Femur Bones (beef Or Lamb)

laffi

Weight baring bones are a lot harder than other types of bones and can actually cause teeth damage. Some people choose not to feed them at all, others are happy to give them once in awhile. The entire bone cannot be consumed, so you may need to chuck the remaining piece(s) if you don't want them lying around the house or garden (which I wouldn't recommend) or buried somewhere.

I'm personally not a fan of leg bones as I've had them crack in half on more than one occaision and lodge over my dogs gums and teeth. I've also had a splinter of bone break off and lodge itself between Nova's teeth across the width of her mouth.

If you are going to feed them, I would recommend that you supervise them the entire time.

Brisket bones are a better option, marrow bones are very hard and will wear down teeth and sometimes even break them. It is also possible for larger dogs to break off quite sizeable pieces and swallow them, usually anything that a dog manages to get down its throat will either be vomited up or come out of the other end, but large pieces of marrow bone have the potential to cause obstruction.