Puppy Milk

mini_dachie

What age can I allow my pup to drink puppy milk (I mean the cartons from the shops) He hasn't ever been interested in water so I put out milk too so he won't dehydrate. I have started mixing in water. He is now 12 weeks and still doesn't want water. Any thoughts?

I would add water to his food instead (depending on what it is). Maybe he's just not a big drinker. Pups don't need milk once they are weaned.

Everything I have read on this subject suggests that pups do not need milk (other than that from their mother while they are babies) and that stuff you can buy in the cartons "Puppy Milk" or whatever it's called is just a waste of money! :D

Make sure your pup has access to clean, cool, fresh water at all times. A healthy pup will not just NOT drink if it's thirsty. As Tess said, maybe he's just not a big drinker? :laugh:

Why would the puppy want to drink water if you're providing milk? If I put down a bowl of water and a bowl of milk for any of my dogs (not that I ever do), they would choose the milk every time. Your dog needs to drink water to be healthy so stop giving him milk, he'll drink water when he's thirsty and realises that there is no alternative.

My poodle pup was put on that puppy milk by the bredder.

IMO, it's not really good but he just would not drink plain water.

Then, he must have seen one of my cats drink from their water fountain (Catit electric fountain with a dome)

and that's where he drinks from now. In the meantime, I have slowly added water to the puppy milk and I am down to one small bowl at breakfast.