Photos Of Black Dogs

Collie_lover

I have been having this problem when taking photos of black dogs. The colour seems really washed out, or over-exposed. Does anyone know why this is happening? I am shooting on auto settings.

Thanks!

Read the thread lower down on a good photography book. Find a copy of "Understanding Exposure". Grab a copy and read it, and all will become clear. Seriously, a lot of what a good image is about is balancing the lights and darks. That's why only capable photographers do weddings, where the dark suit of the groom, the white bridal gown, and the light or dark (in church) background need to be shown in detail, without over-blowing highlights. It is an excellent book and puts it all down very understandably. A look at this book is worth a hundred fuzzy explanations on a forum.

You don't need an expensive dslr outfit to make exposure work for you: the most basic point-and-shoot cameras still use the same principles.

(I couldn't connect to your Smugmug gallery - are you still there?)

Edited by PossumCorner

I have been having this problem when taking photos of black dogs. The colour seems really washed out, or over-exposed. Does anyone know why this is happening? I am shooting on auto settings.

Thanks!

Read the thread lower down on a good photography book. Find a copy of "Understanding Exposure". Grab a copy and read it, and all will become clear. Seriously, a lot of what a good image is about is balancing the lights and darks. That's why only capable photographers do weddings, where the dark suit of the groom, the white bridal gown, and the light or dark (in church) background need to be shown in detail, without over-blowing highlights. It is an excellent book and puts it all down very understandably. A look at this book is worth a hundred fuzzy explanations on a forum.

You don't need an expensive dslr outfit to make exposure work for you: the most basic point-and-shoot cameras still use the same principles.

(I couldn't connect to your Smugmug gallery - are you still there?)

Hi Possum!

Thanks for the info, I may have to get a copy of that book... there is so much to learn!

I have the D80 nikon SLR, so it's not a cheap camera. I swear though when i first bought it, it took alot of "click and delete" before i started getting photos that i felt were good enough.

i still have my smugmug: http://k-tanner.smugmug.com/

Thanks

Katie

I just had a look at your Melbourne Show photos and none of the black dogs

look "grey" to me so what has happened between the Royal and now?

Ah yes, i get the odd one that turns out ok but the magority look terrible. I only got one nice one of that black standard poodle because all the rest had terrible colour and even then i think the colour isnt perfect. I did some photos for someone not long ago and I took about 30 photos, only 4 came out that were acceptable. I am booked to do some photos for a friend this weekend and they have a black dog, ahhh, lol.

That photo is the first post is way too light overall. It's better is the dog is a little on the dark side and you usethe 'highlight' tool in photoshop to lighten the dark areas without blowing out the light areas.

To take pics of black dogs is hard and you need to have them well lit from the right angles - so earlier in the day or later in the afternoon when you have longer shadows on the ground once the sun goes closer to overhead the dark shadowed areas of the dog will lose detail.