Bitches In Season

chicko

Hey guys

I know this has been done to death before but i cant seem to find much information.

I know a season normally lasts about 3 weeks correct..?

When in this time are they most fertile?

What are the signs over these 3 weeks so you definetly know they are?

Do they bleed the first week and what happens the 2nd and 3rd weeks?

When will i know when the season is over?

(She will be kept inside all the time she is in season and i have a very secure yard)

Sorry about all the questions, just havent had a female dog before =)

A season usually lasts around 21 days, as a general rule they bleed for about 10 days then the discharge becomes straw coloured and they are usually receptive anywhere between 10 and 16 days, the 12th day is often the first day of standing heat for a lot of bitches. During the last week the vulva which was previously quite swollen will return to its normal size although if they've conceived it usually remains slightly swollen.

However all bitches are different, some will actually bleed throughout the whole three weeks, some may ovulate very early and some ovulate much, much later. A few bitches are tarts and will stand for a male regardless of whether they are ready or not.

IF you just have a bitch and no male you shouldn't have any problems, just make sure that you supervise her while she's outside and ensure that she can't get out and that any wandering dogs can't get in. Most of my bitches are right out by 17/18 days and will take a dog's head off if he even thinks of going near that end.

Thanks for the info.

I do have a male but he has been desexed so nothign to worry about there. I thought he might be interested in her but he hasnt shown any signs apart from sniffing her down there.

I hope he stays that way, don't be surprised if he ties with her, it can happen :happydance: