

any suggestions? i have scolded him and put my hands and feet in his bowl to let him see im not gunna take it, he knows im the boss but im worried at 16 weeks he is nearly taller then my son already, and yes i did research the breed and new what i was in for when i got a dane, i can honestly say this is new to me i have always had dogs of many different breeds and have never had one with food issues

Both my dogs went through a stage as puppies when they would growl if I took their food off them. You need to teach him that this is not tolerated. Firstly I would take your three y.o. well out of the way.

What I would do:

- Put his food down and let him start eating

- Take his bowl away calmly and hold it in your hand

- Ask him to sit, if he sits and doesn't growl give his food back

I would try this a few times per meal

If he doesn't stop growling put his food away and try again next meal time.

This is using the Nilif program of nothing in life is free and is fantastic for showing he only gets the food when he behaves.

I'm not sure whether to introduce you 3 y.o. back into the equation. Someone else will have a better idea of this.

Food guarding can become a big issue if you let it go but is simple to stop if you nip it in the bud. You control the food so therefore you control the growling

Have fun :o

What I would do:

- Put his food down and let him start eating

- Take his bowl away calmly and hold it in your hand

- Ask him to sit, if he sits and doesn't growl give his food back

I would try this a few times per meal

If he doesn't stop growling put his food away and try again next meal time.

I would be a bit careful with this that you don't teach him to be more protective of his food as it may get taken and not given back especially with a small child in the house.

I do something similar with all my dogs, but the sit has to come before the food is given. When I take the bowl I put some better food in it, even if it is only a taste and then give it back. They learn that you taking away food is not necessarliy bad.

As danes are prone to bloat wouldn't you be better feeding him off the ground at chest height ?

The first rule is your son SHOULDNT be near the dog when feeding.

Something has happened if you say he has suddenly changed & being an only dog doesnt mean it shouldnt happen,actions of people can create food protecting just as easily & if not worse than having another dog around.

Having said that there is no excuse for food aggression but in our house feed time is done quietly & quickly with no interfereance & we can take any bowl away from the 15 dogs .

We do not interefere with there eating BUT they learn through other avenues what respect for food is.Not snatching,rewards for show training/obedience.

They understand snatching/stealing is not acceptable but they never feel the need to as food time is a calm non threatening time in our house.

We feed all our large breeds on stands ,yes there is alot of info for the pros/cons of bloat feeding this way but we have yet to see a report that seriously proves it increases it any more than bad management prior to meal time,

Also having a large breed pups we find it is less stressful on there front joints,chasing a bowl around & basically having difficulties eating.

Your pup needs his meal time to be without distractions but he can also earn it by sitting/standing/shaking hands/drop anything that requires him to obey you & in return he gets his meal or treat & he also need sto start obedience .

The dog has no idea why you are putting your hands & fett in the bowl.He got told off you did your bit but the dog learnt nothing except maybe to protect his bowl more.

Its not a case of battle of will but a case of teaching your dog nothing comes free & with reward & a job he will successfully get something

Actually I'm not a fan of the 'put hands in bowl/take food away and give it then give it back' methods, sometimes they create more problems than they solve and the dog becomes even more possessive of its food. I do agree with settrlvr when she says that your son shouldn't be hanging around when the dog is eating, every dog has the right to eat its meal in peace and shouldn't be hassled by either kids, cats or other dogs. All my dogs are crated when they eat.

Start your dog on the Triangle of Temptation which is pinned at the top of the Training Forum, it seems complicated when you start, but it's easy once you've done it a few times. I used TOT for one of my young dogs who was beginning to be a bit of a handful and it made a huge difference in his behaviour in a very short time, I can't recommend it highly enough. However you must persevere with it, the dog remains on the program for the rest of its life.

Start him on TOT and any food aggression issues should soon disappear.

hi i have a great dane pup who is about 16 weeks old and have noticed in the last week he is becoming food aggresive, he will lay with his front legs on either side of his bowl and if anyone comes near his he tenses ready to snap, he lunged at my nearly 3 yo son this morning, he is an only dog atm so has no reason to be food aggresive as no one takes his food etc

any suggestions? i have scolded him and put my hands and feet in his bowl to let him see im not gunna take it, he knows im the boss but im worried at 16 weeks he is nearly taller then my son already, and yes i did research the breed and new what i was in for when i got a dane, i can honestly say this is new to me i have always had dogs of many different breeds and have never had one with food issues

Sorry to hear about your problems. Food aggression isn't breed related so don't worry in that aspect. Great Danes if well bred are lovely dogs just like other breeds :)

There is a Dane Thread on this forum that you may like to pop into: http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...&start=9915

I would highly reccomend the TOT feeding program: http://www.k9force.net/index.html?row2col2=tot.html

Your puppy could have entered the Rank & Shaping period, you can read more about it here: http://www.k9force.net/index.html?row2col2=develop.html

My general feeling is that dogs should be able to eat in peace but you should be able to go near them when eating.

You don't have to have another dog for food aggression to set in.

I would not be taking the bowl away from the dog, to me that is bullying and that is not what a leader is.

You maybe interested in putting in place the NILIF method, your son maybe able to do parts of it as well under your supervision: http://www.k9force.net/index.html?row2col2=nilif.html

Edited by sas

I can't recommend Triangle of Temptation enough! http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=64101

It takes a while to work out exactly what to do- I printed it out and went thru it without dog to start- and it must be done exactly per program to get the right results.

Start TOT and NILIF (Nothing in life is free).

If you have ongoing problems ask back on DOL for a referral to a good trainer or behaviourist.

It might seem expensive, but the alternative is to PTS if your dog seriously bites someone :D .

If the dog had a life-threatening disease, you'd take them to the vet? Seeing a trainer/ behaviourist is the same!

Best to get a recommendation, though.

You're quite right to be concerned about your son- supervise, supervise, supervise. Put dog in a confined area when you can't supervise.

Best wishes, danes are beautiful dogs.

just to add .....

This doesn't mean your dog is vicious or dominant.

Apparently my avatar standard poodle became food aggressive during a short stay with his breeder.

Being an experienced dog person, she got on top of it straight away- it's not behaviour to be tolerated in any dog.

BTW, he's the most affectionate, relaxed dog who's much more on the submissive side.

i have had owners who were told to take their pups food away,give it back etc and they became food aggressive.dogs do not need to be stood over,near,patted,food played with etc-and no child should ever be left with a dog that is eating,EVER!!!by all means teach them to sit and wait until they are released to eat,but otherwise,feed them in a secure area with no interference.and yes,i have dogs that are very possessive with food,but i can if necessary take it off them,i have had to take a half eaten possum from one,but i gave him something tastier in return.