Dog Trainer Courses

What about the Australian Dog Trainers Academy? Anyone have thoughts/comments/experience with them?

Sorry to hijack your thread RF, but the 5 - 10 hours per weeks I find myself helping out other LGD breed owners, I'm thinking I should explore some accreditation instead of just chaos experience :)

They offer different qualifications.

Delta offers Cert IV in Companion Animal Services

NDTF offers Certificate III in Dog Behaviour and Training

Look into both and see which one suits you better. I really enjoyed NDTF :)

They offer different qualifications.

Delta offers Cert IV in Companion Animal Services

NDTF offers Certificate III in Dog Behaviour and Training

Look into both and see which one suits you better. I really enjoyed NDTF :)

Thanks Helen and Kavik

I'm looking into helping train/start LGDs for stock work both pups and adults, and problems encountered during ownership etc -

hmm will see what the courses have to offer ;)

Just so you know lilli- the delta course docuses on positive reinforcement only training while the NDTF course it a bit broader. I do know people who have loved the delta course but i think it depends what type of training you want to do and what dogs your dealing with.

Just so you know lilli- the delta course docuses on positive reinforcement only training while the NDTF course it a bit broader. I do know people who have loved the delta course but i think it depends what type of training you want to do and what dogs your dealing with.

thanks cosmolo - is NDTF the only course that looks at all theories?

AFAIK its the only course that offers government recognised qualifications that covers all theories...thats why I chose it :love:

(Haven might come on and correct me on the use of the word 'qualifications' as opposed to 'accreditation' as she did once in the past....I can't remember exactly what she said, but I think it is that the course itself is government accredited, but the trainer ends up with qualifications....?)

Unless you are happy to do a highly recommended course for personal development only, like the ones offered by K9 Force for example, check completion of the course you are interested in will result in a nationally recognised qualification.

The only ones that currently do to my knowledge are the Certificate IV in Companion Animal Services offered by Delta and the Certificate III in Dog Behaviour and Training offered by NDTF in conjunction with Precise Training.

From there I would just research as much as you can in order to decide which is for you. I haven't done the Delta course so I can't comment on whether or not it is any good, but I would only recommend it if you were only interested in learning about and applying the so called "positive only" style of training.

If you are interstate from Victoria both courses will require you to travel to and stay in Vic for two blocks of practical training.

The Delta course is a bit more expensive, but includes the cost of accommodation during the practical training blocks. I believe though that you are also expected to purchase a number of training books as course materials on top of the course fees, can anyone who has done the Delta course confirm?

ROM, your terminology is correct :laugh:

Remember to think about what you want to be qualified to do- i did the NDTF course because i wanted to have a cert that had behavioural components recognised as well as wanting to learn about all the elements of training.

Australian Dog Trainers Academy also have an Nationally accredited course 'Conduct Companion Animal Training Classes RUV4512A'.

That sounds like a module or component, rather than a course.

With the Delta run course you certainly learn about the different methods of operant conditioning etc. They just have ideas about which of those techniques they consider are safe and humane for dogs, in relation to your average Joe Citizen dog owner.

The Delta course is fashioned from a different angle, and has other facets- Pet Partners, Canine Good Citizen Award and Delta Dog Safe programs. So it needs to compliment and run in line as such.

Mel.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Australian Dog Trainers Academy also have an Nationally accredited course 'Conduct Companion Animal Training Classes RUV4512A'.

That sounds like a module or component, rather than a course.

It is. RUV4512 Conduct Companion Animal Training Classes is included in both the NDTF and Delta courses. It is a single module.