Mortal Combat (on The Flea Population)

Well...the war is on!

I found fleas on my little furburger (aka Mazza) 2 days ago so hit him with frontline (even though it had only been 2 weeks since last treatment) did a quick clean and sat back and relaxed.....BIG MISTAKE!

This morning I found adult fleas on him again...now it's personal :eek:

My newly formed strategy is....

Capstar tablets every 2-3 days

Wash with flea shampoo (in the next hour when I pull myself off DOL and the capstar has been put to work)

Frontline fortnightly until current supply runs out....hints for better product welcome

Obsessive vacuuming of carpets and (plus washing of) bedding

Do I have a chance of winning this war? Is there anything else I should be doing? Pesky little buggers are in "plague proportions" in the illawarra at the moment according to petbarn woman...although I suspect this is the case everywhere?

Wish me luck :eek:

Personally I dont use Frontline but I have heard lots of others comment the formula has changed and its not as effective as it used to be. Perhaps try Advantage or another? And dont forget you need to wait 24-48hrs after washing the dog til applying the flea treatment.

Lime around your yard is apparently also good for nuking the buggers.

Good luck in your mission :eek:

The frontline will be working the problem you have is environment,Vaccuming will do nothing to reduce fleas,washing blankets will only work if you use a hot wash at least 60C and tumble dry on max heat setting to kill all stages of the flea lifecycle.

1.Keep up the frontline every 2 weeks. - as any hair that fall off your dog still have the insecticide on them ,These hairs act as an indirect method of killing and sterilising adults, while stopping immature fleas from growing into egg laying adults.

2. put all bedding in full sunlight - sunlight will kill eggs etc

3.Treat your house inside and out use a product that has a residual effect.

OUTSIDE - KO tablets are great you can get them HERE do not put on the dogs

Bomb the house ALL rooms then repeat again in around 3 weeks to get the life stages protected the first bombing.

4.block off all access to underneath the house.

Only bath as necessary not every couple of days as the frontline will take another 24hrs to spread again leaving a window for reinfestation.

ETA - all pets must be treated at the same time.

Edited by sheree_e4

I found Fontline wasn't as effective as Advantix.

When we had a flea problem we flea bombed the house and garage. I then used Malawash (Malaban) to wash the bedding and then give the yard and verandah a good drenching - I repeated the spraying with Malawash every weekend for about 2 or 3 months.