Skin Condition On A Hairy Dog

Some people believe that commercially prepared pet food with all it's cereal fillers, preservatives and COOKED meat causes health problems in dogs.

I would be very surprised if you fed your dog raw lamb and veges and the above supplements for 3 - 4 months that you'd have the problems you have now. If he's been on antibiotics you will need to make sure he has probiotics like inner health or yakult for quite a while to replenish the good bacteria in his digestive system.

Thank you, I will give it a try. I am not sure what you mean by probiotics or yakult. But I always used to give my babies natural yougurt. Is that the same?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wendy, also try giving him a dash of aloe vera juice (the 100% stuff - you can get it in health food stores, and even woolies) mixed in with his food. Add cloudy apple cider vinegar too - again, just a splash, doesn't have to be an exact amount to the ml.

I'd be whacking him on handmade BARF stuff as well, but if you really need to continue on kibble, there's a place called Horse and Hound (I think) near Palmerston or Coolalinga, can't remember which. They are the only place I think that has Royal Canin, apart from Pets Village (but they sell pups and kittens so I won't go there on principle).

Top Pets are good, but they only sell Euk and Science Diet, neither of which are that great.

You can also put aloe vera gel a few times a day on the sore spots - he may lick it off, but that's no real drama.

As for shampoo, maybe try a medicated one like Aloveen or Maleseb? Apple cider vinegar as a rinse after shampooing (regardless of the shampoo you use) will also ensure all the soap suds are out of his coat.

Good luck, he's a lovely boy.

Wendy, also try giving him a dash of aloe vera juice (the 100% stuff - you can get it in health food stores, and even woolies) I am alergic to aloe vera. mixed in with his food. Add cloudy apple cider vinegar too - again, just a splash, doesn't have to be an exact amount to the ml.

I'd be whacking him on handmade BARF What the hell is BARF? stuff as well, but if you really need to continue on kibble, there's a place called Horse and Hound (I think) near Palmerston or Coolalinga, can't remember which. They are at Coolalinga. They are the only place I think that has Royal Canin, apart from Pets Village (but they sell pups and kittens so I won't go there on principle).

Top Pets are good, but they only sell Euk and Science Diet, neither of which are that great.

You can also put aloe vera gel a few times a day on the sore spots - he may lick it off, but that's no real drama.

As for shampoo, maybe try a medicated one like Aloveen or Maleseb? Maleseb just killed his coat, I am convinced it is not his shampoo. Apple cider vinegar as a rinse after shampooing (regardless of the shampoo you use) will also ensure all the soap suds are out of his coat.

Good luck, he's a lovely boy. Thank you, he is a wonderful person, PS No screaming tonight when I brushed him, just a great relutance to be brushed. Poor little man, he used to love being brushed. :)

Also consider ProPlan Sensitive - it's based on salmon and i've seen some great results with problematic dogs.

Also wondering if zinc powder (or the slightly more expensive version, curash) on the sores might be worth a shot? it's white powder so won't be noticed in his coat - but will dry out the spot and help the healing process along...

BARF - is biologically appropriate raw food...basically raw meaty bones and soe vegies and offal :) Just search within DOL or google it for more info on BARF then you could read in a month :)

With this many issues, if the raw diet or a better kibble doesn't work, I"d be ringing a holistic vet down south (eg. Sydney) and getting some advice. They do phone consults all the time and can work with your current vet.

Constant use of steroidal products (eg. Prednisone) leads to thining of the skin and can exacerbate these issues.

Personally, I don't think you are going to find a magic bullet for this. However a carefully researched raw diet with NO CEREALs an the use of good quality, non-detergent based shampoo won't hurt and might help.

Wendysdarwin "He has a 'staff' infection"

= staphylococcus bacterial infection

Found on most healthy skin in small amounts, but once it gets into open wounds can multiply and get out of control.

Ok, staff is very contagious, once an irritation sets in they scratch it, then it gets in between the toes and on the claws they scratch again, do more damage and spread it everywhere. Once it is that prevalent it will just get into any little surface wound and stop it healing.

Sorry, not very impressed with your vet.

There is an off-the-shelf product called Medicreme (for humans), most Chemists stock it, it contains Chlorhexidine similar to Savlon, but also contains a nice little bit of Lignocaine, which helps numb the irritation a bit and help stop the scratching.

Inspect your dogs claws and between toes very carefully for more infection, as well as the ears.

IT IS ESSENTIAL YOU ALWAYS WASH YOUR HANDS AFTER APPLYING CREAMS OR TOUCHING THE SORES ON YOUR DOG, and also beforehand, you may even need to consider wearing rubber gloves when touching the skin until the infection is getting under control, also disinfect or replace all the brushes you are using, these too will be spreading the "staph infection" bacteria around.

I would also recommend using a clean Cotton Bud or swab to apply to each area of skin damage, ensuring you are not carrying the infection from one sore to another, and avoid all contact with your bare hands.

Alternatively provided your dog does not have plant or bee allergies, you could try Manuka Honey, you need to get the one with the active ingredients, Woolworths keeps it in the health food section. Chemists also stock a form of it, but the raw honey is better and just as good. This might get a bit sticky on a hairy dog, so maybe the day before its due to be washed.

Hopefully this along with the other health and diet advice will help your dog.

Edited by InDogWeTrust

With Dante we do:

1 x Inner Healt Tablet - powder on his food

1 x Zinc Tablet

2 x Vit C 500 Tablets

1 x Milk Thistle Tablet (2 months on then 2 months off)

He's on Eukanuba Sensitive Skin (Salmon)

He's on Cortisone as well *sigh*

Also on Anto-biotics due to a secondary skin infection thanks to the current humidity.

We're now on our 3rd different type of Holistic Treatment after trying a range of Vet Medicated Shampoos. If this one doesn't yeild results, we're going to try the Evening Primose Shampoo and Food Supplement, lots of good reports about it.

Dante is still on Kibble as he's still in his critical growth period.....nearly out of it thank goodness so we can feed BARF.

Edited by sas

Sas, I read somewhere that Zinc toxicity can build up in dogs?

http://www.dogicuts.com/index_files/toxic.htm

Dietary zinc is an important mineral, but its normal concentrations in the canine diet are very low, about 80 to 120 parts per million on a dry weight basis. The large amounts found in pennies, zinc-coated objects, and topical medications like zinc oxide cause acute zinc toxicity in dogs, leading to gastroenteritis, hemolytic anemia, inflammation, and possible necrosis (destruction of tissue) of the liver, kidney, and pancreas.

The symptoms of zinc toxicosis can be confused with acute gastrointestinal episodes because the patient may be uninterested in food or lethargic while vomiting and having diarrhea, either of which may be bloody. The swallowed object may not be visible in X-rays depending on its size, whether the dog vomited the object or passed it in feces, and its consistency. Zinc-medicated ointments and shampoos aren’t visible in X-rays the way pennies are.

Edited by InDogWeTrust

I am sure in Darwin you have pet supply stores that have premium kibbles available. Maybe PM papylove as to what she knows in terms of foods available in Darwin. She has a papillon.

And as for the brush when you put in your order with Lynda get a brush from her. There are lots on her website to choose from.

Sadly, we don't have any pet stores that

a) don't sell pups

b) carry genuine super premium foods

The best I've found is Royal Canin and Nutrience. No EP...

Oh, PP has Innova EVO (when I last checked, the small bag was six months out of date, the large bag over a year out of date). :) And California Natural of course, also by Innova.

Wendy, I'd suggest stopping the processed foods altogether. Try a bland raw diet. Andy's skin must be very sore ATM poor lad. ;) If you can, source human grade meat and bones rather than pet grade. I'd suggest lamb neck rosettes and other lamb parts and only lamb to see if he improves at all. Try contacting Robert McDowell

Robert McDowell for his assistance. I swear by his skin allergy and blood purifying treatments for Ruby who has severe airborne allergies (well, they're not diet-related so we can only assume that she reacts to air-borne and/or substances she comes into contact with)...she's a different dog! :)

To the DOLer who suggested showing him as a hairless, the Darwin dog show world is VERY small and everyone knows everyone and their dogs. It's not possible to 'cheat' in such a way.

edit b/c I originally suggested chicken but that causes Andy digestive upsets...

Edited by lillysmum

Chicken intolerance is becoming more common with dogs - and many kibbles and treats use chicken fat which may or may not be enough to cause a reaction - so be careful to check kibble ingredients :)

Do you know if he is allergic/intolerant of any other particular protien sources? eg Turkey/duck/beef/lamb - beef is another one that many are allergic/intolerant to.

If its staph what meds has the vet prescribed??

We have had 2 dogs with staph,a Kerry Blue who after 4 months of high dose meds cleared up & we also had an old girl who recently had to be PTS who had a tumour that was then invaded with Golden Staph,she alsorequired certain meds & we also used a naturopath who made up a good natural potion BUT you need to now exactly what your dealing with & work in with both.

What exactly has your vet treated the dog with??

If the dog has open sores then you certainly need to ensure that when bathed you dry the coat fully,not allow it to stay damp .

Ask the other exhibitors what they use in darwin ,there are certainly people up there that travel about & would have good brushes

I've shown an mod hairless... your guy is obviously a PP. There isn't that much difference between a PP and a hairy hairless. Can you shave him off and show him as a hairless?

Would that be ethical? I bet it would piss off the owners of the genuine hairless dogs.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about CC's so it's a question, not an accusation.

There are some that show clipped of powder puffs but apperantly it is easy to tell as there is a differenece in the way there molars sit or something similiar.

We did ask a breeder who showed us the mouth of both varieties so we could see the difference as friends who are toy judges informed us of how to tell but seeing it was very interesting

I've shown an mod hairless... your guy is obviously a PP. There isn't that much difference between a PP and a hairy hairless. Can you shave him off and show him as a hairless?

Would that be ethical? I bet it would piss off the owners of the genuine hairless dogs.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about CC's so it's a question, not an accusation.

I honestly don't know. I do know that some hairy hairless when fully grown don't look too much different to a PP. But I have no idea as to the ethics etc.

Cav there are three different levels of hairiness or "hairlessness" (aside from the PP).

This website shows the three different types. You can see the the hairy hairless crestie is totally covered in hair and requires a lot of shaving!

http://www.crestars.com/grooming.htm

I am sure in Darwin you have pet supply stores that have premium kibbles available. Maybe PM papylove as to what she knows in terms of foods available in Darwin. She has a papillon.

And as for the brush when you put in your order with Lynda get a brush from her. There are lots on her website to choose from.

a) don't sell pups

Oh, PP has Innova EVO (when I last checked, the small bag was six months out of date, the large bag over a year out of date). :confused: And California Natural of course, also by Innova.

Wendy, I'd suggest stopping the processed foods altogether. Try a bland raw diet. Andy's skin must be very sore ATM poor lad. :o If you can, source human grade meat and bones rather than pet grade. I'd suggest lamb neck rosettes and other lamb parts and only lamb to see if he improves at all. Try contacting Robert McDowell

Robert McDowell for his assistance. I swear by his skin allergy and blood purifying treatments for Ruby who has severe airborne allergies (well, they're not diet-related so we can only assume that she reacts to air-borne and/or substances she comes into contact with)...she's a different dog! :o

To the DOLer who suggested showing him as a hairless, the Darwin dog show world is VERY small and everyone knows everyone and their dogs. It's not possible to 'cheat' in such a way.

edit b/c I originally suggested chicken but that causes Andy digestive upsets...

Hi ya Lillysmum. I have tried ALL OF THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF DIET for my man. Yes you are right, his skin is really touchy at the moment. I am convinced it is not diet related. If it was, it would be all over his body, but it is only on the parts of his body that do not have lots of hair. This last vet, (NOW - the fourth) Has agreed with me it is an air borne. I am totally sick of him being on anti biotics and steriods. He is now CONSTANTLY PANTING. It is only 32??? I reckon the steriods have increased his body temp. Who and what is Robert McDowell? Almost at the giving up stage. He is still ok, but no longer the fully attentive man I know and love. I spect he is getting sicker by the day.

I agree about the change of PP to Hairless, really can't be done in Darwin. I still think that something is biting him and he is allergic to whatever it is.

a) don't sell pups

Oh, PP has Innova EVO (when I last checked, the small bag was six months out of date, the large bag over a year out of date). :confused: And California Natural of course, also by Innova.

Wendy, I'd suggest stopping the processed foods altogether. Try a bland raw diet. Andy's skin must be very sore ATM poor lad. :o If you can, source human grade meat and bones rather than pet grade. I'd suggest lamb neck rosettes and other lamb parts and only lamb to see if he improves at all. Try contacting Robert McDowell

Robert McDowell for his assistance. I swear by his skin allergy and blood purifying treatments for Ruby who has severe airborne allergies (well, they're not diet-related so we can only assume that she reacts to air-borne and/or substances she comes into contact with)...she's a different dog! :o

Hi ya Lillysmum. I have tried ALL OF THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF DIET for my man. Yes you are right, his skin is really touchy at the moment. I am convinced it is not diet related. If it was, it would be all over his body, but it is only on the parts of his body that do not have lots of hair. This last vet, (NOW - the fourth) Has agreed with me it is an air borne. I am totally sick of him being on anti biotics and steriods. He is now CONSTANTLY PANTING. It is only 32??? I reckon the steriods have increased his body temp. Who and what is Robert McDowell? Almost at the giving up stage. He is still ok, but no longer the fully attentive man I know and love. I spect he is getting sicker by the day.

I agree about the change of PP to Hairless, really can't be done in Darwin. I still think that something is biting him and he is allergic to whatever it is.

Sorry, I hit the underlined name, and sent an email to it????? Hopefully I will get a reply. Thanks muchly.